Allen Cutlery Co. Newburgh, N.Y.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Allen Cutlery Co. Newburgh, N.Y.

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:12 pm Very.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:56 pm Thank you for posting them Dimitri. ::tu:: ::tu::
How about a small family reunion of "ALLEN" cousins?
You're welcome Skip ::handshake::

These knives are simple but I really like them, very nice group of them you have there ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this pocket knife became the latest addition to my collection and to this topic/thread. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife. This is my third fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. The other two have been previously posted under this topic/thread. There are no MAKER markings other than U.S.A. on the handle. One side of the handle advertises "TERMINAL CAFE - BROAD OLNEY - BARRY, MARTY, JACK, PAT, TONY, CHAS" and the other side says nothing. I bought this particular pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar style/pattern. This particular fob/key ring pocket knife has a slide lock which works fine. It needed no cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

Here is the link to the Eagle Knife Company topic/thread:
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 35&t=62550
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:03 pm This morning, this pocket knife became the latest addition to my collection and to this topic/thread. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife. There are no MAKER markings other than U.S.A. on the handle. One side of the handle advertises "TERMINAL CAFE - BROAD OLNEY - BARRY, MARTY, JACK, PAT, TONY, CHAS" and the other side says nothing. I bought this particular pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar style/pattern. This particular fob/key ring pocket knife has a slide lock which works fine. It needed no cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

Very clean looking knife Skip. Another nice addition!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:35 pm Very.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this pocket knife became the latest addition to my collection and to this topic/thread. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife. This is my fourth fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. The other three have been previously posted under this topic/thread. There are no MAKER markings other than U.S.A. on the handle. One side of the handle advertises "READING AUTO RADIATOR WORKS - 520 SPRUCE ST. FR 4-8856" and the other side says nothing. I bought this particular pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar style/pattern. This particular fob/key ring pocket knife has a slide lock which works fine. It needed no cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:44 pm This morning, this pocket knife became the latest addition to my collection and to this topic/thread. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife.
Another nice find Skip. Very clean piece. ::tu::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:42 pm Another.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻
The "style" of the telephone number on it, FR 4-8856 (two letters & five numbers), dates it to the 1930's.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 35&t=71682

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this pocket knife became the latest addition to my collection and to this topic/thread. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife. This is my fifth fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. The other four have been previously posted under this topic/thread. There are no MAKER markings other than U.S.A. on the handle. One side of the handle advertises "FICKES SERVICE STATION - NEWVILLE, PH. 191-J PA." and the other side says nothing. I bought this particular pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar style/pattern. This particular fob/key ring pocket knife has a slide lock which works fine. It needed no cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62550
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:00 pm This morning, this pocket knife became the latest addition to my collection and to this topic/thread. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife. This is my fifth fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. The other four have been previously posted under this topic/thread. There are no MAKER markings other than U.S.A. on the handle. One side of the handle advertises "FICKES SERVICE STATION - NEWVILLE, PH. 191-J PA." and the other side says nothing. I bought this particular pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar style/pattern. This particular fob/key ring pocket knife has a slide lock which works fine. It needed no cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
::tu:: ::tu:: Great shape. Another fine addition.

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:45 pm Great.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, this pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic/thread and to my collection. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife. This is my sixth fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. The other five have been previously posted under this topic/thread. There are no MAKER markings other than U.S.A. on the handle. The handle has 99% of the factory applied coating. This is only my second one of this pattern or style that has the factory applied coating on the handles. I am now pretty sure that the coating IS PAINT and not some other substance. The main handle side advertises "GEM-KLEIN PHOTO CORP. - NEW YORK N.Y." The other handle side says nothing. I bought this particular pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar style/pattern. This particular fob/key ring pocket knife has a slide lock which works fine. It needed no cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

Here is the link to the other, previously posted pocket knife that is similar to this one:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7445&start=135#p930524
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:11 pm This afternoon, this pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic/thread and to my collection. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife. This is my sixth fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. The other five have been previously posted under this topic/thread. There are no MAKER markings other than U.S.A. on the handle. The handle has 99% of the factory applied coating. This is only my second one of this pattern or style that has the factory applied coating on the handles. I am now pretty sure that the coating IS PAINT and not some other substance. The main handle side advertises "GEM-KLEIN PHOTO CORP. - NEW YORK N.Y." The other handle side says nothing. I bought this particular pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar style/pattern. This particular fob/key ring pocket knife has a slide lock which works fine. It needed no cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Seems to have had very little use. The coating in really good shape. Good find Skip. ::tu::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:28 pm Seems.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I'm posting the following pocket knife for posterity and for reference. The pocket knife is NOT mine.
The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures are the seller's and have not been edited or altered, except for size.

I stumbled upon this one just a bit too late. I was wondering how long it would take for one of these to emerge, under the ALLEN CUTLERY COMPANY (1917-1925) brand. It consists of three parts only. The handle, the blade and a pin. It has the legitimate ALLEN CUTLERY COMPANY handle. I'm not sure about the originality of the pin. At least it isn't a nail. It has the correct patent stamp on the handle. The blade however, is from a different piece of cutlery, from a different company. The blade is tang stamped ENDERES in a rectangle shaped box. Depending on which GOINS book you look at, ENDERES existed from 1916-1926, or from 1917-1918. The time frames for the existence of the two different cutlery companies, ALLEN and ENDERES, for the most part, include each other. I think that somewhere in the history of this pocket knife, a previous owner broke two different pocket knives and rather than buy a new one or new ones, he put the surviving parts together and made this one. But.......who knows for sure. Still, it makes an interesting conversation piece. Congratulations to the new owner. If you ever want to part with it, PM me.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This beauty did NOT get away from me. It arrived this morning and became the latest pocket knife to join my collection. It's an ALLEN CUTLERY COMPANY, NEWBURGH N.Y. (1917-1925), all metal, single blade, 4" closed, hawkbill pruner or pattern No. 30, pocket knife. The manufacturer stamp and the patent stamp are both on the handle. There is no tang stamp. It did not need any cleaning. I guesstimate that there is about 90% of the original, factory applied handle oxidation remaining. Overall, it is in GREAT condition. It has a VERY good half stop and a VERY nasty snap. This particular pocket knife has NOT been previously posted. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:19 pm This beauty did NOT get away from me. It arrived this morning and became the latest pocket knife to join my collection. It's an ALLEN CUTLERY COMPANY, NEWBURGH N.Y. (1917-1925), all metal, single blade, 4" closed, hawkbill pruner or pattern No. 30, pocket knife. The manufacturer stamp and the patent stamp are both on the handle. There is no tang stamp. It did not need any cleaning. I guesstimate that there is about 90% of the original, factory applied handle oxidation remaining. Overall, it is in GREAT condition. It has a VERY good half stop and a VERY nasty snap. This particular pocket knife has NOT been previously posted. I took some pictures and here it is.
Very nice find Skip. I believe that is the best looking Allen Cut. Co. Hawkbill (as far as blade profile and condition) that you have posted. ::tu:: ::tu::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 am Very.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻
I believe that this one, that I posted back in June,
is a pretty close second, if not better. ::shrug::
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7445&start=120#p928922

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this became the latest pocket knife to join my collection. It is another G. SCHRADE - KNIFE CO. INC. - B'PORT. CT. - U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, 3" closed, all metal, advertising pocket knife. This is my fourth pocket knife in this pattern or style. It is my second pocket knife in this pattern or style that advertises this particular product. I bought this pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. They are all posted throughout this topic/thread. It did not need cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:00 pm This morning, this became the latest pocket knife to join my collection. It is another G. SCHRADE - KNIFE CO. INC. - B'PORT. CT. - U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, 3" closed, all metal, advertising pocket knife. This is my fourth pocket knife in this pattern or style. It is my second pocket knife in this pattern or style that advertises this particular product. I bought this pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. They are all posted throughout this topic/thread. It did not need cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Another nice find Skip. Really like the NuGrape promos. ::tu::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:34 pm Another....
Thank you Smitty.🍻

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:00 pm This morning, this became the latest pocket knife to join my collection. It is another G. SCHRADE - KNIFE CO. INC. - B'PORT. CT. - U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, 3" closed, all metal, advertising pocket knife. This is my fourth pocket knife in this pattern or style. It is my second pocket knife in this pattern or style that advertises this particular product. I bought this pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. They are all posted throughout this topic/thread. It did not need cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Some pretty neat pieces you’ve been showing here Skip ::tu:: ::tu::
That Nu - Grape one is cool. Thanks for taking the time to post the info w/ pics,very interesting read.
Take care out there.
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:51 pm Some.....
Thank you JP.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, this pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic/thread and to my collection. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife. It has a slide that locks the blade open and it also allows the pocket knife to be closed. This is my seventh fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. The other six have ALL been previously posted under this topic/thread. There are no maker markings other than U.S.A. on the handle. The main handle side advertises "BOB GOSCHE CO. - MAdison 6-5641" The other handle side says nothing. I bought this pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:00 pm This afternoon, this pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic/thread and to my collection. It's another U.S.A., single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, all metal, 3" closed, advertising fob/key ring pocket knife. It has a slide that locks the blade open and it also allows the pocket knife to be closed. This is my seventh fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. The other six have ALL been previously posted under this topic/thread. There are no maker markings other than U.S.A. on the handle. The main handle side advertises "BOB GOSCHE CO. - MAdison 6-5641" The other handle side says nothing. I bought this pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Another nice looking addition Skip. ::tu::

Smitty

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”