Allen Cutlery Co. Newburgh, N.Y.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Allen Cutlery Co. Newburgh, N.Y.

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This particular pocket knife got by me and I found it after the auction. ::dang:: 😡
I am posting this for posterity and as a reference. This G. SCHRADE pocket knife is
a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and other cutlery
companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. The knife
is NOT mine. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures are the seller's and have NOT
been edited, altered or enhanced by me, EXCEPT for the size.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

***** If the owner of THIS pocket knife wishes to sell it, I am NOT a cheapskate.
I will offer more than a fair price for it. Feel free to PM me. Thank you. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Somehow, this pocket knife got by me and I found it long after the sale. ::dang:: 😡
I am posting this for posterity and as a reference. This G. SCHRADE pocket knife is
a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and other cutlery
companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. The knife
is NOT mine. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures are the seller's and have NOT
been edited, altered or enhanced by me, EXCEPT for the size.

***** If the owner of THIS pocket knife wishes to sell it, I am NOT a cheapskate.
I will offer more than a fair price for it. Feel free to PM me. Thank you. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I am posting this ALLEN CUTLERY CO. pocket knife for posterity.
I am posting this ALLEN CUTLERY CO. pocket knife for reference.
The picture was found in a general Google search. It has not been
edited, altered or enhanced in any manner, EXCEPT for the size.

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.61 KiB) Viewed 2614 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!!

It has been a long held popular belief that Newburgh, New York only had the one cutlery or knife manufacturing company. That one cutlery or knife manufacturing company was called the ALLEN CUTLERY COMPANY. They existed from 1917 to 1925. While I was looking for things to post under this "Knife Lore....." forum, under the "Knives in the news" topic, I found this article. It was in a September 23, 1947, Newburgh, N.Y. newspaper. It announced a new factory opening, "The Newburgh Metal Manufacturing Company." In the first picture, near the end of the second paragraph, we get our first clue, ".....of toy aluminum cutlery." In the second picture, near the end of the second paragraph, we get our second and final clue, "Next spring, they plan to produce a new type patented pocket knife." The third picture is a small teaser that I found when I did a very general Google search. This should be fun, but probably will end up being a frustrating investigation. Still, to find a pocket knife that was made by this manufacturer, if any were actually produced, talk about a "grail" knife!! Let the fun begin.....!!
Click on a picture to ENLARGE (Not picture #2).
Attachments
Picture #1 - First clue, <br />&quot;.....of toy aluminum cutlery.&quot;
Picture #1 - First clue,
".....of toy aluminum cutlery."
Picture #2 - Second and final clue, <br />&quot;Next spring, they plan to produce <br />a new type patented pocket knife.&quot;
Picture #2 - Second and final clue,
"Next spring, they plan to produce
a new type patented pocket knife."
image.jpeg (53.26 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
Picture #3 - A Twitter reference to<br />&quot;The Newburgh Metal Manufacturing Company.&quot;<br />What Exactly Is In The Mentioned Kitchen Set?
Picture #3 - A Twitter reference to
"The Newburgh Metal Manufacturing Company."
What Exactly Is In The Mentioned Kitchen Set?

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this advertising pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is another single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, all metal, 3" closed, fob/key ring pocket knife. It has a slide that unlocks the blade, open or closed and it also locks the blade, open or closed. This is my ninth fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. The other eight have ALL been previously posted under this topic or thread. "U.S.A." is stamped on the handle. It is the only maker mark or stamp.The main handle side advertises "OASIS BAR - HOBART, IND." The other handle side says nothing. I bought this pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company, the G Schrade Knife Company and the other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. I gave it a very minor cleaning. It is in VERY GOOD condition. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:45 am ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!!

It has been a long held popular belief that Newburgh, New York only had the one cutlery or knife manufacturing company. That one cutlery or knife manufacturing company was called the ALLEN CUTLERY COMPANY. They existed from 1917 to 1925. While I was looking for things to post under this "Knife Lore....." forum, under the "Knives in the news" topic, I found this article. It was in a September 23, 1947, Newburgh, N.Y. newspaper. It announced a new factory opening, "The Newburgh Metal Manufacturing Company." In the first picture, near the end of the second paragraph, we get our first clue, ".....of toy aluminum cutlery." In the second picture, near the end of the second paragraph, we get our second and final clue, "Next spring, they plan to produce a new type patented pocket knife." The third picture is a small teaser that I found when I did a very general Google search. This should be fun, but probably will end up being a frustrating investigation. Still, to find a pocket knife that was made by this manufacturer, if any were actually produced, talk about a "grail" knife!! Let the fun begin.....!!
Click on a picture to ENLARGE (Not picture #2).
Interesting information Skip, I think they we're more into assembly and casting metal products than a typical cutlery company.

I have seen the toy aluminum cutlery, the patented knife handle could be a cast aluminum handle that was used on some patented knives I have seen over the years.

Thanks for posting this and it will be interesting to see if more information turns up in the future ::handshake::
AAPK Janitor
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Miller Bro's wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:38 pm Interesting.....
Thank you, Dimitri. 🍻
The article does not mention a patented knife handle, it says
"Next spring, they plan to produce a new type patented pocket knife."
::handshake::

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday afternoon, I rescued this pocket knife from the clutches of the postal service. It became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is another ALLEN CUTLERY CO., NEWBURGH N.Y. (1917-1925), single blade, 3 1/2" closed, two stamps, all metal, pocket knife. One stamp, the patent stamp, is on the handle. The other stamp, the maker stamp, is on the tang and partially worn off. This pocket knife has handles with a "design" or "grips" carved into them. This is only my second "ALLEN" with this particular style of handles. The other one has been previously posted under this topic or thread. This pocket knife needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture shows the two "design" handled pocket knives together.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, this became the latest pocket knife to join this topic or thread and my collection. It is a single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, 3" closed, 1 tang stamp, all metal pocket knife. It has an "ETCHED P. CO. - L.I.C.N.Y." tang stamp. All three GOINS books that I checked said the same thing, "Etched in L.I.C.N.Y. c 1933." This is my eighth pocket knife in this pattern or style. This is my second pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that has this particular tang stamp and that advertises this particular event. The main side says nothing, but it has the "Sky Ride" graphics. The other side says "1934 - CHICAGO" and has some graphics also. I bought this pattern or style of pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and some other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. They are ALL posted and scattered throughout this topic or thread. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is.

***** This pocket knife is a souvenir of "A Century of Progress International Exposition", also known as
the "Chicago World's Fair." It was a World's Fair held in the city of Chicago, Illinois, from 1933 to 1934. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

Lots of cool new additions sense my last vist here. ::tu:: Good stuff Skip! ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:03 am Lots.....
Thank you, Tom. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:45 am ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!! ***** BREAKING NEWS!!!

It has been a long held popular belief that Newburgh, New York only had the one cutlery or knife manufacturing company. That one cutlery or knife manufacturing company was called the ALLEN CUTLERY COMPANY. They existed from 1917 to 1925. While I was looking for things to post under this "Knife Lore....." forum, under the "Knives in the news" topic, I found this article. It was in a September 23, 1947, Newburgh, N.Y. newspaper. It announced a new factory opening, the "Newburgh Metal Manufacturing Company." In the first picture, near the end of the second paragraph, we get our first clue, ".....of toy aluminum cutlery." In the second picture, near the end of the second paragraph, we get our second and final clue, "Next spring, they plan to produce a new type patented pocket knife." The third picture is a small teaser that I found when I did a very general Google search. This should be fun, but probably will end up being a frustrating investigation. Still, to find a pocket knife that was made by this manufacturer, if any were actually produced, talk about a "grail" knife!! Let the fun begin.....!!
Along with the newspaper article, I originally posted the above text back on December 12, 2021.
I just recently found the ad posted below for the "Newburgh Metal Manufacturing Corp." in a
January 1948, New York newspaper. It mentions nothing about pocket knives or cutlery in general.
But that doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't manufacture pocket knives or cutlery in general.
Even though the original article calls it a "Company" and the ad calls it a "Corporation", I'm fairly
certain that they are the same business.

Click on the link to read the previously posted newspaper article.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=35&t=7445&p=971198#pr971198
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.46 KiB) Viewed 2523 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, this became the latest pocket knife to join this topic or thread and my collection. It is a single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, 3" closed, one tang stamp, all metal, pocket knife. It has an "ETCHED P. CO. - L.I.C.N.Y." tang stamp. All three GOINS books that I checked said the same thing, "Etched in L.I.C.N.Y. c 1933." This is my ninth pocket knife in this pattern or style. This is my third pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that has this particular tang stamp and that advertises this particular event. The main side says nothing, but it has the "Sky Ride" graphics. The other side says "1934 - CHICAGO" and has some graphics also. I bought this pattern or style of pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and some other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. ALL are posted throughout this topic or thread. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is.

***** This pocket knife is a souvenir of "A Century of Progress International Exposition", also known as
the "Chicago World's Fair." It was a World's Fair held in the city of Chicago, Illinois, from 1933 to 1934. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Those world fair knives are very attractive Skip ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Miller Bro's wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:31 pm Those.....
Thank you, Dimitri. 🍻

Skip
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have not seen these 1934 Chicago "L.I.C. N.Y." knives before. They are very good looking knives as has already been said.
kj
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:38 am I.....
Thank you, Roland. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today, this became the latest pocket knife to join this topic or thread and my collection. It is a single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, 3" closed, single tang stamp, all metal, pocket knife. It has an "ETCHED P. CO. - L.I.C.N.Y." tang stamp. All three GOINS books that I checked said the same thing, "Etched in L.I.C.N.Y. c 1933." This is my tenth pocket knife in this pattern or style. This is my fourth souvenir or tourist pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that features this particular event. However, this is my first and only, so far, "1933 CHICAGO" pocket knife. The three "1934 CHICAGO" pocket knives have ALL been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main side says nothing, but it has some graphics and a space for engraving. The other side says "1933 - CHICAGO" and has some graphics also. I bought this pattern or style of pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and some other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. They are ALL posted and scattered throughout this topic or thread. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is.

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:30 am Today, this became the latest pocket knife to join this topic or thread and my collection. It is a single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, 3" closed, single tang stamp, all metal, pocket knife. It has an "ETCHED P. CO. - L.I.C.N.Y." tang stamp. All three GOINS books that I checked said the same thing, "Etched in L.I.C.N.Y. c 1933." This is my tenth pocket knife in this pattern or style. This is my fourth souvenir or tourist pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that features this particular event. However, this is my first and only, so far, "1933 CHICAGO" pocket knife. The three "1934 CHICAGO" pocket knives have ALL been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main side says nothing, but it has some graphics and a space for engraving. The other side says "1933 - CHICAGO" and has some graphics also. I bought this pattern or style of pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and some other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. They are ALL posted and scattered throughout this topic or thread. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is.

Interesting Read and a lot of neat info . Didn’t know the 1933 Worlds Fair went into ‘34 . The graphics and colors with these knives are great ,very neat knives . Great stuff here Skip . ::tu:: ::tu::
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:39 am Interesting.....
Thank you, JP. 🍻
Much appreciated.
::handshake::

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I found this "ALLEN" while searching for something else. ::dang:: 😡
Of course, it was many days after the auction had ended.
I'm posting this for posterity and for future reference.
It is a single blade "ALLEN." It is patent stamped on the handle.
It is maker stamped on the blade tang.
The knife is NOT mine. The pictures are NOT mine.
The pictures belong to the seller.
They have NOT been edited, altered or enhanced by me, EXCEPT for size.

***** If the owner of this pocket knife wishes to sell it, feel free to PM me. I am definitely NOT a cheapskate. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This particular pocket knife did NOT elude me. It arrived yesterday afternoon and became the latest example to be added to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is an ALLEN CUTLERY CO., NEWBURGH N.Y. (1917-1925), single blade, all metal, "Boys' Pattern" pocket knife. It measures 3 1/8" closed. It has two stamps. Both stamps, the maker stamp AND the patent stamp are on the handle. This one has definitely seen some use. To say that the blade is rough is putting it mildly. It looks like it was "sharpened" with a chainsaw. But, it has no wobble, has a great half stop and a NASTY closing snap. It also has the hole in the handle for the "chain and shackle." It needed to be cleaned. I cleaned what I could, I took some pictures and here it is.

***** The last picture is of an ad, showing the various "ALLEN" handle patterns & blade styles that were available. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving this morning, this became the latest pocket knife to join this topic or thread and my collection. It is a single blade, cap lifter/bottle opener handle, 3" closed, single tang stamp, all metal, advertising pocket knife. It has a G. SCHRADE - KNIFE CO. INC. - B' PORT, CT. - U.S.A. tang stamp. This is my eleventh pocket knife in this pattern or style. This is my first advertising pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that features this particular product. The main side says "MORE FLAVOR FOR YOUR MONEY SunCrest." The other side says "SunCrest MORE FLAVOR FOR YOUR MONEY." I obtained this pattern or style of pocket knife because it is a "cousin" of the Allen Cutlery Company, the Eagle Knife Company and some other cutlery companies that manufactured pocket knives of a similar pattern or style. They are ALL posted and scattered throughout this topic or thread. Just a tiny bit of the original enamel remains. It did not need to be cleaned. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
Per Wikipedia.....
"The Sun Crest brand of soft drinks was introduced by the National NuGrape Company of Atlanta, Georgia, in 1938 as a flavor line and sister brand to NuGrape, 2-Way lemon lime, and Kickapoo Joy Juice. Sun Crest was acquired along with NuGrape in 1968 by The Moxie Company (renamed Moxie-Monarch-NuGrape Company and later Monarch Beverage Company). Hedinger Brands, LLC. purchased the Sun Crest brand from Monarch in 2007 along with Dad's Root Beer, Bubble Up and Dr. Wells brands, and licensed the brand to The Dad's Root Beer Company, LLC. The Dad's Root Beer Company headquarters is located in Jasper, Indiana. From the 1970s until the early 1990s, Sun Crest branded lime soda, sarsaparilla, grape soda, and cherry soda were sold in the UK at Happy Shopper stores, and delivered in glass bottles by milkmen from the Co-Op. Since 2016, the UK branch of Sun Crest has also begun selling exotic fruit juice such as pineapple, passion fruit, grapefruit, and coconut water in supermarkets like Sainsburys. As of 2021, the only Sun Crest branded soda still available in the UK is sparkling grape juice."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great additions Skip! ::tu:: I especially like the Sun Crest! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:12 pm Great.....
Thank you, Tom.🍻

Skip

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”