Sheffield contrivances?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Tasky

Sheffield contrivances?

Post by Tasky »

A quote from Moby-Dick, published in 1851:
"He was like one of those unreasoning but still highly useful Sheffield contrivances, assuming the exterior—though a little swelled—of a common pocket knife; but containing, not only blades of various sizes, but also screw-drivers, cork-screws, tweezers, awls, pens, rulers, nail-filers, countersinkers."

I've seen multiplex knives of this period from Wostenholm et al, and noted most of those tools... but never ones with rulers, countersinks or pens, the last one presumably a steel point dipping-pen nib rather than a fountain pen.

Are there any examples with such tools on them?
WARNING: This forum post contains words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sheffield contrivances?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have seen knives having those tools, but can’t recall seeing a single knife having all of them on it. Various posts on this forum contain pictures of knives having them. Here’s one of mine by Rather & Co. that sports several of them, and a couple not mentioned - a button hook (which likely had not come into fashionable use by 1851) an earwax spoon, scissors, a mustache comb, and a toothpick. I also have one somewhere made by Ibberson that has a ruler.

I’m sure others will be along with more examples but if not a keyword search here for sportsman, horseman, and farrier knife will find examples. ::tu::

Ken
52D398A6-D74A-4B54-91B1-AC138842BD68.jpeg
Attachments
6EF466E0-0A79-41F8-A669-C89A5C7F66A9.jpeg
593B1D70-65A1-4750-8EA8-1749A430FDED.jpeg
058827B6-3147-4D2F-8FAB-7F1EACD74CED.jpeg
058827B6-3147-4D2F-8FAB-7F1EACD74CED.jpeg (42.73 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mason

Post by Mason »

1851 was certainly a banner year with the release of Moby Dick as well as what was considered the first great world exhibition. It was held at the Crystal Palace in London, England, which was specifically built for that exhibition. While there were fantastic multi-blade knives produced well before 1851, that exhibition introduced some of the finest products ever created from around the world, including knives. Enclosed is one such example from Joseph Rodgers called the "Norfolk Knife".

But the question was specifically asking about knives that had rulers, countersinks, and pens. Rulers on knife handles date back to at least 1816 as shown in Joseph Smith's book, and separate thin rulers were seen at least by the mid-1800s. Those rulers usually slid into the end of the handle similar to other tools like scissors, tweezers and picks. Later thin metal rulers folded along side folded blades. Countersinks were most likely reaming tools which were common. And while the word "pen" may have been a steel point type used to dip into ink wells, more likely they were mechanical pencils which were created in England in 1822 and became quite popular. Small mechanical pencils were sometimes used as a folding accessory on knife handles in the mid-1800s and later.
Attachments
Rodgers cat 1938 2 (2).jpg
Tasky

Post by Tasky »

I'm trying to consider the context in which Melville mentions those specific tools, and who might use them, to give an idea of the social class of market and thus the design. Someone who needs to write, draw straight lines and/or measure short lengths, and who also uses craftsman's tools....?
I'm guessing woodworker of some sort.

Rulers I can easily see being small strips of metal, or actual blades on a knife.

I haven't found any countersinks on knives, but even the antique handheld versions are shorter and wider than the typical reamers. I'm not sure how these would be fitted to a pocketknife, unless perhaps as a pommel device?

The pen is what's got me thinking, though - Melville specifically said pen, not pencil, and I imagine an educated author from a relatively well-off background would know the difference, while choosing words for specific reason. I have now found some examples of the folding mechanical pencils, but only on rather ornate knives. A pen nib would have been much cheaper and more easily implemented.

These three tools, along with mention of screwdrivers and awls, suggest Melvilles experience of such knives comes from seeing them in the hands of woodworkers and other craftsmen - More working class than the sort usually associated with ornate vermeil knives with finely crafted mechanical tools.
Furthermore, the passage quoted is actually describing the ship's carpenter, so again suggestive of craftsmans tools than those of gentlemen.

I could, of course, be very wrong in my guessing and I couldn't guess further without seeing examples of such tools on a knife.
WARNING: This forum post contains words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Mason

Post by Mason »

So, you don't think Melville took any liberties with his writing? :)
Throughout time, writers and reporters often got (and still do) details wrong even with the best intentions. But the point that some knives were geared towards specific purposes is certainly valid. One large problem is that not only did most cutlery companies from the 19th century fail to describe their knives in any greater form than "one", "two", or "three" blade models, they also rarely defined what tools were offered beyond just a picture of the knife itself. So, a bit of guess work is often needed to tell one implement from another. Descriptions of knives and their usage didn't really appear until the 20th century in factory catalogs or advertisements. Enclosed is one such ad from 1907 showing an engineer's knife with a proper description of the tools included. Note the folding metal ruler.

In the 1800s, the common man only had a common knife. The "fancy" models were owned by those who could afford them and were not the average mechanics of the day.
Attachments
Sheffield Engineers Knife .jpg
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Dr. Howard Melnick, now deceased, had a large collection of such knives.

A good many of them were shown in Levine’s Guide.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Tasky

Post by Tasky »

Mason wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:33 pm So, you don't think Melville took any liberties with his writing? :)
In some ways, perhaps... But then, Melville did spend five years at sea, crewing merchant ships and whalers, as well as serving a stint aboard a US Navy frigate. I would like to think that technical details like tools or sailing techniques would have been faithfully represented for the most part. There would be plenty of maritime officers among his upper middle-class audience that might reject his written works as nonsense, if he didn't get that side of things correct. Worth noting that many of his works seem to be about sailors and being at sea.
Mason wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:33 pmIn the 1800s, the common man only had a common knife. The "fancy" models were owned by those who could afford them and were not the average mechanics of the day.
Very true... yet I am reminded of the accounts of a friend of mine, who apprenticed as a woodworker in the early 1950s. Back then it was still 'old school' where tools were well-made and made to last a lifetime or more, and were accordingly expensive. The first thing an apprentice did with his first salary payment was to go and buy a jack plane. The next payment was spent on a set of chisels, the one after that on a dovetail saw, then a tenon saw, then a smoothing plane, and so on. That's how a working craftsman got his own tools in those days, and the following months would comprise exercises in which he'd practice using whichever one he'd most recently acquired.
A single tool might have cost a whole month's salary, but it would (if properly looked after) last a man's whole career.

So, while such things might have been expensive to a common man, they were a necessary expense to a carpenter, especially one aboard a ship where space was often limited. Admitedly, Melville isn't describing an actual tool as such, rather using the description of one to characterise a person... but in order to accurately convey that person, the tool description would need to be pretty realistic in order to properly convey the idea.

But again, I could also be wrong and Melville simply concocted the same semi-fantastical idea of multiplex knives as we do in memes about Swiss Army Knives today! :lol:

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:26 pm Dr. Howard Melnick, now deceased, had a large collection of such knives.
Is there an online archive of these, perhaps? ::pray::
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Just an aside. MOBY DICK is a great book. The movie is one of my favorites. Gregory Peck and Leo Genn are superb. It does a credible job.They say the whaling scenes were extremely dangerous and some actors were hurt and nearly drowned.
Interesting post. J.O'.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Moby Dick was Herman Melville’s first novel.

I’d say he did pretty good, first time out.

Still in publication.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Tasky wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:48 pm
I've seen multiplex knives of this period from Wostenholm et al, and noted most of those tools... but never ones with rulers, countersinks or pens, the last one presumably a steel point dipping-pen nib rather than a fountain pen.

Are there any examples with such tools on them?
Nothing surprises me when it comes to English Cutlery. I personally have not seen a dipping pen or countersink on a folding knife. But as has already been mentioned the other tools and much more are readily found on old English knives.

Here's one I have with a folding rule, wire gauge and knife blades.
Attachments
Rule.jpg
AAPK Janitor
Tasky

Post by Tasky »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:13 am Moby Dick was Herman Melville’s first novel.
I’d say he did pretty good, first time out.
Still in publication.
Sixth, apparently...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Me ... bliography
Mason

Post by Mason »

Tasky wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:01 pm
Mason wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:33 pm So, you don't think Melville took any liberties with his writing? :)
In some ways, perhaps... But then, Melville did spend five years at sea, crewing merchant ships and whalers, as well as serving a stint aboard a US Navy frigate. I would like to think that technical details like tools or sailing techniques would have been faithfully represented for the most part. There would be plenty of maritime officers among his upper middle-class audience that might reject his written works as nonsense, if he didn't get that side of things correct. Worth noting that many of his works seem to be about sailors and being at sea.
Mason wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:33 pmIn the 1800s, the common man only had a common knife. The "fancy" models were owned by those who could afford them and were not the average mechanics of the day.
Very true... yet I am reminded of the accounts of a friend of mine, who apprenticed as a woodworker in the early 1950s. Back then it was still 'old school' where tools were well-made and made to last a lifetime or more, and were accordingly expensive. The first thing an apprentice did with his first salary payment was to go and buy a jack plane. The next payment was spent on a set of chisels, the one after that on a dovetail saw, then a tenon saw, then a smoothing plane, and so on. That's how a working craftsman got his own tools in those days, and the following months would comprise exercises in which he'd practice using whichever one he'd most recently acquired.
A single tool might have cost a whole month's salary, but it would (if properly looked after) last a man's whole career.

So, while such things might have been expensive to a common man, they were a necessary expense to a carpenter, especially one aboard a ship where space was often limited. Admitedly, Melville isn't describing an actual tool as such, rather using the description of one to characterise a person... but in order to accurately convey that person, the tool description would need to be pretty realistic in order to properly convey the idea.

But again, I could also be wrong and Melville simply concocted the same semi-fantastical idea of multiplex knives as we do in memes about Swiss Army Knives today! :lol:

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:26 pm

Dr. Howard Melnick, now deceased, had a large collection of such knives.
Is there an online archive of these, perhaps? ::pray::
Tasky, great topic and discussion.

With regards to the knives used around sailing ships during the 19th century, they were quite basic. Single blade folders with square blades were the norm for the average sailor throughout the most of the 1800s. The introduction of folding marlin spikes on some models occurred in the later half of that century. (pictures enclosed of those knives)

There were certainly carpenters on board the ships, but they would have had tool boxes with individual hand tools for any needs and would have had little use for a pocket knife with a few small folding tools. I could certainly see the captain carrying a multi-blade folder with impressive accessories, but not many others aboard a ship. Melville may have seen a fancy folder that belonged to the captain, but more likely he saw various models at a shop on shore somewhere.
Attachments
Navy Knife Pair Sheffield (1100x580).jpg
eveled

Post by eveled »

It could have just been an attempt at humor. Throwing in a few nonsensical ones. He stopped just short of saying it even had a kitchen sink!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I bought this knife because the seller said it had a vacuum cleaner but I can't find it!
Attachments
3FEEC5B8-BF9C-40D7-9477-5326924602D8.jpeg
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very nice knife Joe! ::tu:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Tasky

Post by Tasky »

FRJ wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:23 pm I bought this knife because the seller said it had a vacuum cleaner but I can't find it!
You perhaps misread the eBay description? Maybe the seller said, "I have a vacuum cleaner", implying the item was from a clean home! :lol:
A very pertinent point, though! ::tu::
Mason wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:01 pm Tasky, great topic and discussion.
Some great replies - I like exploring other perspectives, and challenging both them and my own as we talk our way to figuring things out.
Mason wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:01 pmWith regards to the knives used around sailing ships during the 19th century, they were quite basic. Single blade folders with square blades were the norm for the average sailor throughout the most of the 1800s. The introduction of folding marlin spikes on some models occurred in the later half of that century. (pictures enclosed of those knives)
I believe this is quite true.

However, I am reminded of something that cropped up a lot during Living History studies, and that was the nature of using historic materials for research - Often photographs were taken of, and passages written about, something precisely because it was unusual. A lot of mundane or everyday things do not get mentioned or remarked upon because everyone in the author's/photographer's time already knows about it. It lends a context to many exceptional things which people would otherwise assume was the norm - And being unaware of this factor is why so many re-enactors of 101st Airborne soldiers sport mohawk haircuts - It is indeed cool and did happen on a couple of occasions, but was not so common as to justify every single soldier in the group doing it.

And yet, in 1850 about 40% of men were illiterate, so Melville is writing for an audience in the upper 50-60% of society. The fact that he feels the need to explain in such detail what these Sheffield contrivances are suggests that the audience may not be so familiar with them... and he even states they appear as common pocketknives, which could just mean prevalent, or he could mean belonging to a commoner, ie the working class.
So the inferrence I get from this is that the tools themselves may be (in relative terms) mundane to those who use them, yet not so much for those readers who do not mix with the social circles beneath them. I like to think the use of the common knife simile to describe a man who is also a commoner is perhaps a fairly clever and deliberate literary manoeuvre, in this instance.

Lastly, I believe it is of some importance that Melville mentions the knives having implements mostly associated with hand work and tradesmen. There's no mention of 'toff' tools like scissors, combs, ear cleaners, or forks... but there is a pen and a ruler, suggesting the user has a little education - So perhaps lower-middle class? That would also be in keeping with skilled tradesmen.
This is a bit of a hefty read, but it gives a good contemporary account of the carpentry trades around the 1850s:
https://www.victorianlondon.org/mayhew/mayhew60.htm

Worth noting that much of what is described in that article was exactly the same as my aforementioned friend's experience as a professional woodworker in the 1950s and 60s, over 100 years later!
Mason wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:01 pmThere were certainly carpenters on board the ships, but they would have had tool boxes with individual hand tools for any needs and would have had little use for a pocket knife with a few small folding tools. I could certainly see the captain carrying a multi-blade folder with impressive accessories, but not many others aboard a ship. Melville may have seen a fancy folder that belonged to the captain, but more likely he saw various models at a shop on shore somewhere.
Again, this rings very true to my understanding... except that I have seen a few examples of knives (both fixed and folding being about equally common) that include implements which would only have been used by a woodworker. The most common is a race knife, having one or two hinged knife blades, plus a folding timber scribe... and looking otherwise very much like the two knives you just posted. These were only used by the likes of carpenters, coopers, surveyors and timber (lumberyard in the US) workers. No-one of higher society would have need for such things.
I don't know what the contemporary costs of these knives were, either the fancy folders or those of less fancy design, but I'd hazard a guess at the non-fancy ones requiring a middle-class wage.

So based on all that, I am still convinced that such knives likely existed in some form, but may not have been well-known outside of certain trade industries - Even today there are some right oddball tools that would only be correctly identified by people who work in those environments, so back in 'ye olde dayes' with far less standardisation and with toolmakers more open to bespoke designs than their modern counterparts, I'm fairly certain this would not have been the tool of a common man, but neither that of one who'd have one of the fancier knives either.
There was such a sub-trade within carpentry know as a 'fixer', which is basically the guy who takes whatever was made in the workshop by the 'benchman' and goes to fit it in the customer's property. Benchmen had their toolchests, but fixers had only what they could carry in a tool tote. Perhaps they would have use for such a Sheffield contrivance?

Again, these are all just my own ponderings based on a bit of reading and a bit of historical knowledge. I could easily just be talking utter tosh!!
I warmly invite all other insights and enthusiastic discussion!!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Tasky wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:57 pm
FRJ wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:23 pm I bought this knife because the seller said it had a vacuum cleaner but I can't find it!
You perhaps misread the eBay description? Maybe the seller said, "I have a vacuum cleaner", implying the item was from a clean home! :lol:
A very pertinent point, though! ::tu::
Thank you, Tasky, for that point of view. Maybe I should have read more into that sellers claim. :D

I enjoyed your text here and thank you for the link you gave here. I am a carpenter and I read a few interesting paragraphs and have bookmarked it to read more as I can. I do enjoy that history. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:39 pm Very nice knife Joe! ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you, Dimitri. ::tu::
Joe
Mason

Post by Mason »

These are the types of civil discussions that make all of us think a little harder and dig a little deeper. A great way to advance our hobby!!!

Still hung up on the possibility of a writing pen as an accessory on a pocket knife from the 1800s...
While I have never seen a 19th century ink pen on a folding knife (many examples for the 20th century), there are numerous examples of folders with mechanical pencils housed in the handles. In doing some English patent research, two early examples of ink pens combined with knives surfaced, one from 1865, and one from 1886. Enclosed is a brief patent description from 1886 showing a simple folder with the option of a folding pencil or pen. That pen, and the other from the 1865 patent would certainly have been ink well type variations since the ball point pen didn't arrive until 1888.

So yes, it is certainly possible that Melville saw a folding pen on what must have been a superb Sheffield folder.
Attachments
Patent Pen Pencil 1886 (800x560).jpg
Tasky

Post by Tasky »

FRJ wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:43 pm I enjoyed your text here and thank you for the link you gave here. I am a carpenter and I read a few interesting paragraphs and have bookmarked it to read more as I can. I do enjoy that history. ::tu:: ::tu::
You may also like to check out Paul Sellers. He has a YouTube channel but also a blog on his website, where he sometimes shares his experiences as an apprenticed woodworker in the 1960s. There had been some changes by then, but much of the old school remained. He also likes to impart the tips and tricks he learned from being a working professional cabinet-maker and teacher (in the US and UK) for over 50 years, as well as sharing some projects for newbies. The pieces he made for The White House are stunning!
Mason wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:20 pm Still hung up on the possibility of a writing pen as an accessory on a pocket knife from the 1800s...
Yeah, I'm starting to question the idea myself, having not found anything of note... although searching for "pen" and "knife" is enough to test even the most patient of Google-Fu practitioners, I think!!

I am now wondering if the device Melville references was more like a scribe or stylus - I'm picturing something similar to a pick or an awl, but which would have been used for marking out or transferring patterns to the workpiece, and likely held the same way as a pen.
It could be worth noting that either of these, or indeed a thin dip-pen, could easily have been made to slide into a handle rather than being fixed by a pivot. The Plus scales on Swiss Army knives do just this, albeit with a very thin example.
Afer all, the original quote says these knives merely 'contained' the implements listed... it doesn't say they all folded in. ::shrug::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Tasky wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:40 pm You may also like to check out Paul Sellers.
Thank you, Tasky, I have seen many of Paul Sellers videos.
Joe
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I assume my information, wherever it was obtained, re’ Melville’s Moby Dick, is in error.

Mea culpa.

No idea where I “learned” that factoid, but my assumption would be English Literature 101, my freshman year if college, Fall, 1965.

Apparently, I stand corrected.

Moby Dick was not his first novel.

I must do a bit if research to see if I’ve muddled my facts and pulled something out of the wrong cerebral convolution and assumed I knew something about that of which I spoke.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

This one from Smith's key 1816 shows a folding mechanical pencil or maybe a pen, cut #257.
Attachments
Smiths Key Pocket Knives 8.jpg
Smiths Key Pocket Knives 8.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 715 times
AAPK Janitor
Mason

Post by Mason »

Miller Bro's wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:17 am This one from Smith's key 1816 shows a folding mechanical pencil or maybe a pen, cut #257.
That's actually a cylindrical punch for boring holes through such things as leather.
Enclosed is a picture of an actual example from the same time period as "Smith's Key" while in the mostly open position.
Attachments
Sheffield Horseman Punch Open 2 (2) (800x520).jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very interesting thread. I do not have any knowledge about the subject, but I liked seeing the comments and photos. When I read the Melville quote, I had the impression that he was making a generalization about a kind of knife, not necessarily describing a specific knife.
Mel

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”