Metals to patch bone

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Hongkonger

Metals to patch bone

Post by Hongkonger »

Hi all,
I have repaired these three with metal replacement pieces - cupronickel on the barehead (I can't make out a tang stamp), nickel silver on the Cattaraugus sleeveboard and brass on the unbranded serpentine. As a newbie amateur part-timer, I'm interested in any thoughts about this style of repair. I can see advantages and disadvantages myself, and would greatly appreciate an objective pair of eyes.
Thanks
Jonny
Attachments
Metal patches.jpg
BIGHEAD

Re: Metals to patch bone

Post by BIGHEAD »

Not a thing wrong with it if it is a user.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

I really like the way they look done that way, just has a old school repair vibe to it. Great work!
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

That *is* a cool look. I imagine it was a fair amount of work to craft the piece to fit properly! They look almost...bionic.
Brent
Hongkonger

Post by Hongkonger »

Thank you - yes there is some time in shaping the metal parts, but it's enjoyable work. That has emboldened me to do a few more.
Thank you.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Hongkonger wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:39 pm Thank you - yes there is some time in shaping the metal parts, but it's enjoyable work. That has emboldened me to do a few more.
Thank you.
I was curious what you method is. Do you make a clay impression to work off of for the shaping of the metal patch?
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Personally I really like it, especially the way that you matched the jigging on that Barehead.
I have seen several old repairs using lead, solder, or epoxy putty, but those never look right. Your work looks much, much better.
Some guys here on AAPK use Acraglass, and managed to match the color very closely to the original bone. Other people will shape and patch in another piece of bone.
I think that all of these are good repairs, as no one is trying to fool a future buyer, but instead are making a knife useable again, while at the same time keeping the maximum amount of the authentic original knife intact.
Your method is both unique and beautiful.
Whenever you feel like the time is right to share, show some step-by-step pictures of how you do this.
I am intrigued by your work!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Hongkonger

Post by Hongkonger »

Thank you for the very kind words. Here in Hong Kong we have a lot of time on our hands, so my method was nothing special - just lots of carefulling.
I put a coin (shhh) or piece of stock in an antique hand vise, which I held on my table in a milling vise. I rough shaped the patch using a reference card I made for each patch then careful needle-filing until the fit was good enough. I fixed the patches with epoxy and filed a 45 degree 'divot' where there was a danger of a piece of thinned metal bending outwards and causing a hazard. Then hand filing and careful polishing so as not to cook the epoxy. I'll post more pictures as I complete other knives.
Thank you for the kind words.
Hongkonger

Post by Hongkonger »

I was curious what you method is. Do you make a clay impression to work off of for the shaping of the metal patch?
That's a brilliant idea. I'll do that next time.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The easiest method involves modeling clay, masking tape, polyester casting resin, and finely ground instant coffee.
Properly done, the repair will be invisible.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
TPK

Post by TPK »

:shock: Wow! Those are Suuuuuper Cool repairs! 8) I can't really find the words but it gives them something special IMO. ::nod:: Outstanding! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:57 pm The easiest method involves modeling clay, masking tape, polyester casting resin, and finely ground instant coffee.
I agree, the resin or AcraGlas method looks much better than metal patches.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:46 am I agree, the resin or AcraGlas method looks much better than metal patches.
To each their own, I agree the resin looks great when matched right, and can hide the repair(I don’t mean that as a negative like trying to trick someone), but that brass patch and mahogany colored bone just looks awesome to me. It just showcases craftsmanship and ingenuity and contrast the material colors perfectly.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:46 am
Bill DeShivs wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:57 pm The easiest method involves modeling clay, masking tape, polyester casting resin, and finely ground instant coffee.
I agree, the resin or AcraGlas method looks much better than metal patches.
::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Hongkonger

Post by Hongkonger »

Thank you for the comments, in both directions. I'll try the instant coffee method for sure, and keep this method for knives I think suit it.
Here is a Lenox grandaddy barlow-ish knife I just finished.
Attachments
16602985814435187448225038666553.jpg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Nice work!
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier