Schrade 895 to 897uh

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Nev52

Schrade 895 to 897uh

Post by Nev52 »

I picked up this Schrade 895 with broken blades. I had a 897uh blade and some other blades. So I replace the handles with green bone and replace all the blades. I like the look but I cracked the handle ::dang:: ::facepalm:: I am going to carry it as a eveyday knife. Just thought I would share.

Nev
897uh crack.jpg
897uh closed.jpg
897uh.jpg
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade 895 to 897uh

Post by Jeffinn »

That’s some beautiful bone! Cracks in bone handles happen from time to time. It’ll still make a great EDC.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good work Nev!

I see you are beginning to learn about the "wedge cracking" that appears when you over peen a pin.
It seems this happens mostly when you use bone. It's all a learning process. Keep up the good work.

That looks like a really nice EDC knife!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Love the color on that bone, nice work! Don't worry about the crack, it happens. I just cracked some crosscut mammoth on a build for a customer!!!!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

glennbad wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:50 pm Love the color on that bone, nice work! Don't worry about the crack, it happens. I just cracked some crosscut mammoth on a build for a customer!!!!
Ouch!
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks Jeff and Mike. ::handshake:: I thought I had finally got the hang of pinning bone. ::dang:: Maybe not ::disgust:: Like they say better luck next time.

Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

glennbad wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:50 pm Love the color on that bone, nice work! Don't worry about the crack, it happens. I just cracked some crosscut mammoth on a build for a customer!!!!
Thanks Glen ::handshake:: I really like the green bone also. But like Olde Cutler OUCH on the mammoth crack!! I know that has to be very frustrating.

Nev
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maybe it's just my old eyes Nev but I don't see any cracks anywhere? ::shrug:: The knife looks perfect to me and the unusual bone color adds to it nicely. You do fine work, cracks ::shrug:: n' all! 8)
8)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

When I was a kid I hated the color green for some reason. Though the memory of it does not deter me from saying, "nice color choice"!
Like you, I may swap around incorrect blades on an EDC knife. I mean, it is made to cut things, not collect dust!
I still crack handles occasionally, too. It happens.
Good job on it.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:23 am Maybe it's just my old eyes Nev but I don't see any cracks anywhere? ::shrug:: The knife looks perfect to me and the unusual bone color adds to it nicely. You do fine work, cracks ::shrug:: n' all! 8)
Thanks Marco ::handshake:: I really like the color too. At 1st I did not but after I buffed it out bingo ::ds::
Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Reverand wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:48 am When I was a kid I hated the color green for some reason. Though the memory of it does not deter me from saying, "nice color choice"!
Like you, I may swap around incorrect blades on an EDC knife. I mean, it is made to cut things, not collect dust!
I still crack handles occasionally, too. It happens.
Good job on it.
Thanks Rev ::handshake::
If the blade brings the knife back to life use it. I think the same way.

Nev

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”