Rounding pin ends

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Eelephant

Rounding pin ends

Post by Eelephant »

Ok, so, when installing pre-jigged scales, and ya can’t sand the pins flush, etc..., what kind of tool rounds the heads of the pins? So that if they gotta stick up a bit, at least they are smooth and rounded. I think I’ve heard of this tool before, but can’t remember.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Rounding pin ends

Post by C-WADE7 »

Jantz sells a pin head spinner, everyone seems to have varying success. Others have a jig(basically a blind hole in hard wood or metal) the put in stock in and peen the head before installing.
Eelephant

Post by Eelephant »

C-WADE7 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:07 pm Jantz sells a pin head spinner, everyone seems to have varying success. Others have a jig(basically a blind hole in hard wood or metal) the put in stock in and peen the head before installing.
Thank you.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Traditionally, raised pin heads are spun or rounded with a buffer.
Spun heads are readily visible, as there is usually a flat spot around the heads, and is only appropriate if the knife originally had spun pins (in a restoration.

Pin heads can be rounded with cupped punches. These are easy to make out of drill rod. You will need several sizes. Cupped punches can also be used for pin spinning.

Buffing pin heads is done by buffing from all different angles until the head is rounded.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

I peen the pins as normal on a smooth scale then use a rubber grit wheel on a dremel at take it down as close to jigging as I can then let the buffer smooth it out. Same with stag. Dont know if this is the correct way it should be done but I am self taught mostly (had phone a friend help :lol: )
And it works for me. I have a head spinner but have yet to use it with success.
1AFCD4E1-259F-47F0-A02F-17C2C5AD6963.jpeg
21D60A54-B6F4-4ED4-B1E9-A6175CFEB1F7.jpeg
These pins were done the way I described.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I was gifted a set of pin spinners by Jeffin, but neither of us ever got them to work satisfactorily.
I now peen the pins gently into a dome shape with my hammer. I use a small hammer, and small strokes from different angles.
Sometimes I get them just right, sometimes I polish them down a bit with a Dremel.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Reverand wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:20 am I was gifted a set of pin spinners by Jeffin, but neither of us ever got them to work satisfactorily.
I now peen the pins gently into a dome shape with my hammer. I use a small hammer, and small strokes from different angles.
Sometimes I get them just right, sometimes I polish them down a bit with a Dremel.
Same here....

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

This is a silly question, I’m sure, but if you pre form the pin heads, then you peen them on the back side of the liner? Correct?
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:23 pm This is a silly question, I’m sure, but if you pre form the pin heads, then you peen them on the back side of the liner? Correct?
Yes, that’s correct.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pre-forming pin heads is only necessary in extreme situations.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery