First project

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Raccoon

First project

Post by Raccoon »

This all started because I don’t like seeing knives discarded. I’d rescue them from the trash and hopefully one day see what I can do with them. I didn’t take any ‘before’ pictures as I wasn’t planning on sharing. These were in rough shape. In my desire to clean up these knives I got in over my head and here I am, new adhesive bandage on my thumb, trying to learn.

Thank you all for this wonderful site especially this subsection.

I have attached some photos of what is my first project. I ordered a back spring from eBay and will see how it fits on these then order more or find something else. I am partial to Remington’s so I’m not sure I want to take the silver colored one apart until I have some more practice. Wish me luck if you’d like as I’ll probably need it. What have I got myself into?
Attachments
4DC1FF62-8105-4595-91CC-E3E74EFA6C01.jpeg
F7A79FF8-8CDD-47D5-9C59-70D5D3B23833.jpeg
93DBD8A3-F4F9-471B-96C3-1BE6BE35CF8D.jpeg
390FF7D1-59F4-4ED6-8114-711E674F19FC.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: First project

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK, Raccoon! To answer your question, you've gotten yourself into a totally fun hobby that will bring you much pleasure and satisfaction as time passes. I have my doubts that you'll need it, but it's free so "Good Luck"! 8)
8)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Yep, a lot of fun!
Finding backsprings that match can be quite a challenge, unless you can find an identical knife that is missing blades or something like that. I try to buy up old knives at flea markets and things like that, and I tend to keep them together until I need a part off it.
Still, it is very fun and rewarding. I hope that you fall in love with knife repair!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Making backsprings is not hard to do.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Raccoon

Post by Raccoon »

Thanks for the welcomes and votes of confidence.

I’ve perused the other projects shown and websites linked in signatures and am very impressed with the work I’ve seen.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”