Removing 1-sided thumb-studs!

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Removing 1-sided thumb-studs!

Post by Madmarco »

Hey guys! Would anyone know how to remove a thumb-stud that doesn't have a slot for a screwdriver on the screw side? When I grip it with pliers and turn, the stud just turns around but doesn't unscrew from the screw. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thx! 8)
8)
dsutton24

Re: Removing 1-sided thumb-studs!

Post by dsutton24 »

I'd bet that what you think is a screw is really a rivet. Without seeing it, or knowing what knife you're talking about, removal instructions are just a guess. My first thought is to cut the stud off then either file the remaining rivet flush, or carefully drive the remains out with a punch.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks ds24. Now that you mention that I think you're correct. It never crossed my mind it might be a rivet. I realize it's likely impossible to make it out from my lousy pictures, but I attached them anyway. The piece in question looks like a rivet with small dimples all over it. The knife is a big Rigid RG15 shield-release folder. Thx again! 8)
WIN_20230129_22_30_40_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230129_22_34_24_Pro.jpg
8)
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

Are we talking about the blade?
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Marco,
I don't know if this is the correct way to remove it but this is what I would try. Center punch the rivet.Then take a small drill bit and drill through the rivet. Then I would support the blade and punch out the rivet. Thats my 2 cents. I hope that helps. ::handshake::

Nev
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:40 am Marco,
I don't know if this is the correct way to remove it but this is what I would try. Center punch the rivet.Then take a small drill bit and drill through the rivet. Then I would support the blade and punch out the rivet. Thats my 2 cents. I hope that helps. ::handshake::

Nev
The method you described is the way I've removed an unwanted thumbstud.
It worked for me. ::tu::
Tim
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Beavertail wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:36 pm
Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:40 am Marco,

Nev
The method you described is the way I've removed an unwanted thumbstud.
It worked for me. ::tu::
Glad to hear that. I would use that method in equipment repair. ::tu::
Nev
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Mark, if you have a very small ball-head burr that you can put in your rotary tool (dremel), I would just grind off the head on one side and it should come out easily. Or, Nev's suggestion about drilling the center out should work too.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

All great suggestions fellas, thank you. ::handshake:: I'll try each method until I find the one that works and post the results in this thread. Thx again guys! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

charlesf20 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:43 am Are we talking about the blade?
No, we 're talking about removing the thumb-stud that doesn't have a screw it has a fixed rivet, Charles. I got some great tips below. I always remove studs when I get a new knife, but they're usually the kind with a screw on the backside and come off easily, but this knife has a fixed rivet. I particularly want this one off cuz it will make the knife's profile much cleaner, and besides, it has a big nail-nic to open the blade with. Even if I left it on, the blade is far too big for one-handed opening with the stud. 8)
8)

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”