Schrade blade swap question

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Byrd

Schrade blade swap question

Post by Byrd »

Does anyone know if a 60t blade will fit it an LB7 frame?
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade blade swap question

Post by orvet »

I seriously doubt it. Let me go check some of my blades and my parts and see.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Thanks Dale! While you're checking if you have a spare LB7 blade you'd sell let me know ::pray::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I believe the answer to your question is PROBABLY. Schrade made a number of changes in knives for the years. They usually made these changes on the fly, introducing new parts and using them when they ran of the old parts, if there was no problem with the new parts fitting.

If I had time to dig through all of my blades and lay them out I know there are some differences with some of the special edition blades, the the Heritage blades, the scrimshaw blades, etc. Here is a 6OT blade between two 7OT blades. Notice that the 7OT blade blade on the top is carbon steel on the bottom is Schrade + stainless steel. The carbon steel blade is a smaller diameter pivot hole. Your 6OT blade probably has the larger hole. You will need a bushing to use the 1/8" pivot pin. I also found in SC507 blade that had the smaller diameter pivot hole.
6OT & 7OT blades compared.jpg
Some of the other differences I have noticed on blades within the 5 inch lockback pattern which include the 7OT, 6OT, LB8, LB7, the scrimshaw series, the Heritage series, and many of the other SFO knives that were made throughout the years.
The difference I noticed were in the pivot hole size, and I think perhaps on one knife that was different placement of the pivot hole, also the difference in the size of the locking lug notch, that notch in the blade above the pivot hole where the lock bar engages to lock the blade firmly into position, I have also noticed a difference in the placement of the rocker pin hole in the lock bar.

If you are using a parts knife as a donor for the knife you want to repair I would suggest you check the following before tearing either knife part:
1 – Check the placement of the of the pin in the lock bar. LB7, 7OT, etc., do not have a back spring like a slipjoint. What you are looking at when you're looking for the spring would be on a slipjoint, is the lock bar. The spring is beneath the lock bar and pushes up on the end of the lock bar to engage the locking lug at the front end of the lock bar into the notch in the tang of the blade.

2 – Check the size of the locking lug on both knives and be sure they are the same size. I have tried unsuccessfully filing down the locking lug it was too large. I was also unsuccessful in trying to make the lug notch larger in the tang of the blade.

I hope this is helpful.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Very helpful Dale! Thank you for the effort you put into helping me. The blade I have is a 60 T and from the measurements I've taken the pivot pin and the notch in the locking lug are the same.

I love your answer PROBABLY! I'm replacing a worn, ground down blade in an LB7 and have available a 60t blade that is new. Laying it on the bolster of the LB7 it appears that it'll work. We'll see!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

If for some reason you have a problem, like you need a bushing, send me a PM and I'll tell you how to make one. It's pretty simple it's just time-consuming.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Thank you sir!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I do believe I have a few bushings if you need them :D

Eric
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Thank you Eric, I'll let you know if I do.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Eric, I got my LB7 blade in today and I do need a bushing. The diameter needs to fit in a .185 hole in the blade and accept a .125 (1/8) pin. If you have one PM9 me the info as to cost and shipping. I appreciate it!
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Thanks to Eric and the bushings he sent me I was able to swap blades in this LB7! It wasn't a straight up in and out. It took quite a bit of fitting in the locking mechanism. I need to finish polishing the brass and work on my peening skills, but it's better than it was.
Attachments
20190830_142254_HDR.jpg

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”