Bench Vise?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
cody6268

Bench Vise?

Post by cody6268 »

I'm wondering what size vise I should use for knife repair? The vise I've had since a teen is in really bad condition, and was really cheap to start with (made in Korea, and was in open-front shed originally, exposed to the weather for decades), and is missing parts as well. The one in the basement appears to have a damaged base (cracked track) and the one in the farm shop, well, overkill.

Secondly, what's a good USA-made brand that doesn't cost a whole heck of a lot used?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bench Vise?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:34 am I'm wondering what size vise I should use for knife repair? The vise I've had since a teen is in really bad condition, and was really cheap to start with (made in Korea, and was in open-front shed originally, exposed to the weather for decades), and is missing parts as well. The one in the basement appears to have a damaged base (cracked track) and the one in the farm shop, well, overkill.

Secondly, what's a good USA-made brand that doesn't cost a whole heck of a lot used?
Wilton was one of the best known old USA brands, or maybe a Stanley. But few and far between now.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here is one I just got.

Fasmov Swivel 3" Universal Table Vise Tilts Rotate 360° Universal Work Amazon $18.99
About this item
The Table Vise will not deform even under high pressure, the vise is made of cast aluminum, the jaws are made of hardened high-carbon steel alloy, and the movable parts are made of precision milled heat-treated chromium plate carbon steel.
Jaws are 3" x 3/4" / 79mm x 17mm with a 2" / 51mm opening, the clip has a wide enough opening for any workbench or table.
Adjustable and rotates to any possible angle, rubber Jaws for no scratch and firm clamping, enabling you to lock the workpiece in any position.
Rubber on the jaws can be removed to reveal a cross pattern for use on wire/rods, The overall design of pliers has laid a good foundation for the smooth completion of your work.
Lightweight, small vise, easy operation, Ideal for holding small parts in Jewelry, Hobby, Model making, Electronics and more.
Attachments
20210326_171818.jpg
20210326_171847.jpg
20210326_171902.jpg
20210326_172008.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Look at the "Versa Vise", it also swivels and can be rotated up or down on the vertical axis. Wood River Universal Vise is a clone and cheaper. They have steel jaws but you can use brass or aluminum angle iron cut to size as liners. You can easily make plastic liners too. The Versa Vise is much more expensive than the Fasmov, but many times stronger.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

What ever you decide, a swivel vise is a good option. I have one and they are just so more versatile. You won't need a large one for knife work/repairs, but like everything, pay more for a good one. My dad used to say, buy the best tools you can afford, look after them, and they will last a lifetime. ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I use 2 types of vises. I have a standard Craftsman (I think) bench mounted vice for rough stuff. For fine work like filing bolsters and such, I use a Panavise similar to that shown above. I have that clamped to a section of 2 x 4, and when I need it, I clamp the 2 x 4 in the bench vise.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

The Versa Vice does not disappoint.

One for metal work; One for woodwork. Life is good.
Attachments
DSCN8994.JPG
DSCN8995.JPG
DSCN8999.JPG
DSCN9001.JPG
DSCN9004.JPG
Joe
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Nice Joe!! I didn't know they made a woodworker's model. I have the red metal worker's vise like you show, have had it for over forty years, great tool. I mount a jewelers bracelet mandrel in it sometimes and bang hard on the mandrel, never had a problem with it.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Actually the metal workers vice is a "Gyro-Vice".
Same thing only different.
Joe
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Joe, I see yours says Gyro Vise, the sticker is gone from mine but it did say Versa Vise. If you google Versa Vise they do show red metal workers vises that do say Versa Vise. Maybe at one time they used Gyro, I don't know. Regardless of the name on them they are fantastic workshop items, and the originals are USA made.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I may have found one that will do. I didn't know existed, and was here all along. In a back room in the basement (originally a coal storage area; from the '50s when the house was built through the 1970s when my folks installed the current oil furnace). I was looking for something else, and saw it in a bucket full of rusty chain.

While not a Gyro-Vise it is made by exactly the same company. Columbian Vise Mfg. Co. of Cleveland, OH. Appears to be a lower-end handyman model; as the finish is a little crude. It is a model 03 1/2, which opens up to 3 1/2". Rusty and dirty, but I think it'll clean up quite well.

So, will this do?
KIMG4210.JPG
KIMG4209.JPG
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:24 am I may have found one that will do. I didn't know existed, and was here all along. In a back room in the basement (originally a coal storage area; from the '50s when the house was built through the 1970s when my folks installed the current oil furnace). I was looking for something else, and saw it in a bucket full of rusty chain.

While not a Gyro-Vise it is made by exactly the same company. Columbian Vise Mfg. Co. of Cleveland, OH. Appears to be a lower-end handyman model; as the finish is a little crude. It is a model 03 1/2, which opens up to 3 1/2". Rusty and dirty, but I think it'll clean up quite well.

So, will this do?

KIMG4210.JPG

KIMG4209.JPG
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: . And the right price. :roll: :) As my dad would have said, " Make do with what you have. The old timers made do, and did not spend money they did not have to. You already had this, make do with it, all those old tools and pieces of equipment were made to be used. ::nod::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

You may be surprised how much you will use a vice that size! That is as good as having a stiddy.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Need some advice with tapping and drilling. One of the pads is completely missing--one screw busted off, stuck inside the jaw. The the other one has an oblong-shaped hole where the screw was, and I'm not sure if a screw can go back in there, even if re-tapped. The other still has the pads, but if I'm replacing one, I might as well replace the other. And the head is worn/rusted away on both screws.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

It's so unfortunate you are dealing with those poor conditions.
I wonder, if you could wait a little longer and continue looking, if something better could come your way.
Sometimes that's the secret to better tools ........ and fishing holes ........... and girlfriends .........
Joe
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

You would be surprised how many broken screws that I have gotten out with an icepick and a small hammer Catch a broken edge with the icepick, and tap the back of it lightly With the hammer until it starts turning.

It that does not work, drill out the broken screw and the oblong hole to a larger size, tap, and use larger bolts.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”