Giving knife repair a try.

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Nev52

Re: Giving knife repair a try.

Post by Nev52 »

Pins in knife. Starting to look like something.
pins in parts knife.jpg
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I will post when finished still have to file pins and sand. I am starting to like the look. What I like most is using up parts I had no use for and making something out of it. ::tu::

Regards
Nev
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Nev52 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:47 pm Thanks David and Marco,

David that was with 400 paper. After I get it together I will go up to 1500 grit. I don't know about the light micarta it seems to collect dirt from my hands as I work and I can't sand it out. But still learning.

Regards
Nev
The light colored Micartas like white and Ivory will pick up dark stains from polishing and other ways. I too sand down to 1500 with wet or dry and some of this tends to stay in the lighter color Micarta material. I have found that Brasso takes this right off. Just get a little on a rag and rub it off. My Brasso is very old and when it gets thick, I add a little water to it and shake it up good.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:17 pm

David that was with 400 paper. After I get it together I will go up to 1500 grit. I don't know about the light micarta it seems to collect dirt from my hands as I work and I can't sand it out. But still learning.

Regards
Nev
The light colored Micartas like white and Ivory will pick up dark stains from polishing and other ways. I too sand down to 1500 with wet or dry and some of this tends to stay in the lighter color Micarta material. I have found that Brasso takes this right off. Just get a little on a rag and rub it off. My Brasso is very old and when it gets thick, I add a little water to it and shake it up good.
Olde Cutler,
You are saying Brasso the metal polish is that correct? Thanks for that information. ::handshake:: The micartas are driving me crazy trying to have them look the same as when I purchased them. One more question do you use a buffer on the micarta? and if you do what color polish do you use?
Thank you for your help on this.
Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

completed parts trapper.jpg
Completed single blade wharncliff trapper. :D
I am surprised how nice it turned out. :shock: From just parts.

Nev
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

::ds:: ::handshake:: ::groove:: ::clapping::
Your getting better and better, very good job Nev.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you David. ::handshake::

Nev
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:02 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:17 pm

Regards
Nev
Olde Cutler,
You are saying Brasso the metal polish is that correct? Thanks for that information. ::handshake:: The micartas are driving me crazy trying to have them look the same as when I purchased them. One more question do you use a buffer on the micarta? and if you do what color polish do you use?
Thank you for your help on this.
Nev
Yes, the Brasso metal polish. I used it on the micarta on the black and white unit I recently did, worked great on the ivory paper micarta. I don't usually buff micarta on a powered buffer, just sand to 1500 and use Flitz polish by hand. Just the way I do it, you certainly could use a buffer. Beside the very fine polishing grit in the Brasso, the cleaner part in it that you smell seems to do most of the work. Could be ammonia?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You're becoming quite the knifemaker Nev! ::tu:: I absolutely love this last trapper especially with the new blade you built, ::groove:: it's exactly the kind of manual knife I would look for and buy! ::nod:: Keep up your teriffic work! 8)
8)
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Olde Cutler,
Thanks for the information. ::handshake::

Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you Marco,
That is quite the complement. ::handshake:: :oops: I am still learning. It is challenging but I enjoy it.

Regards
Nev
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I like the way you innovate, and are willing to try something different. People on here have inspired you, and at the same time you are inspiring others.
You are building an impressive set of skills!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:09 pm completed parts trapper.jpgCompleted single blade wharncliff trapper. :D

Nev
Well done. ::tu:: Your improvement has been dramatic in a short period of time. You may have found a craft that you are a natural at. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks Reverand,
You are correct!! I have been inspired buy individuals on this sight and the work they do. I have seen your work and numerous others on AAPK who have amazed me with the work they do. I also would like to say I would not have been able to get started on this hobby without the help ,advice and encouragement from AAPK members.
Thank you all. ::handshake::

Regards
Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you Cudgee,
I still have a long way to go. I still am intimidated to try this on a more expensive knife. Still small steps.
Regards
Nev
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:09 pm completed parts trapper.jpgCompleted single blade wharncliff trapper. :D

Nev
Looks great! You’re getting better with each knife.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks Jeff, ::handshake::
Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

One more kit knife. This is a small lock back. I used G10 on the scales. I like the look. Only thing I don't like is I hit the scale with the file when I was filing down the bolster pins. ::dang:: I still have to sand out the blade buff out the bolsters and sharpen. Maybe tomorrow if not to cold in the barn. Thanks for looking.

Nev
rough rider small lock back.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nev52 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:43 pm One more kit knife. This is a small lock back. I used G10 on the scales. I like the look. Only thing I don't like is I hit the scale with the file when I was filing down the bolster pins. ::dang:: I still have to sand out the blade buff out the bolsters and sharpen. Maybe tomorrow if not to cold in the barn. Thanks for looking.

Nevrough rider small lock back.jpg
I love that knife Nev! ::tu:: I love the lime-green you chose for the covers too! ::nod:: I love the needle-point blade three! LOL! Do you mind me asking what is the name of the kit, and where can it be purchased? Thx! 8) P.S.-That cover scratch is barely noticeable, I'd bet it will buff right out! 8)
8)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Great job Nev! I have that same kit and I think you did a better job
on the bolsters than I did... ::tu::
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks' Marco,
I purchased the kit from( Knife Country USA) I usually buy from Smoky Mountain knife works but they are out of stock.
Rough Rider C56 custom shop kit. Only thing there shipping is high compared to SMKW. :shock:

Regards
Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

David your are to modest. I have looked at your builds and I think they are great!! ::tu::
What I like about AAPK we all learn together and give suggestions on different issues that arise during the repair.

Thanks' again.
Nev
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nev52 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:58 am Thanks' Marco,
I purchased the kit from( Knife Country USA) I usually buy from Smoky Mountain knife works but they are out of stock.
Rough Rider C56 custom shop kit. Only thing there shipping is high compared to SMKW. :shock:

Regards
Nev
Thanks Nev! ::handshake:: I'll check it out! 8)
8)
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

This will be the last one I will bore you all with. I am going to give it a break for a while until I buy some junk knives.
Rough Ryder small lock back kit. I added the maple scales. I feel like each one is getting a little better. Still have a long way to go.

Nev

rr last kit.jpg
rr last one.jpg
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Very good job Nev. I found for some reason that those scales that had angles like that
were hard for me to get a good fit. Looks good though.... ::tu::

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”