Shops, tools, materials and tips

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Alien883

Re: Shops, tools, materials and tips

Post by Alien883 »

:D :|
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:45 pm Wow, that is what I call "palatial". lol
:D :D ::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I managed to score these elk antler pieces at a garage sale last Friday. Should be able to cut several sets of slabs from these. Paid $3 each, so that works out to___________(not that much) each.
IMG_5198-2.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:59 pm I managed to score these elk antler pieces at a garage sale last Friday. Should be able to cut several sets of slabs from these. Paid $3 each, so that works out to___________(not that much) each.

IMG_5198-2.JPG
Those should make some nice handles, especially the middle one.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Here are a couple of simple fixes for my knives missing shields or broken shields. Some epoxy and paint to fill in the gaps... ::hmm:: The most important component is paint from the greatest artist in Amercian history: the great Bob Ross... ::not_worthy:: ::not_worthy::

On the stockman I found a cooper washer that just about fit so I did a little file work and a little shaping and whoola! ::woot:: Good enough for an old EDC.
Attachments
DSCF2732.JPG
DSCF2733.JPG
DSCF2734.JPG
DSCF2735.JPG
DSCF2736.JPG
DSCF2737.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice fix GSP! ::tu::

I collect old broken pocket stones and use a truing stone that is used for flattening a grinder wheel and with that I shape a piece of an old pocket Whetstone and use it for a replacement of the stone that was originally in fish knife. It's a bit of work but it looks original if done properly.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:14 pm Here are a couple of simple fixes for my knives missing shields or broken shields. Some epoxy and paint to fill in the gaps... ::hmm:: The most important component is paint from the greatest artist in Amercian history: the great Bob Ross... ::not_worthy:: ::not_worthy::

On the stockman I found a cooper washer that just about fit so I did a little file work and a little shaping and whoola! ::woot:: Good enough for an old EDC.
I like the way that looks!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Reverand wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:18 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:14 pm Here are a couple of simple fixes for my knives missing shields or broken shields. Some epoxy and paint to fill in the gaps... ::hmm:: The most important component is paint from the greatest artist in Amercian history: the great Bob Ross... ::not_worthy:: ::not_worthy::

I like the way that looks!
Thanks Dale and Reverand ::handshake:: I have a few more to work on, ::paranoid:: it always seems that there is no end to my new and old knives that some fixing up.... ::facepalm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I am having to replace my old Rockwell 15" drill press that I bought new in 1977. Looking at a benchtop model such as Wen, Grizzly, Porter Cable, and others. Any recommendations from any of you knife mechanics who may own any of these brands?
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:19 pm I am having to replace my old Rockwell 15" drill press that I bought new in 1977. Looking at a benchtop model such as Wen, Grizzly, Porter Cable, and others. Any recommendations from any of you knife mechanics who may own any of these brands?
I own the Wen table top drill press. It’s been a good addition to my workshop and I haven’t had any issues with it. It’s a multi speed unit using the usual multi step pulleys to change the speed.
IMG_0234.jpeg
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Jeffinn wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:29 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:19 pm I am having to replace my old Rockwell 15" drill press that I bought new in 1977. Looking at a benchtop model such as Wen, Grizzly, Porter Cable, and others. Any recommendations from any of you knife mechanics who may own any of these brands?
I own the Wen table top drill press. It’s been a good addition to my workshop and I haven’t had any issues with it. It’s a multi speed unit using the usual multi step pulleys to change the speed.
IMG_0234.jpeg
Thanks Jeff. Wen makes several different models and rates them by Amp draw instead of HP. What is the Amp draw on yours?
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Here’s the manufacturer tag from mine:
IMG_5998.jpeg
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Jeffinn wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:47 pm Here’s the manufacturer tag from mine:
IMG_5998.jpeg
Jeff
thanks Jeff.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have an old Craftsman benchtop drill press I bought almost 20 years ago and it is still going strong. If I needed to replace it I would probably look at Grizzly because of price point and the quality. I have two Grizzly belt Sanders, a 1x42 and a 2x72. The 2x72 is probably about 17 years old, and still going strong.
I haven't had a great deal of experience with Wen, with the exception of slow water bath sharpener. It's been good though I haven't used it a great deal.
It seems that there are several companies who sell essentially the same product with different color schemes and brand names. The Grizzly 1x42 belt sander is almost a dead ringer for my old Delta sander. Some of the parts appear to even be interchangeable. So I think most of the basic equipment you'll look at will be pretty equal in performance unless you decide to go really low end or really high-end.

I can speak from experience with a Harbor Freight benchtop drill press. I bought a used one at a moving sale for $25. I think at that time they were about $100 new. It was worth the $25 I paid, but not the $100 if I had bought it new. I gave it to my brother as I didn't need a third drill press.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I have a Craftsman 3 speed bench top as well. It is probably at least 30 years old at this point and other than a new belt or two over the years not a single issue. If it were to die I wouldn't be against the idea of looking for a used Craftsman of the same type. I also have a big Ridgid floor model but 95% of what I do gets done on the little Craftsman.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I got tired of not having a shield on this knife so I cut off a .22 shell end/head and made it into a shield.
Attachments
DSCF3682.JPG
DSCF3683.JPG
DSCF3675.JPG

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:16 am I got tired of not having a shield on this knife so I cut off a .22 shell end/head and made it into a shield.
Very cool, I'm digging that!
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

glennbad wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:50 am
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:16 am
Very cool, I'm digging that!
::handshake:: thanks G.B. ::tu::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

What a great idea. The mark made by the firing pin gives it some character, too! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I like it!
I have put in a center-fire cartridge, but not a rimfire. It looks better than I'd expected!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I love it! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I fill in cracks all the time with epoxy. Sometimes it looks like crap 💩 sometimes it looks like something less than crap. But it does make the knife more usable again... ::hmm:: In the photo is a J.A. Henkle's ($25-$30 new) German made kitchen knife. I paid $0.50 for it with a cracked handle. Mixed up some epoxy and Whala! A good solid kitchen knife for lots of hard use on the cheap :)
Attachments
DSCF3654.JPG
DSCF3655.JPG
DSCF3656.JPG

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Here is a fill in job, with the help from some epoxy and Bob Ross!
Attachments
DSCF3847.JPG
DSCF3848.JPG
DSCF3849.JPG
DSCF3850.JPG
DSCF3851.JPG

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Kimzilla wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:59 am No offense, but the heck would you use that for after you're finished with it???
The handle has been water-proofed and is sealed. It is great German steel! I would use it in the kitchen to prepare delicious vegan food ....

tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

I don't make many knives but I'm easing back into it. I made this small parts holder/"finger saver" for holding things like bolsters to grind. It's based on a milling machine hold down kit. I used it to grind one set of bolsters and I think it worked well.

It's a 1/8" thick steel plate with holes drilled and tapped for 8/32 bolts. The strips of bar steel act as clamps with the end bolts are tightened.
small parts holder 01.jpg
small parts holder 02.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

tinkerer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:36 pm I don't make many knives but I'm easing back into it. I made this small parts holder/"finger saver" for holding things like bolsters to grind. It's based on a milling machine hold down kit. I used it to grind one set of bolsters and I think it worked well.

It's a 1/8" thick steel plate with holes drilled and tapped for 8/32 bolts. The strips of bar steel act as clamps with the end bolts are tightened.
That looks like it should work very well. Nice innovation! I love to make my own tools.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”