Shops, tools, materials and tips

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
FRJ

Re: Shops, tools, materials and tips

Post by FRJ »

And more tools................
Attachments
My rehandled spatulas & two in line for my daughter.
My rehandled spatulas & two in line for my daughter.
Large C clamps.
Large C clamps.
I used the vicegrip clamps when I installed kitchens.
I used the vicegrip clamps when I installed kitchens.
A nice tennoning tool.
A nice tennoning tool.
A fairly new sidewinder.
A fairly new sidewinder.
Fasteners I bring on a job.<br />Well worth having around.
Fasteners I bring on a job.
Well worth having around.
008.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
A nice handy size router. <br />I got this free.
A nice handy size router.
I got this free.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

And more tools...........Thanks.
Attachments
A double compound 10&quot; saw. I got the router free with this.
A double compound 10" saw. I got the router free with this.
A little table to keep tools at hand while trimming.
A little table to keep tools at hand while trimming.
I &quot;fourty fived&quot; the brace edge to the leg edge.
I "fourty fived" the brace edge to the leg edge.
017.JPG (45.32 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
018.JPG
My nice brushes and dippers used to measure stain mixes and paint.
My nice brushes and dippers used to measure stain mixes and paint.
Some of my more refined tools.
Some of my more refined tools.
My comfy shop stool.
My comfy shop stool.
Joe
CCBill

Post by CCBill »

Wow, Joe, thanks for all the great pictures. Looks like a vey functional shop.
Your rehandled spatulas are something that will be passed on for generations.
I've never seen a vise quite like the red one. What is the purpose of the round hole in the base?
Great pics with waaay to much to comment on.
Who's next???

You asked about the old muzzle loader hanging on the wall in my shop? It was made for Child, Pratt& Co, St. Louis by Enterprise Gun Works, Pittsburg, between 1852& 1860. 36", .40 cal. barrel. Double set triggers. To be a shooter, it needs to be re-stocked. It also needs sights, ramrod thimbles and a ramrod. I thought about re doing it but a Gentleman on an antique gun website convinced me to leave it in it's as found condition. I bought it at our local trade day.
Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein...
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Bill, I'm glad you have so much information on the muzzleloader. Leaveing it as found is good reasoning I think.
There's lots of other shooters, if that's what you want to do.

About the vice(s). Please see pictures. I got these about six years apart. The last was the machinist vice. Praise be!!
I've had the woodworkers vice for about 20 years.
Attachments
029.JPG
030.JPG
034.JPG
036.JPG
038.JPG
039.JPG
042.JPG
This adjustment lever, with adjustment screw, tightens to the post as the vice jaws are tightened.
This adjustment lever, with adjustment screw, tightens to the post as the vice jaws are tightened.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

And speaking of woodworkers, have you seen my hammers?

The 16 oz. curved claw, in picture 58, is what I carried exclusivly. That hammer is a replacement. I wore one out at the handle. I couldn't believe it. It just folded in the middle one day. I was bummed. The little wooden handled curved claw above it was used for clapboard and cedar shingles.

I know I'm posting a lot of pictures. I don't want to take over the thread. I'm just jumping in.
I'm not through though.
Tips........ I've got something for tips. It's woodworker/carpenter themed. Later
Attachments
CAN YOU FIND THE &quot;CHENEYS&quot;?
CAN YOU FIND THE "CHENEYS"?
058.JPG
057.JPG
WHO CAN TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT THIS HAMMER?
WHO CAN TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT THIS HAMMER?
061.JPG
063.JPG
071.JPG
073.JPG
Joe
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Versa-vises in all their various clone-flavors are about the neatest handiest vice around. One of my brother swiped my Versa-vise to use on some telescope-building project so I picked up a Parrot clone. I've used that for everything from gunstocking to plumbing to bookbinding to luthery. Your only limit is your sanity (too much can be a limiting factor!). The teeny anvil isn't good for much but straightening pins, but it is a great vise.

I got torqued one time about excessive pull on a knife, stared at the vise for a while, and went a little nuts in the shop. I rigged up a way to actually test/measure the amount of force needed to open the knife, instead of using old subjective "1-10 scale." Turned out the original Remington 1123 I formerly considered to have "stout" pull (about 8 or 9 on the 1-10 scale) took 23# to open; the one that was bothering me was almost twice that! Knowing the numbers, I felt much better about returning it to the seller.

Jim
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Jim, I'm glad to know someone else knows about the great Versa-Vice. I use these two alot.

Knives with "stout" pulls tend to be a little irksom to me, the older I get.

Will you show pictures of your shop?
Joe
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

FRJ wrote:Will you show pictures of your shop?
You think I'm organized enough to have a shop??? I haven't even managed to get everything in the same county yet! My PM66 is 100 miles west of here (brother has 3 phase, I don't), my "big" shop is over at the sawmill about 30 miles west, and here at home stuff is everywhere. I've got wood drying in 3 rooms, a gunstocking bench (w/Parrot vise) and overstuffed mechanics chest in the kitchen, SRO out in the garage . . . and NONE of them have A/C!!! Arghhh.

I'll try to put some pics together over the weekend, its only supposed to be about 90 degrees Saturday.

Jim
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Joe,
Pic #57 appears to be a saw hammer, used to true large saw blades.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
CCBill

Post by CCBill »

WOW, Joe! Keep on postin'! I'd never seen a versa vice before but I'm going to try to find one. I just started on the hammers about a year ago. You are waaaay ahead of me on them and a lot of other stuff.

knives-are-quiet, didn't mean to leave you out. Great pictures of your shop and tools. Glad you didn't clean it up first. That takes away a lot of the character and of the area. I won't know how to act if I ever get MY mess straightened up.

coffeecup, please post all the pictures you care to. I think this is a great thread and I hope a lot more Members will post what they got.

glennbad, can't leave you out. Have you noticed that these areas all have a personality all their own? They are as unique as the person or persons that work in them.

I don't want to leave anybody out but I'm out of town and have limited access to this laptop. We'll be gone a couple of days.

I'm ashamed to show anything but my work bench and a few tools. Hopefully, I'll have my shop straightened up in a couple of weeks. My shop is a 20'X20' but right now it's more like a 5'X5'(LOL)...

Much thanks to all of you.
...CCBill... 8)
Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein...
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

CCBill, if I can find it I'll post a shot of my bench from my previous lifetime as a cabinetmaker. Between the open space on my bench, the floorspace between my bench and the 15 horse air compressor behind me, and the tool cabs, I didn't have 25 square feet of working space.

Could have been worse though. I knew a luthier down in Central America who floored his entire shop with a sheet of plywood, then moved in his bench and tools. He did some very nice work, proving once again that the size of the shop isn't the critical factor.

Jim
ringergary

Post by ringergary »

Hi all, I don't have a shop, mine's a work area in the annexe.
Just got my bench that gets used for everything. I built for mostly
leatherwork, that's why it's got the big marble slab in the middle. ::paranoid::

It does the job for me, but sometimes more room and extra benches would be good.

cheers Gary ::hmm::
Attachments
P1000715.JPG
P1000716.JPG
P1000717.JPG
P1000718.JPG
Cheers
Gary

" The dog that trots about gets the bone "
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Gary, at least you have a place to be creative. That's important.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I've got wood drying in 3 rooms, a gunstocking bench (w/Parrot vise) and overstuffed mechanics chest in the kitchen,
Jim[/quote]

Jim, there's something about all that that make me envious of you somehow.
What instruments do you make? Can you show us some gunstocks and hopfully some barreled actions?

Dale,
thanks for that reply. Now that I think of it, was it used to set the tooth of the saw blade?
I rehandled that head.

Can anyone find the "Cheneys" in picture 53?
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I wanted to address "tips" in the title of this thread.
For me, accuracy is very important. You have to learn to be accurate. It takes a little effort, but it's not rocket science.
A sharp pencil is very important.
People often ask "why is a carpenters pencil flat"? More importantly, why is the lead flat?
SO IT WONT ROLL? No, it's designed that way so you can sharpen it with a fine edge on that flat surface. That elongated edge will last a long time if you use it correctly, and continue to give you that fine accurate line. And in the early days it was always sharpened with a knife that most men carried. My skin crawles when I see guys sharpen their pencils with homedepot round pencil sharpeners. Many used office pencils. Few used carpenter pencils.
Around here, no exageration, in well over 30 years work, I met only two or three guys that were carpenters, that carried a knife. A slipjoint.
Attachments
076.JPG
079.JPG
079.JPG (45.2 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
080.JPG
080.JPG (47.6 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
083.JPG
Joe
CCBill

Post by CCBill »

Keep those pictures coming and Joe, that's a good tip on the carpenter's pencil...
I dug out one of my machinist tool boxes today and will take some pictures, soon.
We've been out of town for 3 days and I have some catching up to do.
...CCBill... 8)
Albert Einstein...
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Looking forward to it, Bill. Thanks.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, I did get those spatula handles made for my daughter.
Attachments
001.JPG
003.JPG
Joe
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Wow, you guys have been busy. I see, Jeff, that you are a tool packrat just like me! So many hammers...

Glenn
CCBill

Post by CCBill »

Finally got a chance to do it. This box belonged to an old Gentleman by the name of Albert Weideman. He was nice but kinda grouchy. He was my Friend. His family took several of his tools before I got a chance to buy the box. I told them if thet ever wanted to sell them that I would like first chance at them. About 2 weeks later, a Buddy of mine called and said the tools were up for sale but they sold them all before I could get there for about 20% of what I would have payed for them. Oh well...
No name on the box but maybe one of you guys can identify it by style. It's well made as attested to by the dovetail construction.
I need to put some lemon oil or something on it. It's getting dryed out.
It measures about 20"wide.X 9"deep.X 12&1/2"tall.
...CCBill... 8)
Attachments
002.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
009.JPG
Albert Einstein...
CCBill

Post by CCBill »

Here's more...
Attachments
010.JPG
011.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Oh baby!! That's some fine old American stuff right there.
Joe
ringergary

Post by ringergary »

Here's a couple of weapons of work!!!!
Some knockometers,pliers, pin punches,etc.
Was cleaning up and reckon I'd post these. ::facepalm::

cheers Gary.
Attachments
P1000754.JPG
P1000753.JPG
P1000752.JPG
P1000751.JPG
P1000750.JPG
Cheers
Gary

ringergary

Post by ringergary »

And some more..

Made that spreader, just used some old antler, natural curve so it fits the hand for twisting. ::hmm::

Haven't used it yet!!! ::paranoid::

cheers Gary
Attachments
P1000755.JPG
P1000756.JPG
Cheers
Gary

johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Wow.....Bill..I just noticed your Box!! ::tu:: ....Thanks for telling me..I would have missed it. ::nod::
That is awesome...I have one that is a bit smaller and it doesn't have the front locking panel....Mine doesn't have the dove tail corners like that either. That probably can help you date it.
::shrug:: Looks like you got a bunch of cool old tools with it also. ::tu::
Heres a pic of mine.
Attachments
IMG_0254.JPG
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”