A word of CAUTION....

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
tongueriver

Re: A word of CAUTION....

Post by tongueriver »

Some of you may have read my post about the time (very recently) wherein I welded all the keys to my computer keyboard into a solid warped mass, with... you guessed it... brake cleaner. I am guessing that the OP knife from Germany had celluloid handles. Not exactly a plastic, but close enough to incur the wrath of the brake cleaner God. Some good advice here also, about using gloves. I also take some of these chemicals OUTSIDE to use. I just sprayed out a pair of winter boots with some kind of aerosol silicone spray and I did it OUTSIDE. I think that any kind of volatile liquid or spray calls for caution. Hmmm.... I wonder what brake cleaner would do to latex gloves. :shock:
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

tongueriver wrote:
I am guessing that the OP knife from Germany had celluloid handles.

Hmmm.... I wonder what brake cleaner would do to latex gloves. :shock:
That is a couple of good points....

I am not sure what material was used for the scales on this knife....... Being from Germany, I wasn't sure if the German makers used celluloid (and if they did, WHEN... time period wise)
I guess the reaction with the brake cleaner could be considered a good "smoke test" for cell. (???)
Maybe someone with a better knowledge of cell can chime in.

I have never had a problem with the brake cleaner attacking latex work gloves. I have boxes of those you can get at Harbor Freight and I have used them while cleaning up old guns and using brake cleaner. No problems there.

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

celluloid does not like chemicals, at all. Even superglue will melt some celluloids and cause them to go all gooey.

nearly all if not all of plastic handled indian head/buck creeks are celluloid just like bulldogs, case classics and winchester repros
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”