Honest Old Family Knife (HOFK)

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Doc B

Honest Old Family Knife (HOFK)

Post by Doc B »

A couple of weeks ago, I was going through some old stuff, from my Grandmother’s estate. I came across this old, well-worn Camillus and a Case knife, that had seen better days. These knives had laid back, in a drawer, at least 25 years, since the passing of my Grandfather. The Camillus’ (Delrin?) handles were shrinking and lifting off the end of the knife. If my research is correct, the two-piece can opener puts this in the 1946-48 time period. It’s possible, this also belonged to my Grandfather’s Father-in-law.
I didn’t have to pull the knife apart to rehandle it. She cleaned up pretty well and the snap on all 4 blades is exceptionaI. I rehandled in canvas micarta and inset a red coral disk, surrounded by a sterling silver bezel. I had two sizes of coral, 1/4” and 1/2”. The 1/4 was too small and the half inch was a bit too big. If I had it to do over again...I’d probably flatten out two sides of the coral and make something that was closer to the shape of the knife. Traditionalists and Papa Jack are probably shaking their heads at “fancying up” the old work knife.
Although, not as refined as the Master Cutlers, here of AAPK...this has risen from the back of a drawer...to a special place in my collection. It will probably only see light blade use; however, will probably become my “crown-lifter of choice” if hanging out with friends. The Case knife will see it’s day, when I get a bit of experience with bone.
IMG_1155.jpg
I include this picture, for reference only, of the original main blade size:
Camillus Scout Knife.jpg
Attachments
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1164.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Honest Old Family Knife (HOFK)

Post by doglegg »

Now past and present have met. Nice to put something old and sentimental back to work.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great save, Doc. I applaud your efforts. ::tu::
Joe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice save Doc! ::tu::
The shrinking handles on the Camillus is not Delrin, it is probably FG stag, made by Foster Grant Corporation a composite substitute for stag handles during World War II. It is also known as Shrinky Dink handles, so named by our own JerryD. I would have to look up the dates on it but I think Shrinky Dink dates towards the end of the war, about 1944 or 1945.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

orvet wrote:Nice save Doc! ::tu::
The shrinking handles on the Camillus is not Delrin, it is probably FG stag, made by Foster Grant Corporation a composite substitute for stag handles during World War II. It is also known as Shrinky Dink handles, so named by our own Jerry's. I would have to look up the dates on it but I think Shrinky Dink dates towards the end of the war, about 1944 or 1945.
Dale, thanks for the info, on the handles!!!
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

You did a beautiful job. I’ll bet your Grandfather would be excited to know what you did with his old knife!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Twhite

Post by Twhite »

I really like the red dot you did. great work!
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Another chapter...
I was never really happy with the final result of the coral disk. I thought it was too big and when I looked at it, it kinda reminded me of a Japanese Zero. Considering Papa Jack served in WW II (Although, Europe), I could never get that out of my head. Having recently replaced a missing shield, on another knife, with black epoxy, I decided to carve our last-name initial, in to the coral disk and fill it with black epoxy. For those of you that would say I'm a little off...you are correct...but back to the knife, I intentionally canted the letter. I think I like the results a bit better.
IMG_1381.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice save in another chapter, Doc. ::tu::

How does one carve coral?
Joe
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

FRJ wrote:Nice save in another chapter, Doc. ::tu::

How does one carve coral?
I used a variable speed drill, with a very small round bur. So, I guess I technically drilled it out. ::facepalm::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Cool Doc, just wondering how you got that "B" in there.
Thank you.
Joe

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”