Imperial with broken blade

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
jtk

Imperial with broken blade

Post by jtk »

Greetings!

I recently inheirited some knives from my grandfather (a Case XX, a Camillus 16, and a small Imperial, all from the 50s-60s I think). The Imperial has 2 blades, and the smaller one is broken off more than halfway down the blade, leaving a sharp little nub that catches in the pocket. I'm fairly certain it's not worth having fixed. Can I grind this down or something? I'd like to carry it and the larger blade would be enough to make it worthwhile to me.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Imperial with broken blade

Post by doglegg »

Welcome jtk, post a pic if you have one. About grinding the blade off some, sounds good as you aren't going to damage it worse, it's already broken. Pocket that sucker and enjoy it. ::nod:: ::handshake::
jtk

Post by jtk »

Thanks! Here's some pictures. The large blade has some schmutz on it but I expect it to come off with steel wool. And it needs to be sharpened.
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thank you I bet it will clean up real knice. I don't have one but I've the steel is great in some of those. ::tu::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

You may be able to grind that back, to somewhat of a "sheepsfoot" type blade end...leaving just enough to get your fingernail in, for opening. That would leave you a mini box or package opener.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jtk

Post by jtk »

I see how that could work. We'll see how ambitious I feel. Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”