A "different" shield...

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Doc B

A "different" shield...

Post by Doc B »

Remembering back to November 8th 2018...the town of Paradise, California, was virtually wiped off the map, by one of the largest wildfires in California history. Paradise was a "one road through town", type of town...covered in pine trees, along a canyon road. 85 people died and nearly 18,000 residences were destroyed. My wife's brother's house, his daughter's house and another of my wife's sister's houses were a total loss. It took roughly 2 months, before people were allowed back in to town. Safety and looting, were key factors in keeping people out. Hugh (my brother-in-law) and his wife, took this picture, saluting the memories, with a shot of whiskey. That's their fireplace , back left of photo. Everyone is now "resettled" and we give thanks, that everyone escaped, unharmed. The knife is secondary, to the story...but I recently sent this to him. My wife's family's brand was the 69. Kind of strange to me...but the story was, it only took one iron brand to accomplish. I took a square sterling silver wire, bent it to shape and inset, into micarta handles.
Hugh.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg[/attachment [attachment=1]IMG_1133.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg
Attachments
IMG_1132.jpg
IMG_1133.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A "different" shield...

Post by orvet »

Nice job on the knife. ::tu::
The family connection and memories around it are priceless!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great job Doc. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The video clips of the California fires are frightening. Vegetation was so dry the heat seemed to vaporize it and spread the flames like gasoline thrown into the air. This is not the type of wildfire behaviour we have seen in the past.
I live in the mountains in south central B.C. There are scattered communities with as few as 50 people up to towns of 10,000. We have not had any significant precipitation in 2019. Fortunately it is cool right now. A hot summer could put us in a situation similar to the California fires.
My best knives are in a large 'fire proof' safe but with fires like those in California the heat would likely be more than the safe can protect against.
kj
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

5 Stars Doc ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Oh man.... sorry to hear about your family's loss.
You did a great job on that knife.....

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”