Best way to disassemble this?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
tinkerer

Best way to disassemble this?

Post by tinkerer »

I came across the remnants of a dual bladed pen knife switchblade this weekend. I don't think it's salvagable but correct me if I'm wrong. I was hoping for advice on how to disassemble it to see what made it tick. Its very rusted/corroded. I was thinking on soaking the metal parts in vinegar to get it apart, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Any idea what make/model it was? It's about a 2 1/2" pen knife. Looks like each blade was a opened by pressing a separate button on each side.
oldknife01.jpg
oldknife02.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Best way to disassemble this?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

tinkerer wrote:I came across the remnants of a dual bladed pen knife switchblade this weekend. I don't think it's salvagable but correct me if I'm wrong. I was hoping for advice on how to disassemble it to see what made it tick. Its very rusted/corroded. I was thinking on soaking the metal parts in vinegar to get it apart, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Any idea what make/model it was? It's about a 2 1/2" pen knife. Looks like each blade was a opened by pressing a separate button on each side.

oldknife01.jpg

oldknife02.jpg
I think you are right in saying it is not salvagable. I use a product called Kroil on items like this. The molecules of Kroil will penetrate into spaces as small as one millionth of an inch. I put some into a small plastic bag and let the knife sit in it for 24 hrs.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:I think you are right in saying it is not salvagable. I use a product called Kroil on items like this. The molecules of Kroil will penetrate into spaces as small as one millionth of an inch. I put some into a small plastic bag and let the knife sit in it for 24 hrs.
Thanks! I'll try that.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I also think that one may be gone, but it is still worth taking apart to see how it's put together. I use a product called Evaporust. it does a good job on rust removal, IMO.

How are those covers? They look to be in one piece...
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I agree, it's probably not salvageable...but to further answer your question. Now that the covers are off, it's easier to get to the three primary pins, that hold the knife together. They have been "peened" or hammered, to make them wider, on the ends, to originally hold things together. You can cut one side of the pins off and "tap" them out. That may be easier said than done...with the corrosion...so that initial soaking will help either way. Once you remove the three pins..on most traditional folders...it will come apart, in to it's separate components. I confess I don't know what else is within an automatic and someone else may come along and tell you there is more holding things together, than what I've said. Since it would appear you like to "tinker"...I'd probably pull it apart, too. I don't think you've got too much to lose...and you'll learn something in the process.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

glennbad wrote:I also think that one may be gone, but it is still worth taking apart to see how it's put together. I use a product called Evaporust. it does a good job on rust removal, IMO.

Thanks for the Evaporust suggestion. I'll look into that also. The covers are in one piece but severely cracked on one and possible signs of breaking down. I'm not sure about that.
Doc B wrote:I agree, it's probably not salvageable...but to further answer your question. Now that the covers are off, it's easier to get to the three primary pins, that hold the knife together. They have been "peened" or hammered, to make them wider, on the ends, to originally hold things together. You can cut one side of the pins off and "tap" them out. That may be easier said than done...with the corrosion...so that initial soaking will help either way. Once you remove the three pins..on most traditional folders...it will come apart, in to it's separate components. I confess I don't know what else is within an automatic and someone else may come along and tell you there is more holding things together, than what I've said. Since it would appear you like to "tinker"...I'd probably pull it apart, too. I don't think you've got too much to lose...and you'll learn something in the process.

I am a bit of a tinker, but I don't want to damage something if it's salvagable. Thanks!
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

tinkerer wrote:
glennbad wrote:I also think that one may be gone, but it is still worth taking apart to see how it's put together. I use a product called Evaporust. it does a good job on rust removal, IMO.

Thanks for the Evaporust suggestion. I'll look into that also. The covers are in one piece but severely cracked on one and possible signs of breaking down. I'm not sure about that.
Doc B wrote:I agree, it's probably not salvageable...but to further answer your question. Now that the covers are off, it's easier to get to the three primary pins, that hold the knife together. They have been "peened" or hammered, to make them wider, on the ends, to originally hold things together. You can cut one side of the pins off and "tap" them out. That may be easier said than done...with the corrosion...so that initial soaking will help either way. Once you remove the three pins..on most traditional folders...it will come apart, in to it's separate components. I confess I don't know what else is within an automatic and someone else may come along and tell you there is more holding things together, than what I've said. Since it would appear you like to "tinker"...I'd probably pull it apart, too. I don't think you've got too much to lose...and you'll learn something in the process.

I am a bit of a tinker, but I don't want to damage something if it's salvagable. Thanks!
I'm with you there! ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The blades are not held in by pins- they use bushings that are smaller on the ends-where they go through the liners. You can't remove the blades (properly) without disassembly of the knife body.
There is nothing really inside the knife, other than the kick spring. Everything else is on the outside of the liners.
The knife body is held together with flush pins through what would be called the backspring, or spine.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Thanks Bill.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

It does not appear to be salvageable, but don't soak it in vinegar (see thread on rust removal pitfalls)
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Thanks muskrat man.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”