Quaker City Cutlery Company

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
User avatar
Doc B
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1573
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 pm
Location: San Antonio

Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby Doc B » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:49 pm

This thing looked like it had a rough life. Looked like it had been run over by a vehicle. You can see it was squished in. Secondary blade was broken. One bolster had an extra pin in it...where I guess someone previously pinned the bolster on, when it came off. Handles were wood and broken. For .99 cents and 3.99 shipping..the long pull, double swedge and large shield called my name. When I got it apart, all 4 of the bolsters dropped off...so I soldered them on to their liners. Took out the broken blade, hammered out the bent liners and rehandled in black canvas micarta. There is a small chip in the edge, but it doesn't affect it too much...it took a good edge. Figured I'll just let it sharpen out.
IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg


There's not too much to be found on the Quaker City Cutlery Company...if anyone has any info...feel free to chime in.
I kinda like the Quaker dude on the back side of the tang.
IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

knife-nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:09 am
Location: Wichita, Kansas

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby knife-nut » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:38 pm

I seem to recall that Quaker cutlery had a Wichita Kansas connection. I used to collect knives from Wichita, as I was born and raised there. I don’t have any knife books anymore, so I can’t look it up. Sorry it doesn’t help much.

knife-nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:09 am
Location: Wichita, Kansas

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby knife-nut » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:41 pm

If I remember right there is a little information in Goins book about Quaker Cutlery.

User avatar
Meridian_Mike
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm

Good show Doc! Nice save.
That old knife needed some love and it found you! Looks like it would be an interesting carry knife. Show it off to friends. I bet they have never heard of that maker before!

::tu::
"...... are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

"You load 16 tons and what do ya get?
another day older and deeper in debt.
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company sto'.."

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:48 pm

Doc B wrote:This thing looked like it had a rough life. Looked like it had been run over by a vehicle. You can see it was squished in. Secondary blade was broken. One bolster had an extra pin in it...where I guess someone previously pinned the bolster on, when it came off. Handles were wood and broken. For .99 cents and 3.99 shipping..the long pull, double swedge and large shield called my name. When I got it apart, all 4 of the bolsters dropped off...so I soldered them on to their liners. Took out the broken blade, hammered out the bent liners and rehandled in black canvas micarta. There is a small chip in the edge, but it doesn't affect it too much...it took a good edge. Figured I'll just let it sharpen out.


There's not too much to be found on the Quaker City Cutlery Company...if anyone has any info...feel free to chime in.
I kinda like the Quaker dude on the back side of the tang.


I believe that Quaker City Cutlery Company was in Pennsylvania.
I believe the "Quaker dude" is William Penn.
I'm probably incorrect. Wouldn't be the first time.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
Meridian_Mike
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:52 pm

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
I believe that Quaker City Cutlery Company was in Pennsylvania.
I believe the Quaker dude is William Penn.
I'm probably incorrect. Wouldn't be the first time.


I was thinking maybe Pennsylvania too.... That is Quaker country up that way.

::shrug::
"...... are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

"You load 16 tons and what do ya get?
another day older and deeper in debt.
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company sto'.."

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:57 pm

Meridian_Mike wrote:
New_Windsor_NY wrote:
I believe that Quaker City Cutlery Company was in Pennsylvania.
I believe the Quaker dude is William Penn.
I'm probably incorrect. Wouldn't be the first time.


I was thinking maybe Pennsylvania too.... That is Quaker country up that way.

::shrug::


Pennsylvania is called "The Quaker State." California should be called "The EarthQuaker State."
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
Meridian_Mike
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:02 pm

New_Windsor_NY wrote:Pennsylvania is called "The Quaker State." California should be called "The EarthQuaker State."


::ds::
::tu::
"...... are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

"You load 16 tons and what do ya get?
another day older and deeper in debt.
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company sto'.."

User avatar
Doc B
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1573
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby Doc B » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 pm

Seems like it was a well made knife, once upon a time.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

User avatar
Meridian_Mike
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:55 pm

Doc B wrote:Seems like it was a well made knife, once upon a time.


Sho 'nuff....
Back "in the day" the knife craftsmen tried to make some good knives. That is why I like the older knives better than the newer stuff.
Although.... I can't speak for the "quality" of the older steels.
"...... are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

"You load 16 tons and what do ya get?
another day older and deeper in debt.
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company sto'.."

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 6074
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby doglegg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:00 pm

Great save DocB! Restored the old fellows dignity. ::tu:: ::tu::

N W NY you made a funny. :lol: :lol: ::tounge::

User avatar
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 16955
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 6:23 am
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby orvet » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:23 pm

Nice save Doc! ::tu::

Was there any indication of how the bolsters were originally attached, either by solder or pins?
I have encountered a number of old German knives that had no means of attachment for the bolsters. They were hollow, curved pieces of nickel silver that were apparently held on by the pivot pins. As soon as I cut the pivot pins the knife was in pieces except for the springs and liners held together by the rocker pin.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain

User avatar
Doc B
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1573
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby Doc B » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:30 pm

orvet wrote:Nice save Doc! ::tu::

Was there any indication of how the bolsters were originally attached, either by solder or pins?
I have encountered a number of old German knives that had no means of attachment for the bolsters. They were hollow, curved pieces of nickel silver that were apparently held on by the pivot pins. As soon as I cut the pivot pins the knife was in pieces except for the springs and liners held together by the rocker pin.

Dale, the bolsters were indeed hollow. The liners (brass) appeared somewhat silverish, where the bolsters were in contact. May have just been the corrosion effect. I too was trying to determine if there was ever solder. If there was...it wasn't much. Based on the fact you've encountered many, without solder..I think it is possible, these were held on, originally, with just the pins.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

User avatar
mariacrow44
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:44 pm
Location: Ripley, Ohio

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby mariacrow44 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:11 pm

According to Goins Encyclopedia, Quaker City Cutlery Co. c 1886-1935 Was A trade mark Used by H. Disston. Smith & Seltzer Was The Exclusive Agent For This brand. Hope This helps!!

User avatar
steve99f
Posts: 2093
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 pm
Location: Eastern PA

Re: Quaker City Cutlery Company

Postby steve99f » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:18 am

Disston is still in business in Philly known as Disston Precision, Quality since 1840 according to their website. Maker of saws and such.
steve99f


Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests