A Salvage Mod of an Eye Brand with Solder Bolsters

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Salvage Mod of an Eye Brand with Solder Bolsters

Post by orvet »

I think Jeff posted about a German knife that had no solder on the bolsters to hold them on. Another thing I have found fairly common is to have little solder on the bolsters or solder that has failed, I think that is often due to the fact that the liners are hollow and that very little solder was used.

I decided to make a single blade out of an old Carl Schlieper Eye Brand that has been sitting around my shop for seven or eight years, waiting for me to do something with it. I think I paid about a dollar for it from a junk box.

This is the before, broken spring for the secondary blades, broken tip on the clip blade, missing the rear handle, and the whole knife is full of thick grease/lint/gunk.
1- Carl Schlieper Eye Brand before.jpg
I split the knife with a razor blade and all the bolsters were loose.
2- old solder on the bolsters broke loose (1).jpg
I decided I would re-solder the bolsters so I cleaned the area with a brass brush and wiped off some of the grease. I put a drop of flux on the end of the liner and heated it up so it would mix with the existing solder still on the liner.
3- flux.jpg
Then I set the bolster in place and just heated the bolster and liner until the solder melted and the liner sat down in place. A big thank you to Bob (just bob) for the lighter that works well as a mini torch/soldering iron! I don’t know where he got them but they’re really nice because I didn’t have a small torch. Thanks again Bob it works great!
4- Soldiering bolster.jpg
One mistake I made when I first started soldering bolsters is putting too much solder on. All it takes is for a light coat of solder sticking to one of the surfaces and then heat them together so that the solder between the melts and sticks to both sides. I was fortunate in this case the solder was shaped to fit where the bolsters had been originally so when the solder melted the bolsters didn’t shift as the solder flowed beneath them. I’ve had that happen and I’m here to tell you, you don’t want to grab a hot bolster and try to put it into position with your fingers! Pliers work much better!

Once I got the bolsters reattached this was a pretty easy mod to do.
After cleaning the parts I used; the liners with bolsters reattached, the master blade spring and the master blade, which I reshaped to a Wharncliffe. Also it required a couple of bone slabs for handles. I had to smooth Amber bone slabs that had come from different dialogues even different sized pieces of bone. The handle on the pile side was much thicker than the one that was on the mark side. I had to sand the bone down to thin it out and the farther I sanded it, the lighter the color. I didn’t really care about the two different colored handles; this knife is strictly a user for me primarily in the shop. I didn’t even bother to put my etch on it, I will probably do that next time I set up the etching machine to etch some blades.

I thought some of you fellows might like to see the soldering process.
The soldering process is about the only thing new or different on this post then many of the ones I've done before.
I just thought I would show you how I do it in case anybody was looking for ideas.

Hope this was helpful.
Attachments
Eye Brand Single a.jpg
Eye Brand Single b.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Re: A Salvage Mod of an Eye Brand with Solder Bolsters

Post by WillyCamaro »

:o ::tu:: ::nod::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very nice, Dale! I like the wharncliff mod, too. I think it makes it even better, than the original clip. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Turned out nice Dale!
Soldering is fairly straight forward but lots of folks are hesitant to attempt it. Your post should encourage others to give it a try.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I'm no knife mechanic, but I do enjoy watching the process.
Thanks for sharing the details and not just before and after pics. ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Doc, I think a Wharncliffe is one of the most useful blade designs there is. If you consider the standard utility knife blade it is essentially a straight Wharncliffe. The straight edge and the point Wharncliffe blade gives is very useful in a variety of general utility applications. ::tu::

Thanks Jeff, I hope more people do overcome their reluctance or shyness to work on knives. For me it's more fun then actually collecting them.

I'm glad you enjoyed the process Steve. I will try to do a few more like that in the future. I just posted one that is mostly just after pictures and I have a second one to post in a day or two that are just mostly before and after pictures. Some of the other guys and mentioned it also, it's hard to remember to take pictures. I get to the workbench focused on working on the, not taking pictures. ::facepalm::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

Nice....
I bet that knife's worth more than a dollar now.....
Professional job as usual...….
Hope it comes in handy in your shop..... ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Nice, that could go right in my pocket!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very nice Dale! That is a nice old knife!
AND.... thanks for the soldering lesson. If too much can be used.... I will usually do it.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Love seeing them go from the scrap bin to the pocket!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”