Pocket Knife Restoration & Repair

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Gunsmoka

Pocket Knife Restoration & Repair

Post by Gunsmoka »

I am a new member. Do you have a list of referrals for folks who repair and restore pocket knives? I have seven (7) mostly just sentimental value, Boy Scouts, Forrest Master, Imperial, Colonial, Ulster etc.
Meridian_Mike

Re: Pocket Knife Restoration & Repair

Post by Meridian_Mike »

There is 4 or 5 guys (I think) that does work for other people. I personally am still learning and I don't feel comfortable doing work for others yet.

Post up a few pictures of your knives one at a time (each in their own thread) and maybe somebody will take on your job.

Welcome to the forum.

Mike
::handshake::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I agree with Mike. You might want to post close-up individual pictures, of each knife (we love pictures) and try to describe problems you would like corrected. Some of the brand knives you've mentioned often go for $10-15. Repair restoration might be $100. It's really hard to say, without seeing some. I, like Mike, am in the learning stage. There are a several folk that will chime in and help give some advice. Maybe one or two may be valuable knives, worth focusing on. Then you could decide whether it's worth the money for sentimental reasons...or you just want to clean them up and enjoy them, as they were, when you received them.
Welcome to AAPK ::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Gunsmoka

Post by Gunsmoka »

Please see photos.
Attachments
Knife 1.jpg
Knife 2.jpg
Knife 3.jpg
Knife 4.jpg
Knife 5.jpg
Knife 6.jpg
Knife 7.jpg
Knife 8.jpg
Knife 9.jpg
Knife 10.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Who might work on them for you could depend on what do you want done to them? Do they need blades replaced? Are backsprings broken? Are handle covers cracked, broken or missing? Or do they just need a good cleaning up (in which case you can probably do a lot yourself)?

More details would help.

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsmoka

Post by Gunsmoka »

No cracked handles. No broken blades. No broken back springs. They have been oiled but I can't get the rust off. Thinking that someone who could take them apart and clean inside would be needed.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I'm not trying to put you off but take a look at this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3308&p=23837&hilit=cleaning#p23837

The above thread has posts from the guys that restore for others.

I hope this helps you.
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Meridian_Mike wrote:I'm not trying to put you off but take a look at this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3308&p=23837&hilit=cleaning#p23837

The above thread has posts from the guys that restore for others.

I hope this helps you.
::tu::
BINGO Mike!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Gunsmoka wrote:No cracked handles. No broken blades. No broken back springs. They have been oiled but I can't get the rust off. Thinking that someone who could take them apart and clean inside would be needed.
That being the case you can do a pretty good job of cleaning them up yourself assuming you have the time,pacience and "elbow grease". If you read the posts in the link Mike provided, note the last post there is from Muskratman, a member here who is a fine knife mechanic, explains how he cleans knives.

How to clean knives is one of the more common topics here so there's a lot of information. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45848&p=600780&hili ... ng#p600780

Member Triple F (Scott) will clean them for you for a reasonable fee. Here's a description of what he does viewtopic.php?f=38&t=47909

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Generally speaking, your knives don't look in too bad of shape. I've been pulling knives apart, to learn and fix them...but It doesn't appear that yours need to be disassembled. Taking them apart takes a fair amount of time and would probably be fairly costly. I just cleaned this one up yesterday...and didn't take it apart. Most people value the aged metal / patina look. I personally wouldn't be trying to make yours look "shiny". But here is one I cleaned up yesterday...with overt rust all over the place... It also shows how I cleaned rust, inside. Toothpicks, paper clips, even another knife can work relatively well
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=63579
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”