Nice old bone

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Nice old bone

Post by orvet »

This knife is a blending of two knives that were so close to one another that some of the parts were actually interchangeable.
First is a Schrade single blade trapper without a tang stamp. Another interesting thing about this knife is it was made without a Swinden key. So, if it is indeed a Schrade, it was made prior to about 1961.
Schrade trapper no # a.jpg

My apologies for losing the pictures of the second knife, this one that donated the handles and back spring. I've had this knife for some time, so I'm sure I have photographed it at some point but I cannot locate the pictures. The tang stamp is illegible, there's enough left to see that there was something there one time but I have not been able to read. But I love the bone on this knife, perhaps someone can identify it by the jigging. It would not surprise me if this was a Schrade Cut Co. pattern and early Schrade bone.

One picture I have of this knife before it was completely revamped is of the parts that were left over after I put it back together.
These are the left over parts, the blade in the liner. Anyone recognize the blade?
no name donor.jpg

The knives were pretty much the same shape and same length. The spring out of the newer knife would not fit the old knife because the rocker pin hole was off by about 3/16". I used the spring out of the old knife and just put the newer blade in the old knife. It was not quite as easy as it might seem, getting it apart without breaking the bone beyond repair was an accomplishment.
There was one or two pin cracks even before I started working on it. I put the knife in my knife vise to compress the Springs, and it was going great. Then I took the tension off of a vise and let the knife support the full weight of the back spring. When I released the vise, it had allowed the spring to tension the blade and we heard a crack and a piece of bone about half an inch long broke out on either side of the rocker pin. At that point I was committed so I epoxy the chip back in, and used CA glue on the pin cracks.

I still don't know where the donor knife with a beautiful bone came from but I would like to get a lot more of it, I think it really looks great.

This is the new composite, combination or Franken knife knife. It makes a very nice EDC!
I thought it was worth the effort to save it! ::nod::
Attachments
Unknown & Schrade finished a.jpg
Unknown & Schrade finished b.jpg
Unknown & Schrade finished c.jpg
Unknown & Schrade finished d.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
samb1955

Re: Nice old bone

Post by samb1955 »

Looks really good, nice save on that one!
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

You can’t beat the looks of old bone. That turned out really great!
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That sure is a beauty Dale. That bone is a work of art!
Man, I love that L..O..N..G pull on the old blade. Do you think there is a lot of the blade missing? The blade still has a nice shape. At least it isn't bowed in the middle from poor sharpening.

You just can't beat the look of a good set of bone handles.!!!
Great job!!
My hat is off to you my friend!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That bone!!! That is the GOLD STANDARD...in my book!!! Great job in finding it a new home ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That's a beauty, alright, Dale! The donor bone/shield/frame looks Camillus to me, but don't quote me on that!
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That does look good. Nice save!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Whatever it WAS, it IS sho’ nuff fantastic now! I agree that the bone looks Camillus to me.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you all, I'm glad you liked it.

I was so focused on trade because of the knife from which I got the blade, I really hadn't thought about it being Camillus. I will have to look at it some of my old bone handle Camillus knives and see if there is anything close to this jigging pattern. I just did a quick look in my Camillus case and it appears that it is very close to some old Camillus' that I have.

I will post pictures if I find it close to some of the knives I have.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

After a quick search through a couple dozen older bone handled Camillus knives I thought these were the closest to the knife in the OP.
The knife in the OP is the center knife in this picture.

After staring at a bunch of knives with jigged bone handles they all start to look the same after a while, and they all look different as well.
Camillus and unknown (center).jpg

You guys decide which of the bone handles look most like the ones in the OP knife.
You guys are awesome, I really appreciate the help! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I don't know Dale.... I would have to say "none of the above"....
The closest MIGHT be "D" but there is a lot of wear so it's hard to tell.

I don't know what that jigging pattern is or who did it BUT.... it is beautiful.

::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Look at these.....
(Just throwing these out there)

Camillus...
xxcamillus.jpg
xxcamillus.jpg (22.23 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Remington
xxremington.jpg
xxremington.jpg (14.53 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Winchester
xxwinchester.jpg
::shrug::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I thought B was the closest to the OP but not an exact mstch. ::shrug::

It is difficult for me to tell if any are a match. I often think there is a slight difference in jigging between batches of bone from Culpeppers that are supposed to be the same pattern.
I seem to remember a discussion long ago in a forum far away about the mechanical wear factor in the old jigging machines causing a variation between batches of bone. But I don't remember where I heard that, or if it was the brisket sandwich I had for dinner.

Hopefully someone can figure out where the bone on the OP knife came from. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

The more you look it the OP knife, the more random the pattern looks.....
I don't know.... but whoever made that pattern did a great job! It is so rough, deep, random..... beautiful.

I don't suppose it could be natural could it?

::shrug::

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”