Inlaying Shields

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Inlaying Shields

Post by Jeffinn »

I’ve read a few different post on inlaying shields and they were very informative. I’m wondering how you transfer the outline of the shield to jigged bone. Are you tracing the outline with a marker right on the bone or is there a better way to get the pattern on to the bone?
Thanks.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Meridian_Mike

Re: Inlaying Shields

Post by Meridian_Mike »

what I did with that last knife that had the shield with all the fillagree was to flip the liner over so I could see the 2 holes where the pins came thru. Then, I drilled the holes from the inside out and it gave me a location for the shield. That one wasn't too hard to locate.

Then, I used a scribe I made from a drill bit and scratched the border of the shield. I went over it several times and each time I did this, the outline got deeper. So then, I had a definite location to do my dremmel work.

Now, if the shield doesn't have a pin..... I think I used a spring clamp to hold it in place and then scribed one side. Then took the spring clamp off and moved it to the other side of the shield. Then I could scribe the side that was hidden the first time by the spring clamp jaw.
I think that was what I did....
I am open to easier..... better methods though.
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Oh, one other thing.... I am an old draftsman by trade and I have some of the old lead holders hanging around. I use a lead holder to hold my sharpened drill bit shafts. Sure makes 'em easier to use.

::tu::
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Meridian_Mike wrote:what I did with that last knife that had the shield with all the fillagree was to flip the liner over so I could see the 2 holes where the pins came thru. Then, I drilled the holes from the inside out and it gave me a location for the shield. That one wasn't too hard to locate.

Then, I used a scribe I made from a drill bit and scratched the border of the shield. I went over it several times and each time I did this, the outline got deeper. So then, I had a definite location to do my dremmel work.

Now, if the shield doesn't have a pin..... I think I used a spring clamp to hold it in place and then scribed one side. Then took the spring clamp off and moved it to the other side of the shield. Then I could scribe the side that was hidden the first time by the spring clamp jaw.
I think that was what I did....
I am open to easier..... better methods though.
Thanks, I’ll give it a try today on a knife I’m working on. No pin on the shield so I’ll try the clamp and scribe method.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good luck Jeff. I was hoping some of the other guys that have more experience than me would chime in.
The shield I did with the clamp was an Old Timer oval shield... pretty easy in the over-all scheme of things.

::shrug::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Wish someone would chime in, with an easy way. I place the shield, then visually pick a safe place to drill...then place the shield again...and repeat ONE MILLION TIMES. ::smirk::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dale hasn't seen all us fish flopping on dry ground yet.
LOL......
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Dale hasn't seen all us fish flopping on dry ground yet.
LOL......
Yeah Mike, I saw you, I just had other things going on and haven't had time to do a quick tutorial.

I am getting ready to do a shield on a Cattaraugus and it will be a good one to use for an example.

If you have one or more pins in the shield I would drill a hole and set a pin in there so the shield doesn't slide around. Then I would use a drop of Zap-A-Gap medium, in the green bottle, and put one drop under the shield to anchor it to your chosen spot.

After giving it a couple minutes to dry then use a scribe to scratch around the shield leaving a good outline in the bone. Be sure you get down to the bone and are not just scratching the glue. Incidentally, your drill bit scribe is an excellent idea!

After I getting good outline scribed in the bone, I remove the shield with a little prying action or if there is no pin in it with a gentle sideways strike to the shield.
After that it is a matter of removing enough material with Foredom, Dremel or any other method you have of removing the bone.

I will try to get a little tutorial put together in the next day or two.
I hope this helps, don't want to see you floundering on the dry land! ::poke:: :lol:

I am sure you guys will do fine! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

See...I knew there had to be an easier way. Every time I tried to outline the shield...by any method...I always ended up moving it around.
Zap-a-gap GENIUS !!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

orvet wrote:
I will try to get a little tutorial put together in the next day or two.
I hope this helps, don't want to see you floundering on the dry land! ::poke:: :lol:

I am sure you guys will do fine! ::tu::
Yep, we would dry out real quick if we are left to flop too long.

Can't wait to see your tutorial Dale. I am interested to see which bits you use in your Foredom.

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Oh, one other thing.... I am an old draftsman by trade and I have some of the old lead holders hanging around. I use a lead holder to hold my sharpened drill bit shafts. Sure makes 'em easier to use.

........Welcome to the club, mike!!, I was a draftsman from 1952-2002(till the computer came along!!)...... ::facepalm:: ..........
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

carrmillus wrote: ........Welcome to the club, mike!!, I was a draftsman from 1952-2002(till the computer came along!!)...... ::facepalm:: ..........
LOL.... I was a late starter... I started in 1973 and went thru the computer drafting times. I was officially a steel detailer for 40 years. My last work was done with SDS/2 - 3D modeling. Now, I am just an ole steel estimator. Working for somebody just so I can get AFFORDABLE INSURANCE....
I couldn't AFFORD insurance as a self employed Steel Detailer. Thanks a lot... YOU KNOW WHO.....

::uc::

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”