CLEANINGS by Rattlesnake

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
ratlesnake75

Re: CLEANINGS by Rattlesnake

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thank you very much 1967redrider!!!

Hey Guys, for those of you who are enjoying this page, I do intend on "SHARING" my Knowledge & past experiences with "Knife cleanings" as time goes on. Its a Love & Passion of mine & NOT a "Secret" nor is it suppose to be. Knife restoration is similar to "Car Restoration" and that is no secret either. It can be a "Shade tree mechanic" job or it can be a "Barrett Jackson" job. I truly believe that ANY type of Restoration is all in the hands & eye of the person doing the "Work". My Goal is for all of us to Learn & Help each other in knife restorations. I hope you guys continue to follow this page & SHARE your little "Secrets" too.

My 1st little secret I just found out myself a month or so ago is this "Bar Keepers friend" household cleaner. Guys, This is a RUST remover & boy does it WORK GREAT on Antique knives ESPECIALLY the TANG STAMPS. It will NOT HURT the TANG STAMPS itself & cannot breakdown the CARBON inside the letters. I LOVE this stuff & SO DOES THE WIFE for her pots & pans/counter-tops/clothes washing/porcelain toilets/etc!!! So buy your wife a couple bottles & yourself one in this 3-pack version for less than 15-bucks... This stuff goes a LONG WAY!!!
https://www.amazon.com/3-PK-Keepers-Cle ... 6292&psc=1

Now take your safety pin to help clean out the tang stamp letters & this stuff will do the rest of the work for you. Absolutely NO SANDING required.. You rub it on & then rub it off, its that simple. Please dont leave it on very long & work slowly at your own pace. This stuff is also used in "Patina aging" so it can be used for many different things(((if you leave it on the carbon steel too long, it will cause it to rust))). You will get use to it & its affects as time goes on with its use. What I enjoy about it & its affects is that it DOES NOT REMOVE ANY METAL,,,,Simply just the RUST!!! After you use this stuff, Immediately run some oil on your fingers & then over your work area that you used it on. Its Water-Soluble too. Also, DO NOT get this stuff around any type of rubber/plastic/celluloid/ Etc knife handles because it will eat it up quickly & it will REMOVE Ink etches, Punch blade bluing etc,,,BE VERY CAREFUL with it. Here is an EXAMPLE of its "Magic". I used it on this particular knife w/ great results

Kindest Regards & Blessings Everyone
Mark
Attachments
71961816_515467055695809_8991890608318578688_n.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Here is a different knife I did a year or 2 ago. The reason for a slightly different color of the back handle is merely a "camera issue". I used a different camera back then & unless you have the proper settings on a camera, it changes your colors without you realizing it does. Camera photography is another subject altogether & its quite difficult even with today's technology to capture "correct coloring" of a knife handle without spending a ton of money on camera equipment. I always used a $50-camera until earlier this earlier in which & very nice humble rich knife guy sent me a better $300-camera to use. I feel very blessed sometimes
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
72721690_2435992623391309_5320128998318014464_n.jpg
71703774_735675756875361_1708874836043890688_n.jpg
71747999_712956922511995_6371108642405482496_n.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

One more to add!
Kindest Regards,
mark
Attachments
35082697_1914487775458529_5909042518669918208_n.jpg
35082697_1914487775458529_5909042518669918208_n1.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, I Just cleaned this knife a day before yesterday. Took me 16-hours,,,I worked on it all day & all night for the guy who bought it off ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-Awesom ... 7675.l2557
If you look really close in the "After Cleaning" backside picture of the knife opened,,,You should be able to see, ME!!!! hahahaha
If you wondering why it took me so long, I had to re-create the "center grind line" on both sides of the master blade. It was previously buffed to the point of that center grind line was not there at all in person. Its been one of the best knives I have done to date & This knife I went to 7,000grit finish so thats why the knife has a "Bling" & Clarity!!!
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
IMG_5850.JPG
IMG_5865.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5879.JPG
IMG_5883.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That 6465 is gorgeous. ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thanks Brother I appreciate that
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Rattlesnake, I'm impressed with your work! Thank you for the tip on Bar Keepers Friend as well. I bought some this morning and used it on an old Camco scout knife that was a rust bucket. It works great! I put it on and used an old toothbrush to scrub out the well and the tang of the knife. The rust just melted off! I rinsed it under running water and put it in my ultrasonic cleaner and more crud bubbles out. I've got it soaking in mineral oil now and can't wait to see how it turns out. Even after the initial cleaning I could tell the snap had been restored!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Byrd, Thank you Sir for the Compliments & your very welcome on the Bar Keepers friend... I was reading on the internet last month about antique rulers & tools & that is where I seen the info & restoration of hatchets etc with the use of this solution. I thought to myself HEY MARK, Try that stuff on a rusty knife, lol. Low & behold the stuff is amazing!!
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

What a great tip on the bar keeper’s friend. Thank you. Typically I’m not a fan of cleaning. But you made that old CASE a whole heap better. Good job.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Your very welcome Colonel26, I am not a fan of cleaned knives either. Matter of fact, I was raised to STAY FAR AWAY from "cleaned" knives by my Grandpa & father. As time went on, I got a bug for lightly cleaning up an old knife with a wire wheel on my grandpas grinder(he used a brass wheel & I still have it, lol). One thing led to another & about 5yrs ago, I decided to take 6-mos out of my life & teach myself how to properly clean an old knife up & getting tips along the way from aka Florida Bob.. I took my time & learned how to do it with sandpaper & my hands. I have a severe case of Rheumatoid arthritis & its very difficult to sand all day long, every day,,,,this is why I dont do more knives PLUS if you do it for a living,,,it takes ALL THE FUN out of it. I put LOVE into my creations, I promise you
Kindest Regards,
Mark
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Nice looking work ::tu::

The problem with knives that been cleaned is the value is greatly reduced, sometimes by half or more. I know shiny sell but be cautious on paying to much. Only way to clean a knife blade is to take away metal.
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Just got done cleaning up this 10dot for a good friend of mine. He has owned this knife for over 40yrs & skinned many a deer with it. I took good care of his knife for him & did this restoration as a Gift of friendship. This was what I been working on the last few days! He & I been talking about the "cleanings" that I do...He feels that its more of "custom" work. I tend to agree especially when I have too recreate grindlines & swedges etc cause they are not there anymore. Just food for thought
Kindest Regards & Blessings to Everyone,
Mark
Attachments
72884126_492042111643253_328139263805751296_n.jpg
IMG_5901.JPG
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Amazing work!!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thank you very much Mr. Scott
Kindest Regards,
Mark

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”