Cracks in wood of walking cane

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Ropeman

Re: Cracks in wood of walking cane

Post by Ropeman »

Can you clamp it together and make the cracks smaller or close up all the way? If so then put some epoxy in them and clamp it down while it dries.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I think it would look cool if you took some of that polyester casting resin like Bill mentioned, and mix it with some blue color, and fill those cracks. it would make a nice effect!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

tongueriver wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:27 pm I think that any of the oils sold for furniture or gunstocks would be useful I have a 'stick' that I apply a furniture lemon oil to from time to time. I wonder if these applications done regularly would arrest any further cracking. I kind of think so. I enjoy rubbing down my stick (lol).
::uc:: ::facepalm::
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Roland your stick likely wasn't seasoned long enough, blackthorn usually takes a good 8 years or so to season properly. Once wood is properly seasoned it becomes much more stable in sudden changes in temperature and humidity. Some suppliers tend to rush things when a big retailer comes a calling. At this point I would think that the casting resin would do a good job. If your bark is peeling you can strip it off, the bare wood is quite nice looking. Don't keep it too close to any high sources of dry heat such as heating elements or wood stoves.

The boiled linseed oil is also a good idea as it helps to seal the wood resulting in it drying more slowly. Fast drying is generally what causes the cracking, and it generally starts at the ends as they dry out quicker.

Eric
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

What ever you try, I hope it works for you.
I'd hate to see you lose a favorite walking stick.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

I have had bowls to crack during the drying process and to prevent them from cracking more, I use CA Glue. it will keep the wood from cracking further and once it is dry then I would fill the cracks with epoxy or saw dust. Thin CA works better.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

keithlong wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:36 am I have had bowls to crack during the drying process and to prevent them from cracking more, I use CA Glue. it will keep the wood from cracking further and once it is dry then I would fill the cracks with epoxy or saw dust. Thin CA works better.
https://www.google.com/search?q=CA+gllu ... e&ie=UTF-8
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you all ! Excellent help. I will get the polyester casting resin and once set up i can sand if necessary and then 'feed' with thin coats of boiled linseed oil. And i think a leather wrap soaked in epoxy just below the burl will look good and might help hold the stick together.
This wood is stronger and heavier than any tree or shrub that grows in south central B.C. It is intended to be both a cane for support and balance and for self defense from thugs and feral dogs, hence the strength and weight are important.
Again thank for the help, especially to Bill, Dale & Eric (the "Three Wise Men" of Knife Repair)
kj
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

The casting resin is a great idea. You can add color to match the stick as well. Before I used it though I would drill small holes at each end of the crack to prevent it from spreading. Doing that will eliminate any stress that will cause the crack to spread. Before using the resin I would flush the crack with acetone or rubbing alcohol to dry and clean any oil that may be in there. Good luck on your repair!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Byrd.
'Small hole': 1/8" drill bit ? or larger ?
shaft of stick is about 1" diameter.
kj
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

1\8 should do it. All you want to do is stop the crack from spreading. Put the hole on each end of the crack and make sure it goes past the bottom of the crack. The resin should fill it all and stop it. I've fixed many military surplus rifles in a similar fashion and never had the crack reappear, even under the heavy recoil of the rifle. Instead of resin I used an epoxy from Brownells called Acra Glas. It's very strong and won't shrink. Since your stick isn't subject to that high stress I'm sure the resin will be fine. Good luck with your project!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Acra-glass should be the perfect epoxy for the purpose. Even if that shillelagh was used to whack something! ::woot::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The local hardware store has a large selection of glues & epoxies but no "polyester casting epoxy" or "Acra-glass". I will go and look on Amazon or ebay.
I did buy a slow setting epoxy (24 hrs.) but i don't know how this might compare with the 2 products mentioned above. After 20 minutes of reading small print on many different adhesives, i felt i should buy something. :?
kj
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

You can get both Acra Glas and casting resin from Amazon. If you decide on Acra Glas get the original formula not the gel. The original is a thinner consistency and will flow into the cracks better. You can also order the Acra Glas from Brownells in Montezuma, Iowa. They have a well organized website that will offer help. They probably have videos of it's use as well.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Byrd, again, thank you for very specific helpful information.
kj
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

You're welcome. Glad to help! I've got one of those sticks my wife got me after I had a knee replaced. If be sick if anything happened to it.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”