Where do all these IDIOTS come from?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Meridian_Mike

Where do all these IDIOTS come from?

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I get SO MAD..... when I see a knife abused like this!!!
This is an EARLY Uncle Henry....
Cal said the thick handles are a sign of some of the first ones produced. After a little while, Schrade thinned the handles and started producing the UH's with the handles like you see most of the time. So.... this one is VERY early.

NOW..... look what some idiot did to the lock bar on this knife.....
It looks like a SNAKE or something. WHAT A TRAIN WRECK!!
Schrade Walden 127UH-5.jpg
I'm pretty sure that lock SHOULD look like this....
Schrade Liner Lock.JPG
I am going to have to take this one apart and TRY to fix that lock lever.

Has anyone of you experienced mechanics ever had to deal with something like this?

I need some advice please....
Makes me wanna throw something AT SOMEBODY!!!
:evil: ::cuss::

"Dumb fratenhaus snickel fifer!!"
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Where do all these IDIOTS come from?

Post by Jeffinn »

No, but it looks like someone just bent the locking tab out of the way (maybe they didn’t like the locking functionality). Most of those lock bars are pretty beefy brass. Can it be bent back into position?
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Jeffinn wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:37 pm No, but it looks like someone just bent the locking tab out of the way (maybe they didn’t like the locking functionality). Most of those lock bars are pretty beefy brass. Can it be bent back into position?
I sure hope so Jeff.....
According to what the one looks like on my 125OT, it should be almost straight with the tab at the end slightly cupped inward....

::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I took a big flat head screwdriver and (intermittently) got an Imperial Cub Scout in which someone had messed with the locks to make it work right by bending the lock back onto the blade. I would heat the lock first, however. Knife was given to a friend who is a Scoutmaster, so I don't have it anymore. I currently carry a Camillus, which someone had not messed with. Apparently, it is a common problem with this pattern. People apparently always messed with the locks--I guess to make it easier for their kid to close.

Why do people bend back locks? It's like taking the safety off a gun--a bad idea. It is pretty important for safety. Because I am left-handed, locks and myself have a love-hate relationship. Some knives are completely useless to a Southpaw. Others, I've adapted to--bracing a lockback or right-handed linerlock against my leg to release the lock has become second nature. The BSA, when I was a kid, for certain badges, required us to use locking knives. Others, like Benchmade's AXIS Lock or the left-handed linerlock on SAKs is no issue. The reason I like a Cub Scout over the Victorinox Pioneer is that the awl and screwdriver lock--I've had both fold up on me--got cut pretty bad one time drilling a hole with a Pioneer.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You wouldn't believe the desperate repairs I see on Switchblades!
If you take that knife apart, gently tap the lock straight with a small hammer and anvil. DO NOT heat it!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery