Blade reshape

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Blade reshape

Post by stockman »

What is the best way to straighten a bellied out sheepfoot blade? I was going to grind it straight then rebevel the edge, but wanted to ask the experts. Thanks Harold
eveled

Re: Blade reshape

Post by eveled »

Just keep sharpening it. Don’t grind it. I use a coarse diamond bench stone. The two high spots will get longer and longer until they meet in the middle. I cannot stand recurve blades and I find it satisfying (almost therapeutic) to straighten the edge on an old worn knife. These three knives were all like yours when I got them.
AC91548D-7538-4D4F-9202-14334B8A760E.jpeg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I would use either a belt sander with a ceramic belt or a wet stone wheel, that turns slowly.
You can use a bench stone or a diamond stone, it all depends on what you have available to you.
Since I have good equipment and good abrasives I prefer to use them rather than aggravating the arthritis in my hands by using a bench stone.
A bench stone works great if you can hold your angle constant, which is something that only comes usually by years of practice.
Another alternative would be a system like Lansky's or Smith's, both of which keep the angle pretty constant while you sharpen.

Several options are available, your mileage may vary.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks to both you guys. It is nice to be able get good advice.

Harold
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

When I re-profile a blade edge I will at times use a sharpie pen and straight edge or curved template to draw a line across the metal I want to remove. Depending on the blade and what you want to achieve this can be helpful. The sharpie line can be easily erased and redrawn to give you different profiles until you find the result you like best. Use whatever abrasive you have or prefer to remove the unwanted metal.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

" I cannot stand recurve blades "

HARUMPH!!!
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

No curve now. Thanks for the advice. Needs a little more sharpening.

Harold
Attachments
IMG_0428.JPG
eveled

Post by eveled »

07BC1929-A125-4D1A-B8D6-15232B66299F.jpeg
Here is a good picture of a bellied out blade I sharpened out. You can see the two straight sections and the belly in the middle. As you sharpen the bellied out section gets smaller and smaller until it’s gone.

I get a great deal of satisfaction from this process I don’t always do it in one sitting.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”