Remington Scout R3843 Bail Repair

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Dadumpsterdiver

Remington Scout R3843 Bail Repair

Post by Dadumpsterdiver »

Good Afternoon!

I have a Remington R3843 which is in fine condition, save a bail which is completely detached from the knife. If this were a simple straight pinning job, I could handle it, but theses bails are attached with 2 small pins, and I have no experience doing this. So my question is - Is there anyone here who would be willing to help me out with doing a professional job, either for monetary compensation or trade?

Thanks - Bill
ScoutKnives

Re: Remington Scout R3843 Bail Repair

Post by ScoutKnives »

It should be a single pin running threw a brass tube , definitely not a two piece connection at the bail , unless someone previously modified it ?
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Got a picture?
Those are always worth a few hundred words.
Then maybe we can give some advice.

::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I believe the tube is 1/16" an the pin is 1/32".

They are not horribly difficult, I have done a few but the arthritis in m my hands won't allow me to do any knife work at present.

Hardest part is locating the pin and tubing. I have found them in hardware stores in the past.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Dadumpsterdiver

Thanks all - the reason I postulated that it was 2 pins is because I can see no light through the pin hole and there seems to be an obstruction - Possibly the tube is lodged in there? Pictures coming when I am able.

Bill
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep, what is left of the pin may be lodged in the tube.
It does seem unusual that the pin would break on both side and leave a piece in the middle but maybe that is the case.

I'll wait for pics.....
::tu::
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Typical , usually blocked with years of crud or the original pin might be in their still .
I usually drill threw the brass tube to true up the hole for a new pin .

Mike

Dadumpsterdiver wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:27 pm Thanks all - the reason I postulated that it was 2 pins is because I can see no light through the pin hole and there seems to be an obstruction - Possibly the tube is lodged in there? Pictures coming when I am able.

Bill
Dadumpsterdiver

So I was able to get some pictures.
Attachments
20B7EA38-AE6D-4F68-A893-A4536AC370D7.jpeg
E75CFD07-F790-47F7-AF63-9150CA7B3DF4.jpeg
1B354FBE-60B3-4F67-BA43-E437F81EA6E1.jpeg
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

IMO the knife has had a previous repair and the pivot pin replaced . I see a peened over silver pin , it should be a brass Hollow tube pin And the bail pin goes threw that .
Now the replacement silver pin will need to be removed and replaced with the correct parts in order to have a bail . Not a simple fix now .

Mike
Dadumpsterdiver

Thanks, Mike et al. I'm going to see if I can remove what's in there and give it a go myself. :D
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That looks to be a very nice R3843, so not an inexpensive knife. So please be careful and gentle with it! Hate to see such a nice specimen damaged. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:57 pm That looks to be a very nice R3843, so not an inexpensive knife. So please be careful and gentle with it! Hate to see such a nice specimen damaged. ::facepalm::

Ken
VERY TRUE!!

::tu::
just bob

Post by just bob »

This is the common set up on these. I'm sure Kaleb has done hundreds. Drill the old pin out. Then there is a hollow brass tube you can buy at Hobby Lobby that goes in. If you ream the hole with a 3/32" pin reamer the hollow tube goes right in. Then the 1/16" pin stock goes through the hollow tube and you peen a head on each side. You'll have to find you a bail. Isn't this right Kaleb?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

just bob wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:41 pm This is the common set up on these. I'm sure Kaleb has done hundreds. Drill the old pin out. Then there is a hollow brass tube you can buy at Hobby Lobby that goes in. If you ream the hole with a 3/32" pin reamer the hollow tube goes right in. Then the 1/16" pin stock goes through the hollow tube and you peen a head on each side. You'll have to find you a bail. Isn't this right Kaleb?
Yes, most higher end scout knives from the pre WWII era (not exclusively) were assembled like this. I prefer this construction also, makes bail replacement easy and independent from the pivot pin.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Dadumpsterdiver

Thank you Gentlemen for the tips and direction. Fortunately I have the bail. I also have several pairs of hemostats in various sizes, perhaps I can get ahold of the broken pin and pull it out and maybe be able to use the original brass tube. I think I may have just enough of the pin poking out to find purchase. Yes, I know the value of this knife and am determined to have a good job done on it. Now, to find those hemostats......

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”