Pine Knot Knife

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Pine Knot Knife

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I don't know how many of you knife mechanics have seen one of these, I had not before yesterday. We all are familiar with the shell handled knives as produced by Imperial and Colonial, and conventional bolstered knives. However this one is somewhat of a hybrid that uses a different method of construction from those manufacturers. A friend of mine sent me this to see if I could replace a broken spring. The pivot pin on the pen blade was also sheared and gone. When I got to looking at it and cleaned it up a little, I ran a drill bit thru the bolster holes to clean the crud out and uniform the size. When I pulled the spinning bit back out I was surprised to see that one of the bolsters had come off and was spinning around on the drill bit. This knife is tang stamped Pine Knot and has a bird logo along with it. When one takes a magnet to the parts to see what the materials are, the liners are thin steel, the bolsters are aluminum, and there is a reinforcing strip under the celluloid handle material that is steel, as are the pins. Goins states that Pine Knot was Jas. W. Price, Belknap, and the years are 1930-1934.
Basic knife is a 3 3/8" 3 blade.
IMG_3680.JPG
The Pine Knot stamp and celluloid panel handle material
IMG_3681.JPG
The thin steel liner material is crimped over the aluminum bolster, and the reinforcing strip under the bolster.
IMG_3682.JPG
The hollow aluminum bolster
IMG_3683.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Doc B

Re: Pine Knot Knife

Post by Doc B »

Interesting. I haven't seen anything like that.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I can't get a clear picture of the tang stamp but from what I can see of the tang stamp, it doesn't appear to be a genuine Pine Knot. I could be wrong.
Attachments
comp1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

From what I have seen there are more fake Pine Knot knives available than real ones. Pine Knot congress jack (two blades at one end of the knife) just sold on ebay, had nice bone handles, it was also a fake. Congress jacks are very hard to find.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I got this additional shot of the tang stamp. There is no visible script writing below the bird. This is a very cheaply made knife, I have not seen a Pine Knot knife before. Were there originals that were well made? And where were they made, this one has no country of origin stamped on it.
IMG_3685.JPG
just bob

Post by just bob »

“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

*what Jerry said* 💯
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a Pine Knot I bought from Smokey Mountain Knife many years ago. 4" with plastic covers. Makes me think Colonial.

Looks like an entirely different animal.

I'm not a knife mechanic but in my casual observances I have never seen a put together like that. Almost looks expensive.
Attachments
DSCN3736.JPG
DSCN3738.JPG
DSCN3741.JPG
DSCN3743.JPG
DSCN3750.JPG
Joe
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hmmmmm.... very interesting construction technique.
What keeps the bolster cover piece on?
I don't see much advantage in this construction method. Maybe just in the fact that all pieces are thin sheet metal stampings (?).
If you do fix it, would you post a couple more pics of how you put it back together?

::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 am Hmmmmm.... very interesting construction technique.
What keeps the bolster cover piece on?
I don't see much advantage in this construction method. Maybe just in the fact that all pieces are thin sheet metal stampings (?).
If you do fix it, would you post a couple more pics of how you put it back together?

::shrug::
Yes, as I mentioned above, I have never seen a knife constructed in this way. It would be interesting to see who originally held the patent for the construction method, that may indicated who made it. The obvious advantage is it is CHEAP. No nickle silver or brass in this one. The liners are .010" steel, almost like steel foil, so they can be crimped around the aluminum bolster to hold it it place. There is a steel stiffener under the celluloid handles to give it a little more rigidity, the arrow head shape you see under the bolster is the end of it. And then when the steel pivot pins are installed, that is what really holds it together. By using steel pins and aluminum bolsters, the pins would always be visible, even on a new knife. I don't think I am going to waste any time trying to fix it as it is just too cheap of a knife. I was posting it here just to show the construction method and if anyone had ever seen this before. The liners are so thin that when I put it back together with temporary pins, the sides bowed in and the tip of the master blade when swung shut does not fall into its own blade well but into the one adjacent to it. Cheap materials and cheaper labor to make this design.

Note the raised edge of the liner surrounding the bolster, this was crimped around the aluminum bolster.
IMG_3686.JPG
With spring tension on, the sides are bowed so the blade misaligns.
IMG_3687.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I see.... so the raised edge of the liner is what captured the bolster cover thing....
Yep, That is a train wreck.

::facepalm::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”