Schrade 34OT Custom

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Meridian_Mike

Re: Schrade 34OT Custom

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Jeffinn wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:06 pm
I’m just guessing of course but it seems like it would take a lot of use to wear the pivot pin (irregardless of the material used). I’m sure there are lots of opinions to the contrary.
Jeff
Yep.... I would like to hear a few others add some comments about the pivot pins.
I have seen some pictures where the spring wore away a blade at the pivot point. But it seems like maybe the pivot pin itself wouldn't get as much wear as the blade against the pin would have.
Opinions?
::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

As a side note some of the Buck 110’s use brass pivot pins. I have no idea if it’s a different formulation of brass or just the standard stuff but they seem to hold up well.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Brass tends to hold up well when rubbing against steel - the two metals slide a lot without wearing too badly (one reason we use brass for bushings). And I don't know that brass is that much harder than modern Nickel Silver. I may be wrong, but they seem fairly similar to me. I would think that it would work well for normal use.
This is just my opinion - I have no hard facts to back it up. YMMV.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

The only type of pivot I will not accept is a bird's eye rivet. I had an inexpensive Italian made knife that when I was drilling a hole with its punch blade in some pine plywood (feed box lid), the "bird's eye" ring simply popped off.

Swiss Army Knives (both Victorinox and Wenger), for the most part, have used brass almost exclusively. Only some really old Swiss Soldier's Knives (pretty much every model prior to 1961) aren't brass, and their pins are solid steel. I have never seen a damaged pin, even with tools that were obviously abused. I've seen them with snapped awls and badly mangled/twisted drivers (and I did twist the slotted screwdriver on the end of the can opener once--on a screw that was bent), but no damage to the pins the tool rode on. In addition, I have one that is more than sixty years old, and it still works like the day it was made.

The knife looks great! You ditched that superficial spey. I've owned a 34OT for 15 years now; and I've only used the spey when I dulled the other two blades.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Reverand wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:17 am Brass tends to hold up well when rubbing against steel - the two metals slide a lot without wearing too badly (one reason we use brass for bushings). And I don't know that brass is that much harder than modern Nickel Silver. I may be wrong, but they seem fairly similar to me. I would think that it would work well for normal use.
This is just my opinion - I have no hard facts to back it up. YMMV.
Yep... I whole heatedly agree!
One big thing that keeps knife parts from wearing is OIL... Keep it oiled and that should help GREATLY!!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”