Imperial Boy Scout

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Imperial Boy Scout

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I was in the process of dis assembling this Imperial Boy Scout knife to replace a broken blade when I got somewhat of a surprise on how these are constructed. This being an Imperial, I was not thinking about it when I used a utility knife blade to cut the pin to remove the broken blade and when the pin sheared, I realized what was going on. This Imperial is of the Swinden pin construction method. I would not have done it this way if I would have been paying attention. The broken blade was still good and tight with the Swinden pin, so I would have re assembled it back together the same way. Anyway, all is not lost as the thru pin conversion will have to be done now. Could have saved some work though.
IMG_3813.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Imperial Boy Scout

Post by Jeffinn »

I get caught every once in awhile (still) with a knife that turns out to be a Swinden key.
It’s one of those “dangit” moments when you suddenly realize it!
A couple more holes and a few more pins and you’ll be back in business..
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Pretty sure, I would have done the same thing. ::paranoid::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Cokerclan

Post by Cokerclan »

If you are ever looking for parts for older knives like this and of all types, let me know. I have a lot of older knives in various condition laying around. Finding them? That might be a bigger challenge.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Cokerclan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:11 pm If you are ever looking for parts for older knives like this and of all types, let me know. I have a lot of older knives in various condition laying around. Finding them? That might be a bigger challenge.
Actually I am. I need a spring for the master blade on the top pictured Boker 182 Stainless camper. And a master blade on the bottom pictured Boker 7593 camper. Got anything like that?
IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3821.JPG
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

OC, don't feel too bad. I did the same thing a month or so ago on an Ulster scout knife. I had been wanting to try to repair a swinden key knife by repinning and by golly I did it!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Yeah, I have been fooled by that a few times also. I'm confused though, was your intent to replace the broken main blade? If so, you had no choice but to cut the swinden rivet... ::shrug::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

glennbad wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:25 am Yeah, I have been fooled by that a few times also. I'm confused though, was your intent to replace the broken main blade? If so, you had no choice but to cut the swinden rivet... ::shrug::
Had I realized that this Imperial had a Swinden pin, I would not have cut it but would have removed the rocker pin, shifted the two halves slightly, gently spread the end of the knife to allow the head of the Swinden pin to clear and it would have come right apart. I would not have cut the pin on the other end retaining the bail. I have done this before on Old Timers which I knew had a Swinden pin. This one is a little different though because the bail end has a thru pin.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Ahh, now I understand.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”