A Little "TLC" for Brantford Gunstock Jack

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Little "TLC" for Brantford Gunstock Jack

Post by herbva »

Just when I thought I might have heard most of the obscure knife names, this Brantford popped up in an auction lot of 5 oldies that I fortunately won. I was about to start taking it apart when I heard a voice whispering to me to try a little TLC first. So I gave it a good cleaning, removed all the rust I could get at, reprofiled the broken tip, patched the 2 missing bone chunks and did a few other little tricks and, I think I'll leave it alone. The snap came back really good, so the knife must have been happy with the attention I gave it. Goins indicates that Brantford was a trademark used by Butler Brothers from 1910 to 1930, and the blades were etched "Warranted Never Dull". I guess the etch on this one is long gone. The blades were dull anyway. ::ds:: P.S. - I think the scales might be what is referred to as "pick bone". I don't think I'm even going to try to match this jigging in the areas I patched
Attachments
DSCN9758.JPG
DSCN9759.JPG
DSCN9761.JPG
DSCN9762.JPG
DSCN9763.JPG
DSCN9766.JPG
DSCN9767.JPG
DSCN9769.JPG
DSCN9770.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A Little "TLC" for Brantford Gunstock Jack

Post by edge213 »

herbva wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm Just when I thought I might have heard most of the obscure knife names, this Brantford popped up in an auction lot of 5 oldies that I fortunately won. I was about to start taking it apart when I heard a voice whispering to me to try a little TLC first. So I gave it a good cleaning, removed all the rust I could get at, reprofiled the broken tip, patched the 2 missing bone chunks and did a few other little tricks and, I think I'll leave it alone. The snap came back really good, so the knife must have been happy with the attention I gave it. Goins indicates that Brantford was a trademark used by Butler Brothers from 1910 to 1930, and the blades were etched "Warranted Never Dull". I guess the etch on this one is long gone. The blades were dull anyway. ::ds:: P.S. - I think the scales might be what is referred to as "pick bone". I don't think I'm even going to try to match this jigging in the areas I patched
What did you use to patch the handles?
How did you match the color?
I use Acra-Glas, but I have a hard time matching the color.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Nor the same knife!!!! Great job on a great knife. ::nod:: ::nod::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Looks almost like a different knife. Great job fixing it up and returning to service. Good show to see too.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Great Patch ::tu:: ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good job! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Nice save! I gotta try my hand at doing a patch job.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Wow, what a transformation! The after picture simply looks like an honest old knife with wear on the bone. Well done!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

edge213 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:13 pm
herbva wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm Just when I thought I might have heard most of the obscure knife names, this Brantford popped up in an auction lot of 5 oldies that I fortunately won. I was about to start taking it apart when I heard a voice whispering to me to try a little TLC first. So I gave it a good cleaning, removed all the rust I could get at, reprofiled the broken tip, patched the 2 missing bone chunks and did a few other little tricks and, I think I'll leave it alone. The snap came back really good, so the knife must have been happy with the attention I gave it. Goins indicates that Brantford was a trademark used by Butler Brothers from 1910 to 1930, and the blades were etched "Warranted Never Dull". I guess the etch on this one is long gone. The blades were dull anyway. ::ds:: P.S. - I think the scales might be what is referred to as "pick bone". I don't think I'm even going to try to match this jigging in the areas I patched
What did you use to patch the handles?
How did you match the color?
I use Acra-Glas, but I have a hard time matching the color.
I like to use Devcon 2-Ton epoxy for patching. It sets up very slowly and cures rock hard. I mix in only powdered colorant. I have accumulated a variety of these over the years and learned through trial and error how to mix them in the wet epoxy until I have a good match. At first I picked up 3 boxes - red, charcoal and tan at Lowes to start with. These are intended for coloring concrete and will last me a lifetime. Since then I have found a few other colors at online hoppy shops. If you use the Devcon, wait 24 hours until sanding. It is rock hard then and sands just like wood or bone and is easier to get it to blend in. I use masking tape on the edges to form a "dam" like I suspect everyone else does, so that the wet epoxy doesn't run over the edges.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice save on that Brantford. You rarely see Brantford and I don't see too many gunstocks floating around either.
A great combination to have.

Here's a little dogleg I have that I like to carry because it's so well built.
Attachments
DSCN4576.JPG
DSCN4579.JPG
DSCN4586.JPG
DSCN4588.JPG
Joe
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Great job, Herb! ...and that's a nice one, too, Joe!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

That repair is incredible! Impressive work!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

FRJ wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:05 am Nice save on that Brantford. You rarely see Brantford and I don't see too many gunstocks floating around either.
A great combination to have.

Here's a little dogleg I have that I like to carry because it's so well built.
Right you are Joe, this Brantford stockman I have is the only one I have ever seen. They are a very well built knife and this one is my favorite stockman. The gunstock shown in the OP is a real nice one and has got to be a rare bird.
IMG_3163.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

Great job. Thanks for sharing.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:16 pm this Brantford stockman I have is the only one I have ever seen.

That is a beautiful stockman you have there. ::nod::
Joe
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Great save with a artisan's touch ::tu:: ::tu::
David
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

GREAT job on that nice knife!
Beautiful work on the handles and you did a great job of re-profiling the main blade. It looks really nice!
Very nice save!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:49 pm GREAT job on that nice knife!
Beautiful work on the handles and you did a great job of re-profiling the main blade. It looks really nice!
Very nice save!

::tu::
Thanks for the kind words Mike, and everyone else! I really love it when I find a neglected gem like this one, and am able to do something with it. For me, that's one of the things that makes this hobby so addictive! :D

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great restore on an awesome pattern and cool looking old knife, Herb. ::tu:: ::tu:: You made the right call. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Outstanding save Herb! ::tu:: ::tu::
I haven't had much time to be on here lately so I'm catching up on some older post. I started by looking at the pictures and not reading... I thought you put new bone on there! Great job matching the color of the bone! That bone is excellent I wish we could find some like that today! I supposed a guy would have to make it himself.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TPK

Post by TPK »

Wow Herb! :shock: That's an impressive save! ::tu:: Looks awesome now! ::nod::
Congrats on the great workmanship! ::handshake:: I love the end result! ::tu:: :D

Some other great looking knives being posted in this thread as well! ::nod::
Nice show of HOK's everyone! ::handshake:: Enjoying the pictures! :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

orvet wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:40 pm Outstanding save Herb! ::tu:: ::tu::
I haven't had much time to be on here lately so I'm catching up on some older post. I started by looking at the pictures and not reading... I thought you put new bone on there! Great job matching the color of the bone! That bone is excellent I wish we could find some like that today! I supposed a guy would have to make it himself.
Thanks for the kind words Dale. I really wish I could find some of that bone or at least something reasonable close to it. Even though the patchwork came out OK, I know its there and would rather replace the bone on that side.

Herb

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”