NEW SCALES FOR A RUINED CELLULOID KKIFE

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

NEW SCALES FOR A RUINED CELLULOID KKIFE

Post by Ridgegrass »

I have a NOVELTY CUT.CO. knife with outgassed and disintegrated celluloid scales and would like to replace them with something in the style but NOT celluloid. (4-1/2 " closed) . Any suggestions/help welcomed. Thanks, J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1942.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: NEW SCALES FOR A RUINED CELLULOID KKIFE

Post by edge213 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:41 pm I have a NOVELTY CUT.CO. knife with outgassed and disintegrated celluloid scales and would like to replace them with something in the style but NOT celluloid. (4-1/2 " closed) . Any suggestions/help welcomed. Thanks, J.O'.
I have had some replaced with Kirinite.
It comes in many colors.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:41 pm I have a NOVELTY CUT.CO. knife with outgassed and disintegrated celluloid scales and would like to replace them with something in the style but NOT celluloid. (4-1/2 " closed) . Any suggestions/help welcomed. Thanks, J.O'.
I'm not sure what you have in mind, but I would recommend smooth bone. I just used up my supply of mahogany on a knife for 1967redrider, but I have undyed, black (it comes out dark brown), blue, green, sunset (my favorite). I can post pics of some that I have kept if you are interested. I also like micarta, particularly OD green.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Was the knife like this originally, with double portraits? That will be hard to replicate (maybe impossible) with other materials but you could try putting a color picture under clear handle material. Just a thought.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201223-180014.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Are the pictures salvageable? If they are I'd recommend simply using clear or tinted acrylic.

Eric
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Gentlemen, Thanks for the comebacks. The Knife must have been a gift for a trolley conductor or electric motorman. It had pics of trolleys and a bust of a guy in a conductor's uniform . I'm almost positive they're gone. Bone or wood would be easiest but I'd kinda like to "restore" that look. If I try it and botch it I'm sure it'll cost more when some expert gets after it. I even have quite a bit of genuine tortoise I used to make guitar picks with. That would look nice but, as you know, NOVELTY/VIGNOS was known for it's picture handles. Either way it's going to be an "adventure". :roll: Merry Christmas, J.O'.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”