Swan Works

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Swan Works

Post by glennbad »

I guess this is more of a mod than a repair, but the original bone covers were broken, so who knows what to call it.

I have had this little Swan Works barlow for a while. Although it is considered "okay" as far as being a quality brand, this one was pretty decent. It originally had some nice blond sawcut covers, which were unfortunately shattered on the pile side. I had some of this NOS reddish-amber sawcut bone, so I thought it would go well with the knife. Pictured with a normal barlow for size comparisons.
Swan-1.jpg
Swan-2.jpg
Swan-3.jpg
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Swan Works

Post by herbva »

glennbad wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:04 pm I guess this is more of a mod than a repair, but the original bone covers were broken, so who knows what to call it.

I have had this little Swan Works barlow for a while. Although it is considered "okay" as far as being a quality brand, this one was pretty decent. It originally had some nice blond sawcut covers, which were unfortunately shattered on the pile side. I had some of this NOS reddish-amber sawcut bone, so I thought it would go well with the knife. Pictured with a normal barlow for size comparisons.

Swan-1.jpg
Swan-2.jpg
Swan-3.jpg
Very nice work Glenn! I'm not sure I've seen a barlow with a bail before, but I like the looks of it on that knife. From you pic it looks like steel bolsters, so I assume you used a steel pivot pin? ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Glen,

Very attractive knife. I have gotten to love Barlows.

Bob
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

herbva wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:53 pm
glennbad wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:04 pm I guess this is more of a mod than a repair, but the original bone covers were broken, so who knows what to call it.

Swan-1.jpg
Swan-2.jpg
Swan-3.jpg
Very nice work Glenn! I'm not sure I've seen a barlow with a bail before, but I like the looks of it on that knife. From you pic it looks like steel bolsters, so I assume you used a steel pivot pin? ::tu:: ::tu::
Yes, odd to see a bail on those. maybe the size of the knife led to that bail. Yes, steel pin. The bolster hole was huge, I wasn't able to fully spread and blend the pin, so you can see it a bit.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Heck yeah.... That little joker has a NICE profile!

Beautiful job on the restoration Glenn.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great work Glenngood ::tu:: ::tu::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier