Bent Tip

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Mark in PA

Bent Tip

Post by Mark in PA »

What is the best thing to do for a bent tip on a knife blade? I have a Schade 498 that is in real rough shape. Lots of rust. Mildew on the leather handle.
Try to bend it back to straight? Grind it off and form a new tip? Should heat be applied at any process and perhaps rehardened? Just looking to clean it up for a knife to be used. I think its way past being a collectors item.
kootenay joe

Re: Bent Tip

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, post a picture of this blade. I think the answer might depend on how bent the tip is.
kj
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

Pictures as requested.
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

What's really got me worried is the rainbow-colored discoloration towards the back of the blade. That looks like someone really got the blade hot (probably when whoever sharpened it used a bench grinder), and it may have lost the temper.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:12 pm What's really got me worried is the rainbow-colored discoloration towards the back of the blade. That looks like someone really got the blade hot (probably when whoever sharpened it used a bench grinder), and it may have lost the temper.
Could be or it could be patina from what it’s cut. I know some substances will make a rainbow of colors on carbon steel.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I agree with colonel, I think it is the rainbow effect of carbon steel aging. Regarding the bent tip, I would try to hammer it out on an anvil or any steel block and if it snaps just re-grind it down some. Do not use heat, you would have to remove the handle leather to re-heat treat it. The bend is pretty severe so the tip may be a little soft anyways. Tap lightly rather than try to get it straight in one heavy blow. Sometimes it works and sometimes they do snap.
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

Truthfully, I don't have the knife in my hands at this point. I think for some of this, you either need to see the knife in person or have a really good high definition camera. This may end up being nothing but a piece of junk. A paper weight per say but, I'd like to see what I'm able to do with it. I was just looking ahead of time, at what I could do with the bent tip. I might just try and bend it back in place first. If I can't get it to my liking, then maybe I will try and grind it off. Not sure if I want to try and squeeze it back in place with a vice? Use a hammer and anvil? Use a vice and pliers?
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mark in PA wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:46 pm Truthfully, I don't have the knife in my hands at this point. I think for some of this, you either need to see the knife in person or have a really good high definition camera. This may end up being nothing but a piece of junk. A paper weight per say but, I'd like to see what I'm able to do with it. I was just looking ahead of time, at what I could do with the bent tip. I might just try and bend it back in place first. If I can't get it to my liking, then maybe I will try and grind it off. Not sure if I want to try and squeeze it back in place with a vice? Use a hammer and anvil? Use a vice and pliers?

For that knife I like the hammer and anvil approach. I don't think you need to worry about marking up the metal. Then I would put a nice edge on it (not with a grinder :evil: ) and EDC it with pride. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

Thanks Gunsil,

Avoid the heat. Take it slow. Soft taps with hammer on anvil. That's the kind of information I'm looking for. Thanks.
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

I'm wondering if what I thought was mildew is actually white paint? Perhaps the tip got bent trying to pry off a paint lid?
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Make sure to keep the blade tip in contact with hard metal surface you are hammering on. Don't let it bounce as you tap it.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”