Darken the Birds head pommel

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Mark in PA

Darken the Birds head pommel

Post by Mark in PA »

Can anybody advise me how to darken the light metal birds head pommel on the end of the handle? I think the metal is some alloy of aluminum and other light metals. I'm trying to give it an aged look.

I also have a finger guard that I'm trying to darken. It looks like brass but I think its just some sort of plated metal. When I got the knife, I noticed that this piece did not tarnish the way you would expect brass to tarnish. It was still bright and shiny.

Neither piece seems to react to white vinegar.
Mark in PA

Re: Darken the Birds head pommel

Post by Mark in PA »

Wow... I just remembered I had an old bottle of Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black. That did the trick. The pommel took the aluminum black extremely well in one application. The finger guard took two applications to get a complete coating. My knife is starting to get a aged look to it and I'm pleased. Maybe I'll have to post pictures when I have time.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mark in PA wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 pm Wow... I just remembered I had an old bottle of Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black. That did the trick. The pommel took the aluminum black extremely well in one application. The finger guard took two applications to get a complete coating. My knife is starting to get a aged look to it and I'm pleased. Maybe I'll have to post pictures when I have time.
I didn't have an answer for you. I'm glad you figured it out.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Never knew they made such a thing, good to know and thanks. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

Yep, they also have a product called Brass Black. I think I'm going to restock on both. My own experience with the Aluminum Black is that you never know for sure what it will take to. Must have something to do with the alloy of the metal. On the pommel, I couldn't have asked for anything better. However, I have tried it on fine scratches and scuff marks on rifle scopes and it didn't do a thing. The best thing I have found to use on rifle scopes is a fine tip black Sharpie permanent marker and then smear the excess off before it dries.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”