Patterns to Start With?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
cody6268

Patterns to Start With?

Post by cody6268 »

Any idea on what patterns I should start with trying to learn how to fix? I have two Peanuts right now, that only need a medium amount of work to become fully functional (one, a Standard Knife Co. just needs a rehandle; the other a Kutmaster needs the broken pen blade and accompanying backspring removed and a rehandle) But, I'm currently kinda thinking a tiny Peanut is easy to mess up, so I should try a larger pattern first before I get the hang of it. I was looking at some of my assorted "Hot mess" knives and found two Delrin handle Boker electrician's knives that are USA/Germany hybrids that someone had a good idea, but not good enough workmanship to try to reprofile the screwdriver blades to fit a #2 Phillips. That modification doesn't work, and since (unlike the true USA 9229 Electrician) these have the nail nicks near the tip) as opposed to the middle of the blade, a Wharncliffe mod can't be done, so these will become one-blade Jacks.

For learning rehandling and a little pinning, I've been thinking about buying up a bunch of Green River blades and assorted handle materials I've wanted to use and just experiment, later moving onto kit knives when I feel confident enough with these fixed blades.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Patterns to Start With?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

When I started, I bought a bunch of 50 cent and dollar knives, jacks and pens mostly at the flea market to practice on. Rehandle with woods is a good place to start also, especially if you have a lot of different woods on hand as I did. Jacks and single blades are easiest as there is only one pivot end. I had the book by Adrian Harris to learn from mostly and practice on some junkers. I think you have the idea though, just have at it and practice.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I started rehandling with wood at first, and I do recommend it for practice. It is easy to work with and inexpensive. Buy a few lots of cheap junkers on ebay and watch some of the great videos we have here. Also, don't be shy about asking questions. As you move on, if you decide you want to get into it, make sure you have the necessary tools. Beware, it is addictive once you get rolling!
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Sorry, I see that I forgot to answer your basic question. I found that the electricians and Camillus 23's were the simplest, most basic knives to start with and I found that I had more success with larger folding knives like these at first.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

One that I bought early on for a dollar junker to practice on was this Mfrs Union Cutlery 8 blade Congress from 1888 with Mother of Pearl. 4 of the 8 blades are broken. I would not recommend one like this to practice on, I still have not done anything with it. Keep it simple is best until you get the hang of it.
IMG_4307.JPG
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:10 am One that I bought early on for a dollar junker to practice on was this Mfrs Union Cutlery 8 blade Congress from 1888 with Mother of Pearl. 4 of the 8 blades are broken. I would not recommend one like this to practice on, I still have not done anything with it. Keep it simple is best until you get the hang of it.

IMG_4307.JPG
That is a nice one! I have a four-bladed Wostenholm that's around the same age with one broken blade (presumed to be a nail file) and a chipped tortoiseshell handle (about 1/4 is missing from one scale). I haven't touched it at all. It's also one of a very few I have in a display case. It's also special in that it is the oldest folding knife I have. The tang stamp lacks "ENGLAND" which means it's a pre-1891 knife.

How many backsprings does it have?
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

herbva wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:05 am Sorry, I see that I forgot to answer your basic question. I found that the electricians and Camillus 23's were the simplest, most basic knives to start with and I found that I had more success with larger folding knives like these at first.
And it helps in that I have about a dozen different electrician's knives (all but one solid-bolster) that I can mess with. Most of these are not rare, and not minty. There's a Camillus stainless electrician in my work knife rotation that has a badly acid-burned/melted rear handle but is otherwise like new.

I've really been itching to pick up a handful of 23s as well. I plan to have three. One stock. One rehandled; one rehandled and just the big blade.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Camillus TL-29's, as others mentioned. Single blade knives, so that you don't have to deal with compressing multiple blades.

Also, try a simple 2 to 1 blade conversion, with keeping the same handle material.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

cody6268 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:41 am
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:10 am One that I bought early on for a dollar junker to practice on was this Mfrs Union Cutlery 8 blade Congress from 1888 with Mother of Pearl. 4 of the 8 blades are broken. I would not recommend one like this to practice on, I still have not done anything with it. Keep it simple is best until you get the hang of it.

IMG_4307.JPG
That is a nice one! I have a four-bladed Wostenholm that's around the same age with one broken blade (presumed to be a nail file) and a chipped tortoiseshell handle (about 1/4 is missing from one scale). I haven't touched it at all. It's also one of a very few I have in a display case. It's also special in that it is the oldest folding knife I have. The tang stamp lacks "ENGLAND" which means it's a pre-1891 knife.

How many backsprings does it have?
It has 4 backsprings.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Yep, Electrician's knives are great to start with, as well as the peanuts. Those are all good choices!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”