Camillus 35 Rescue

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Camillus 35 Rescue

Post by herbva »

I almost didn't bid on this one because the celluloid outgassing storm that was going on looked so bad, but I had to find out what was under all that mess. I've worked on a lot of these with outgassing cell, and I find that sometimes they turn out better that they appear and sometimes worse. Anyway, for $6.50 I didn't have much to lose. The first 3 are before I got started and the last 3 are after. I have a bunch of odd colored smooth bone slabs that I got from a seller who acquired part of the leftover inventory when Queen City closed, and wanted to try out the light brown (carmel?) ones this knife is now dressed in. As you can see, I couldn't quite get all the pitting out, but I think this one will make a nice addition to the EDC rotation. (I tried to reuse the shield, but it really was toast.) Now, if I can just get used to that light brown color....
Attachments
DSCN0013.JPG
DSCN0014.JPG
DSCN0015.JPG
DSCN9148.JPG
DSCN9149.JPG
DSCN9157.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
cody6268

Re: Camillus 35 Rescue

Post by cody6268 »

I almost bought it, thinking it could get rehandled, but then again; I don't know what I'm doing, and to have someone do it would probably be expensive.

Great save! This seller had a decent Camillus carbon steel Stockman that went cheap--I forgot to bid...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I like the light brown color. Has a honey brown look to it. Great save. ::nod:: ::nod::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Herb, that’s fantastic! You did a great job, and I agree that it’ll make a great edc.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I like the light color of those scales.
Good job!

Bob
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I bid on that one, but didn't want it badly enough. I have enough knives to repair right now anyway, and no time to work on them.
I love the look of that bone! After a little time in your pocket, I'll bet you will like it even more!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

That cleaned up nicely, well done ! ::tu::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Beautiful save herb...

Yes sir! I like the color of those covers.
That was a very worthy knife for a restore job!

Great work!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

herbva wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:43 pm I almost didn't bid on this one because the celluloid outgassing storm that was going on looked so bad, but I had to find out what was under all that mess. I've worked on a lot of these with outgassing cell, and I find that sometimes they turn out better that they appear and sometimes worse. Anyway, for $6.50 I didn't have much to lose. The first 3 are before I got started and the last 3 are after. I have a bunch of odd colored smooth bone slabs that I got from a seller who acquired part of the leftover inventory when Queen City closed, and wanted to try out the light brown (carmel?) ones this knife is now dressed in. As you can see, I couldn't quite get all the pitting out, but I think this one will make a nice addition to the EDC rotation. (I tried to reuse the shield, but it really was toast.) Now, if I can just get used to that light brown color....
Great job, excellent save. Is that carbon steel? wonder how celluloid will do with stainless? No matter, the bone saves it too, no more gas. Great looking piece, great work. Love seeing stuff repurposed, re-used, recycled back into beneficial stuff. You did that well.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
jtb

Post by jtb »

Nice. A labor of love for sure.
Checks out my items for sale https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jtb

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”