types and size of pin material

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
buddyie22

types and size of pin material

Post by buddyie22 »

Want to do a little of repair on pocket knives. Trying to get a start on pins to have on hand , would like to know the most popular sizes and what type of metal is used for most boisters, and the best dealer price and quality. Thanks in advance for the help.
Honey do you have your pocket knife ? Do I have my pants on?
Meridian_Mike

Re: types and size of pin material

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Pins in covers (usually brass)and rocker or pivot pins (steel or nickel silver) come in all sizes. You can buy larger pins and then sand them down to size by chucking them up in a drill press and sanding them down to the proper size.
Jantz Supply is a really good supplier and has all sizes imaginable of pin stock.

https://knifemaking.com/collections/kni ... and-metals

Most bolsters are nickel silver. So, nickel silver pins will be the material to match the bolster after finishing.

Get a knife and get started. There is a crew of sure 'nuff craftsmen that hang out here and they are always glad to share or help.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

Thanks for the quick Reply Mike. I'm sure I'll be back when I get into trouble. Thanks again
Honey do you have your pocket knife ? Do I have my pants on?
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you look at some of the "Knife Related Tutorials" section of the Repair and Restoration forum. viewforum.php?f=38

I do a fair amount of knife work, so I buy the full length rods to use for pinning. As Mike explained, there are a variety of sizes and most of the folding knife work you might be doing will require NS (nickel silver) for pivot pins, because most bolsters are NS, and NS or brass for scale (cover or handle) pins. When I encounter steel or cast iron bolsters on older knives, I can usually find steel finishing nails in the right size and they work quite well on the steel or iron bolsters. I buy mostly from Jantz or Texas Knifemaker Supply or USA knifemaker and usually stock up when they are having a sale.

Beware, once you get started this hobby can be quite addicting! :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”