Boker 182

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Boker 182

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I just finished up this Boker 182 camper style knife which I had picked awhile back for cheap as it had a broken spring. As you can see it is of the lobster design, having blades that work against both sides of the same spring. This is somewhat different than normal slipjoints in that the holes in the springs are slotted and instead of the rocker pin being pinned tight, this one has to have room for the spring to move back and forth in the slot. So when pinning the rocker pin a slacker must be inserted first. Since one spring was still good, it is a simple matter to lay it on the 1075 spring stock and duplicate it as close as possible. I made the slotted hole first and then scribed the original and cut it out. It was heat treated and re assembled and everything seems to work fine. It is a nice old knife and ready for EDC now.
IMG_4351.JPG
IMG_4353.JPG
IMG_4354.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4365.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Boker 182

Post by doglegg »

OC you are a true knife mechanic. Great job and explanation. ::tu:: ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Nice save, especially with the custom spring. I encountered those slotted ones on a Weidmanshell that I did.
Suredan

Post by Suredan »

Nice! One of my favorite EDC. Do any of you 182 aficionados know when Boker changed the can opener from the old style to the current style?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Suredan wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:34 pm Nice! One of my favorite EDC. Do any of you 182 aficionados know when Boker changed the can opener from the old style to the current style?
It is one of my favorite EDCs also. I have one of the carbon steel identical models also which is a 7593. My 7593 has the same can opener as the 182 does. Don't know when it was changed.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

VERY nice!

First class restore!

Excellent work on the new spring!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”