Help with a restoration

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Meandmy1963

Help with a restoration

Post by Meandmy1963 »

So this is my first post here. Also this is my first actual restoration. Anyways, I found this old fixed blade, looks like a skinner. It's well made with a nicely made hilt and pommel. So I knew it was a decent knife at one point. The problem being the blade is rusted and the makers mark is not legible. I tried many things to get the rust off unsuccessfully. Finally as a last resort I soaked the knife in vinegar overnight. Anyone who knows what that does to a carbon blade, knows what happened. After the soak I was able to scrub off the rust and was left with a Patina and some putting that was likely made from the rust and possibly some of it was from the "forced patina" from the vinegar. My question to you all is should I sand the blade down back to a "shiny" polish? Or should I leave the Patina along with the pitting? I know a Patina is loved by many and I admit it does look great with the knife. By the way, after I was able to get the rust off I can read the makers mark. The knife is an old Jean Case Cut Co with an Amber colored bakelite handle made in the 30s or maybe early 40s (the knife likely has some value to collectors). Cool knife. I like the look of the Patina but I'm not sure about the pitting
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xVE74nxBPUwtMmLE9
cudgee

Re: Help with a restoration

Post by cudgee »

Just leave it, if worried about the pitting getting worse, a light coat of oil will stop that. Welcome to the forum. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Meandmy1963

Post by Meandmy1963 »

Ya I think I've decided to leave it. If I grid it down, it's gonna be too thin. It looks good like this. Boy that edge needs some work. Gonna be huddled over a stone for a while I think haha
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Meandmy1963 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:14 am Ya I think I've decided to leave it. If I grid it down, it's gonna be too thin. It looks good like this. Boy that edge needs some work. Gonna be huddled over a stone for a while I think haha
::tu:: Just take your my friend, there is no rush. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :)
Meandmy1963

Post by Meandmy1963 »

cudgee wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:45 am
Meandmy1963 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:14 am Ya I think I've decided to leave it. If I grid it down, it's gonna be too thin. It looks good like this. Boy that edge needs some work. Gonna be huddled over a stone for a while I think haha
The best edges are usually a slow grind 😉 pun intended 🤣
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Meandmy1963 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:50 am
cudgee wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:45 am
The best edges are usually a slow grind 😉 pun intended 🤣
::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::rotflol:: ::welcome::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. I think you’ve made a wise choice to leave it as-is. I’m one who thinks an old used knife should look like, well, an old used knife. ::nod:: Too many, especially those new to the knife collecting hobby, think that making them shiny like new will make them more valuable. It won’t. Any experienced collector will know it’s not new.

Get the active rust off, and keep it off so it can’t do any more damage. Enjoy it. BTW most if not all the ones stamped Jean Case were made by Kinfolks. There are some fixed blade collectors here that can tell you more.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Looks like you did everything right so far. Pitting would bother
me too but there is nothing you can do. If you attempt to
grind away the pits the blades would be so thin you would
hate it. Just accept that the old knife has good character.
A patina will help prevent further damage.

Welcome to AAPK.

Bob
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Welcome to the forum!!

Enjoy that knife!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”