can you safely use epoxy to fill a chip in celluloid scale?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
bjh

can you safely use epoxy to fill a chip in celluloid scale?

Post by bjh »

has anyone used epoxy to fill a chip in a celluloid handle? the celluloid is in perfect shape except for a chip at the corner of a top bolster. I don't want to apply something that will damage the celluloid .
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: can you safely use epoxy to fill a chip in celluloid scale?

Post by herbva »

I use it all the time to fill in missing chips. The epoxy won't damage the celluloid, but when you are sanding the hardened epoxy down to match in with the surrounding area, you have to be extra careful not to sand the celluloid. Unlike bone, celluloid (or any other soft plastic or composite) will be quickly damaged if it gets hit with the sandpaper. Of course you have to do the same prep work you would do when patching any other material, and get the metal surface underneath super clean and shiny.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: can you safely use epoxy to fill a chip in celluloid scale?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

herbva wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:15 am I use it all the time to fill in missing chips. The epoxy won't damage the celluloid, but when you are sanding the hardened epoxy down to match in with the surrounding area, you have to be extra careful not to sand the celluloid. Unlike bone, celluloid (or any other soft plastic or composite) will be quickly damaged if it gets hit with the sandpaper. Of course you have to do the same prep work you would do when patching any other material, and get the metal surface underneath super clean and shiny.
And be sure to degrease thoroughly. I normally use acetone to degrease, but I wouldnt use acetone on celluloid. Maybe just plain rubbing alcohol. It also helps to use a Dremel tool and drill a couple of tiny holes at an angle in the repair area for the new material to flow into and anchor it.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”