Waterfall handle material

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Waterfall handle material

Post by stockman »

Is old Waterfall type material available? Harold
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Waterfall handle material

Post by 1967redrider »

That is a good question, I wonder if anyone does a Corelon (or something stable) Waterfall? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Robo

Post by Robo »

I dream of the day I find a bunch of stable celluloid on the Bay--that would be AWESOME! I actually bought a bunch of old handle material a while back, but it ended up being mostly ebony, some uninteresting bone--but there was a couple pieces of "ivory" celluloid, which I like and plan on using for a rehandle. Good luck--hope you find your waterfall.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

The only "waterfall" pattern material I am aware of is celluloid, which, as we all know all too well, is basically unstable. I haven't tried this raffir yet, but it looks pretty interesting. Any experience with it? https://www.masecraftsupply.com/Raffir- ... c_325.html
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That does look unique, but what really interested me is their faux ivory. That stuff looks great! Thanks for posting the link.
Now, back to the OP, I do not know of any stable substitute for waterfall handle material. Some of the acrylic handle materials have a 3D look to them, but usually in big "waves" and patterns, not the microscopic waves that gave waterfall celluloid it's beauty.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

I happen to have some vintage waterfall celluloid I might part with.
KNFCOLLECTOR
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

The knife is WR CASE/& SONS/ Bradford Pa 3 5/8" Pattern number B232. Would you PM a picture and price. This knife is not gasing but has shrinking.

Harold
Attachments
Image (34).jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I am wondering about "antique pearl" Kirinite.

I became aware of it when I had a couple cell handles go bad, and since one of them was pretty old, I wanted it to be historically accurate.

https://kirinite.com/collections/pearl- ... ique-pearl
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks Cody, I looked at this knife today and it is gasing, was not last time I looked. I need to do something!

Harold
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

knfcollector wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:16 am I happen to have some vintage waterfall celluloid I might part with.
PM sent
celluloidheros

Post by celluloidheros »

Here are some waterfall handles

Knife005.jpg
Knife006.jpg
Thanks, DC
celluloidheros

Post by celluloidheros »

Robo wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:29 pm I dream of the day I find a bunch of stable celluloid on the Bay--that would be AWESOME! I actually bought a bunch of old handle material a while back, but it ended up being mostly ebony, some uninteresting bone--but there was a couple pieces of "ivory" celluloid, which I like and plan on using for a rehandle. Good luck--hope you find your waterfall.
There was quite a bit of celluloid available back in the late 1980's and 1990's. the thing you need to be aware is that 90% of all celluloid is going. there is about 10% that seems to be stable. Age is only one factor but i have seen brand new celluloid that was degrading and also 100 year old that was not. I have been studying celluloid for quite a few years now. \

The celluloid available was Xmas tree, candy stripe, tortoise shell, waterfall. I did not see as much glitter stripe or gold stone available from Masecraft. If you look at the sheet and they are curling then you know the material is shrinking and could be going. It will start to tarnish the shields or other metal in close proximity.
Thanks, DC

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”