A Schrade kind of day

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

A Schrade kind of day

Post by Reverand »

I spent a few hours in the Knife Shop this morning - for the first time in many, many months. I spent the first two hours just cleaning and organizing, then got to work on a couple of Schrade knives.

I forgot to get a "before" pic on this Uncle Henry, but you can see the original worn-out Main blade down below.
I counter-sunk my pivot holes slightly too much, and my pin would not disappear. I left the Swinden rivet on the other end.
3607DB49-494B-4C9F-A50F-3BC45ECB2ADB.jpeg
Finished, on the hammer
Finished, on the hammer
I started on an Old Timer 340T, one of the worst that I have ever seen. I did not get finished with it before I had to stop for the day, but you can expect pictures in the upcoming weeks. The handles would have been good, had I cleaned them, but I get bored with brown sawcut delrin, so I am trying out some red Aberdeen bone. I did not have all of the correct blades in my stash of new Schrade parts, so it will be a Franenknife. Someone had pinned the Main with a nail, and Had made a large hole. I had to drill everything on that end for 1/8".
Still, I am hopeful that this one turns out well!
FF1E1311-D850-4BCB-9774-710A04308D47.jpeg
Parts laid out, with blades
Parts laid out, with blades
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cody6268

Re: A Schrade kind of day

Post by cody6268 »

Nice work!

I have the Stockman on that same Uncle Henry frame, and it disappears in a pocket, yet still gets the job done.

And I thought the 34OT I now use as a toolbox knife looked bad. That knife had a broken main and was already in pretty poor condition. Had obviously been lost and found, as it was heavily rusted. Cleaned it up, and my Granddad took ownership of it once I was done. He lost it, and it was missing for a number of months before it unburied itself in the grass where most people get out of the car next to the house. I cleaned the rust off (again) and it then became my toolbox knife once Granddad got another knife. What saved it from being completely ruined was that all the blades had turned black after cleaning off the previous rust, and thus had a thick patina on them.

Can't wait to see how that one turns out. It has to be the most worn-out, nasty-looking 34OT I've seen in my history of collecting Schrades.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice job on the Uncle Henry!

I can't wait to see how the finished Old Timer turns out.

Both of those types of Schrades (UH and OT) are my favorites for collecting.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I got home early from work and finished 'er up!
Every knife mechanic says that we learn a little bit more from each knife, and that was certainly true here. I learned that I should have just replaced the Main and then left off the two smaller blades. Since they were not the exact blades for this frame, the fit is off and there is some blade rub that I cannot fix. Heck, the blade that sits behind the main is not even a Schrade blade!
This was the first shield that I have inlaid, and though it is a bit crooked I am still proud of how it looks.
Before
Before
After!
After!
Main
Main
Pile side
Pile side
Shield
Shield
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Looks good Reverend.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

She's real purty now, great job!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very nice Reverand!

The pins are NICELY done... Do you have a spinner?

That right there is the kind of restoration I enjoy
GREAT job!

Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:36 pm Very nice Reverand!

The pins are NICELY done... Do you have a spinner?

That right there is the kind of restoration I enjoy
GREAT job!

I have a set that was thoughtfully given to me by Jeffinn. I have tried it a few times with varying success, but I don't really like using it. It seems like it was designed foe larger pin stock, or something. Instead, I have followed his and other's advice and begun working on my peening skills.
Thank you for the compliment though!
I just got a new 1x30 sander (Harbor Freight) and I enjoy using it, but I did make some permanent marks on the knife by getting against the edge of the belt at the wrong angle.
Now, I have to brush up on my sanding skills!
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW.... those pins look REALLY nice!

I always have a problem with the pin "heads" that are down inside the craters in the "jig" patterns.
Great job on getting those pins so nicely done!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”