1940t find today

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

1940t find today

Post by C-WADE7 »

Got a 1940t with a arc blasted tip today for $5. A little blade grinding to profile it and a new edge, along with a light clean up and it will make a nice piece for the daily rotation.
Attachments
7B682182-15AB-4DF9-8FC3-8693AF52A1C1.jpeg
24D715CE-CFD8-423D-B9DF-7F526DDF77B5.jpeg
9F8921D8-7F91-4444-BA29-5C5DBFF52D48.jpeg
6B7A8DF6-CBE7-4081-B8C1-AFE6A6C87E9A.jpeg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 1940t find today

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice job. 😉👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice job profiling that blade. It looks REALLY good.

That will be a nice toter!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Nice save!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Nice profiling work on the blade!
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:50 pm Nice job profiling that blade. It looks REALLY good.

That will be a nice toter!

Thanks guys. A friend from work and I are into knives and through trial and error figured out to re-profile from the cutting edge if possible. Seems natural to take the spine side down but you lose length and get peek from the tip sometimes. Now I want to try some of Jeff’s magic and rescale it later.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

C-WADE7 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:38 pm
Thanks guys. A friend from work and I are into knives and through trial and error figured out to re-profile from the cutting edge if possible. Seems natural to take the spine side down but you lose length and get peek from the tip sometimes. Now I want to try some of Jeff’s magic and rescale it later.
Every knife and every blade is different.
Sometimes you want to take down the top and bottom for the profile to look right. And yes, you need to make sure the tip doesn't stick up above the liners.
That type of blade is so thin in profile, that you don't want to do a lot to the spine.

Once again.... great job.... and good luck with replacing the covers.
It can be done without taking the knife apart.... BUT, it is best to disassemble the knife first.
With bolsters at both ends... a lot of fitting is required for the result to look nice..... ( no gaps)

Good luck!

"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I don't want to sound nitpicky, but the knife you are showing is actually a 194 OT, that is pronounced 194 Oh Tee. The Old Timer knives had numbers and then the letters OT at the end. I got a thorough chewing out by a collector one time early on in knife collecting for pronouncing it as 1940 Tee. I can still see the irate look on his face as he lit into me for making that mistake. lol Your project turned out to be a nice EDC.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

You did a good job profiling that blade. I often try to take off about half from the blade edge, and half from the spine. But as Meridian Mike said, each blade may need a slightly different plan, according to the shape.
The way you reprofiled this blade was exactly right for it, as it preserved much of the original blade shape. It looks natural, and it would take a careful eye to notice that anything had been done to the knife.
I like it!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”