Cattaraugus cigar pen

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Cattaraugus cigar pen

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I got this Cattaraugus 22949 cigar pen back together after unsuccessfully looking for a replacement for the broken pen blade. After digging thru my box of parts knives, I found a broken blade that was larger than what I needed, so I just went with that and ground the blade to the size I needed. The tough part was the blade was much thicker than needed, so a great deal of time was spent reducing the broken blade from .116" thick down to .075" thick as it is a single spring knife with a catchbit on the smaller pen end. Flat grinding it on the side of the grinding wheel eventually got the job done. Real nice bone on this old girl, even though it has some cracks in it. Large 4 1/4" cigars are one of my favorite patterns.
IMG_4502.JPG
IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4515.JPG
IMG_4516.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cattaraugus cigar pen

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool, OC. ::tu::

Just a greenhorn question- could you have removed the catchbit and not had to thin the blade? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

WOW!
That was a lot of work but you got a new carry knife.
Joe
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Nice work OC! I think I will start saving those broken blades from now on to use for making replacement pen blades. John, good question. I think the catchbit also spaces the pen blade over to one side of the knife so the blades don't hit each other when closing. But a lot of blades are made for single spring knives so that each blade is skewed over to one side so that they don't hit each other.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 pm Very cool, OC. ::tu::

Just a greenhorn question- could you have removed the catchbit and not had to thin the blade? ::shrug::
In a word, no. On a single spring knife as this where the master blade runs the full length, a catchbit and a thinner secondary blade are a necessity. Note on the photo below, the master blade is crinked towards the mark side, and the catchbit is at the lower left with the pen blade along side. If I would have put the pen blade in without thinning it and using the original catchbit, there would be nowhere for the master blade to go when folding it in. Hope this explains it adequately.
IMG_4517.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

herbva wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:54 pm Nice work OC! I think I will start saving those broken blades from now on to use for making replacement pen blades. John, good question. I think the catchbit also spaces the pen blade over to one side of the knife so the blades don't hit each other when closing. But a lot of blades are made for single spring knives so that each blade is skewed over to one side so that they don't hit each other.
I was surprised that the tang matched up so well. That is why I ended up going that route.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:04 pm
1967redrider wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 pm Very cool, OC. ::tu::

In a word, no. On a single spring knife as this where the master blade runs the full length, a catchbit and a thinner secondary blade are a necessity. Note on the photo below, the master blade is crinked towards the mark side, and the catchbit is at the lower left with the pen blade along side. If I would have put the pen blade in without thinning it and using the original catchbit, there would be nowhere for the master blade to go when folding it in. Hope this explains it adequately.

IMG_4517.JPG

::handshake::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

herbva wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:54 pm Nice work OC! I think I will start saving those broken blades from now on to use for making replacement pen blades. John, good question. I think the catchbit also spaces the pen blade over to one side of the knife so the blades don't hit each other when closing. But a lot of blades are made for single spring knives so that each blade is skewed over to one side so that they don't hit each other.

::handshake::

Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Great job, OC!
I have done something similar a time or two, but my beginning blade was a bit smaller before I started.
...and, my result was not quite as successful as yours.
I admire how you repair these broken beauties!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice job OC...

That was good thinking to use the old broken blade!
The finish on both blades look so similar that you would never suspect that the secondary blade is not original.

VERY good work!!! I know you are proud of how it turned out!!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OC I enjoy your creative repairs. You do great work. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”