Resurrection from parts

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Absinthe

Resurrection from parts

Post by Absinthe »

There is a particular bunch of queens I would love to get my hands on, as users, not wall hangers. Those being the Oar Carvers, and the Little Chipper. It would appear I can get most of the Wharncliffe blades, and I can also finally get the chip carving blade. What I am not certain about is whether I can get appropriate set of Liner/Bolster/Spring combinations to do the job. I am looking for a functional knife in the end, it doesn't have to match any specific model Oar Carver.

I figure I can either look for specific model referenced parts (But I would have to know if they would fit the blades.)
Or buy "parts" knifes and replace the blades with the blades of my choosing.

Am I correct in assuming the blades and springs (other than lock back blades) are all generally interchangeable? So for example if I got a canoe, or split back whittler, or a stockman, I could disassemble and reassemble with a long Wharncliff where it had a spear or clip point? Or do these models have different thicknesses to deal with, or different lengths on the springs relative to the mount position of the blade... stuff like that?

I know that the Little Chipper was build on the "Slimline frame" so could I simply find a "Trapper" or similar model?

Is there a reference on the different models?
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Resurrection from parts

Post by C-WADE7 »

The oar is on a canoe frame or what appears to be a trapper style frame. I made one with a case mini trapper frame and chip carver blade. eBay has the chip blade and Warncliff, but it’s the big Warncliff not the smaller one that some of them had.
Attachments
Case mini trapper and new palm wood covers.
Case mini trapper and new palm wood covers.
0AD2AFEF-F86D-45A8-8854-3C361FC2D6CB.jpeg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Springs are rarely interchangeable between models.
The blades are a little more likely to match, but they can differ in thickness and tang shape. You can get lucky, but it is not guaranteed.
When I replaced the blades in my Tip Top Camillus Barlow, I used blades from a Camillus 4-line Jack knife. The tang stamps looked identical, so they were made during a similar time frame.
Everything was different. Blade thickness, and the design of the tang, even the shape of the kick. I was able to make them work, but it took a good bit of working with them.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Reverand wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:44 am Springs are rarely interchangeable between models.
The blades are a little more likely to match, but they can differ in thickness and tang shape. You can get lucky, but it is not guaranteed.
When I replaced the blades in my Tip Top Camillus Barlow, I used blades from a Camillus 4-line Jack knife. The tang stamps looked identical, so they were made during a similar time frame.
Everything was different. Blade thickness, and the design of the tang, even the shape of the kick. I was able to make them work, but it took a good bit of working with them.
This has been my experience as well. Even when replacing one blade with a known factory replacement blade there can be "adjustments" that need to be made.
If you enjoy the challenge then its all good!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

So, I've kind of put my hand to this task. Unfortunately, after this one, I thought I had access to the same serpentine jack, but what I got was merely serpentine. The ones I have tried with those are coming out with very proud springs, and blade backs. So that is leaving me with some less than ideal results. I can thin the back of the spring, or I guess I could have shortened the tang somewhat. But, in the end, I will try my hand at making my own liner/bolsters and use these with some other blades that have a narrower tang.

I imagine that I could get a RR or Frost or other Chinese made knife, but I can't imagine cutting up a $60 Case XX knife for such a project :) But yours looks awesome. I am still learning and my peening skills leave a little to be desired at present. But I am getting there. I was told that my choice of cedar for scales was a poor choice. I am not convinced, but since I have to take it apart to clean up the crap job I did peening the scales on the inside of the liner, I will find out how bad a choice it was :)
Attachments
h.jpg
o.jpg
c.jpg
s4.jpeg
s4.jpeg (11.14 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
s3.jpeg
s3.jpeg (11.31 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
s2.jpeg
s2.jpeg (10.76 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
s1.jpeg
s1.jpeg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::nod::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

The first knife that I ever rehandled was done in cedar, and it has held up fine. Cedar is a very soft wood, and most people assume that a much harder wood is needed for pocket knife handles.
The only downside that I can see in using the cedar is that the softer wood can deform more easily if dropped or misused, but I have had no problems.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Looks good. The Case I used was in bad shape and found under the seat of a used car, so I had nothing to loose. The best part was the blade worked perfect in the mini trapper frame.
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

Reverand wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:24 am The first knife that I ever rehandled was done in cedar, and it has held up fine. Cedar is a very soft wood, and most people assume that a much harder wood is needed for pocket knife handles.
The only downside that I can see in using the cedar is that the softer wood can deform more easily if dropped or misused, but I have had no problems.
This is some highly compressed grain cedar. It is about as dense as cedar can get. But I get it about soft woods. But we will see what happens when I try to take it apart :)
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

C-WADE7 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:31 am Looks good. The Case I used was in bad shape and found under the seat of a used car, so I had nothing to loose. The best part was the blade worked perfect in the mini trapper frame.
When I "find" knives they tend to be in used up shape, and made in Pakistan. I have never found a "case". My SiL just found a brand new Buck with the leather case on a walk with my grandson. If a sales person handed you one out of the display it wouldn't have looked any different. Me, I find trash. :)

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”