Odd Schrade 34OT

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Nev52

Odd Schrade 34OT

Post by Nev52 »

I wanted to see if anyone has ever seen this on a Schrade knife. I picked up a box of used Schrade knives for repair. In the box was 4 schrade 34OT knives I thought the pen blade was broken off deep in the rear bolster but when I took it apart I found a retainer to hold the double end spring not a butt spring like on a 33ot. It has to be original factory because it has the swindle key on both bolsters. So this knife has a sheep’s foot and clip blade. And the clip is marked 34ot not 33ot.Another thing I found different is the scale and handle is not cut down for your finger like on a 33ot it is the same height like a 34ot. Just wanted to share and see if anyone has run into this before. Maybe a Schrade collector will know the answer. I will post in the Schrade forum also.
34ot parts.jpg
34ot tail spring.jpg
34ot tang.jpg
34ot.jpg
Nev
ea42

Re: Odd Schrade 34OT

Post by ea42 »

That's a 34OT with a broken blade that someone ground down so that it would be even with the end of the knife and not get in the way. Basically just a blade tang. Definitely wasn't put in the knife like that.

I posted that reply on your other post too.

Eric
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

ea42 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:29 pm That's a 34OT with a broken blade that someone ground down so that it would be even with the end of the knife and not get in the way. Basically just a blade tang. Definitely wasn't put in the knife like that.

I posted that reply on your other post too.

Eric
Thanks Eric,
You are correct. Who ever did it had to disassemble the knife to grind it way low in the bolster it looked just like a butt spring from the top. Actually the knife worked good with great snap!! Pretty ingenious repair.

Nev
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I did the same thing to an old Western a year or two ago. You can do it without disassembling the knife. I just used a screwdriver to flip the broken blade into the "open" position, then ground the broken stub off even with the bolster. If the knife is disassembled, the broken stub swings down and looks like an odd spacer, but otherwise it is hard to spot. It is a decent way to turn a broken knife back into a user
Attachments
19E5B500-3D2F-40C7-87E1-C410BFE48D44.jpeg
886F8201-780E-4BE2-A431-9EB472A35F8A.jpeg
EE6F2595-5C62-4E3D-90F2-F86ECE984F10.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Reverand wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:39 am I did the same thing to an old Western a year or two ago. You can do it without disassembling the knife. I just used a screwdriver to flip the broken blade into the "open" position, then ground the broken stub off even with the bolster. If the knife is disassembled, the broken stub swings down and looks like an odd spacer, but otherwise it is hard to spot. It is a decent way to turn a broken knife back into a user
Reverand,
Just like I told Jeff and Eric. That is a ingenious repair ::tu:: ::tu:: I learn more on this website everyday. ::nod::

Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Well now it looks like a 34OT. New main blade and 2 used blades. Red G-10 handles. I am going to have to work on my inlay work ::dang:: The emblem recess is too big. ::dang::
Just thought I would share.
Nev
34ot red back.jpg
34ot red.jpg
34otred tang.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice Nev! Your skills improve with each knife, keep going! 8)
8)
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks Marco ::handshake::

Nev
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Very pretty!
Inlaying shields is much harder work than I thought it would be. I had a friend who was a knife mechanic. He is deceased now, but a few years ago I asked him how to inlay a shield. He showed me his method: freehand with a dremel tool!
He would look at the shield, look at the handle, carve on the handle with a dremel, then put the shield in the hole for a test fit. He might have to touch up a spot or two, but it was usually right.

I do NOT have that kind of artistic skill!
I lay the shield on the handle, fiddle with it for a while until I am certain that it is on straight, draw an outline around the shield, then sweat and carve away tiny bits at a time until it either fits, or I give up and put a new handle on it!
And THAT is why I don't install very many shields!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”