Old Timer 34OT

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Old Timer 34OT

Post by Reverand »

I replaced the Main blade in this 34OT and cleaned up the other two blades a little.
F77BC001-EA52-4762-BAAC-BF122548069B.jpeg
51743156-6094-4425-951D-263090A74B76.jpeg
5B535D69-F7D5-4098-B0C4-A9BE2DDAD3AB.jpeg
B56318C7-7733-4FB1-87AF-2A41D557EE60.jpeg
DB8D0735-673F-42F7-9758-2A2A55C2C7AF.jpeg
At first I left the Swinden key in place for the rear pen blade. After doing a test fit I noticed that the rear pen blade was stiff and had little snap. It had been fine before replacing the front blade. I took it back apart, drilled out the rear bolster and through-pinned both ends. After that it now has great walk and talk.
I had the same thing happen last year on a larger Uncle Henry stockman. Have any of you other guys experienced this? Any ideas why?
I guess it is purely an academic question, as I will probably pin both ends from now on, just curious.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
rea1eye

Re: Old Timer 34OT

Post by rea1eye »

I have a 34OT very similar to yours. You got
yourself a nice knife. Hope it sharpened well
like mine did.

Bob
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Reverand it may have only needed a bit of cutlering. Open one of the blades halfway and lay the tang on the stiddy at about a 45 degree angle, then give the high side a bit of a rap with a mallet, then turn it so the other side of the tang is on the high side and give that a rap (lightly at first). Repeat until the blade has good walk and talk. Don't overdo it or you'll make the blades too loose, check after each hit.

Eric
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Looks great Reverand! ::tu:: ::tu::
I have had the same thing happen on the Schrades. I like to save the rear key if possible. Sometimes they must not sit correct after drilling the bolsters.I have just flipped the knife over and tapped on the springs. They seem to free up.

Nev
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Thanks for the tips. The "cutlering" method sounds like how I was shown to straighten a blade that is hitting somewhere. I had not thought of going back and forth to loosen one.
I never did go back and fix that Uncle Henry with the same problem. I will try the offered advice on it and see if they work!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good work Reverand!

That is a nice CLEAN and useful knife now!

Good save!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Looks factory fresh! I agree with Eric, as sometimes it just takes a little whack this way or that to revive that action...it could also have something to do with the replaced pin, if it wasn't the same size/location as the swinden rivet.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Very nice work Reverand! I don't work on Schrades very often, but when I do, and have a loose blade or wobble issue at either end, I drill out the bolsters on both ends and replace both Swindens (like you did) with conventional pivot pins and that always seems to work. I wish that I could give you a logical explanation, but I have also found that just replacing the Swinden on one end doesn't seem to work out. I guess that you are just disrupting the order of the knife universe if you only replace the Swinden on one end. ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”