Frary A1 Warranted Resto Challenges

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Frary A1 Warranted Resto Challenges

Post by herbva »

Scott, a.k.a. "TripleF" sent me this big boy a while back for a very reasonable price, and I have been working on it off and on since it came in. According to Goins, "Frary A1 Warranted" was founded by James D, Frary in 1876 when he resigned from L.F.&C., and it went out of business in 1884. A previous owner of this knife put what looks like some handmade bolsters, held on with nails, on it (first pic). Other challenges were the part of the pen blade above the nail nick was broken off (third pic), and the original ebony scales were more than showing their age (second pic). I made some new bolsters, and welded steel back on to replace the piece missing from the pen (you can see my not-so-handy welding work in the last 3 pics) and outfitted it with new Gabon ebony scales. I'll have to learn a better way to make nail nicks, but the amateurish one I cut in the new part of the pen works well enough for now. I've seen other blades with the part above the nail nick broken off before, and I have to wonder if this may be caused by someone using a pliers to try to open a stuck blade? ::hmm::
Attachments
DSCN9255.JPG
DSCN9260.JPG
DSCN9261.JPG
DSCN9413.JPG
DSCN9394.JPG
DSCN9396.JPG
DSCN9400.JPG
DSCN9401.JPG
DSCN9407.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Frary A1 Warranted Resto Challenges

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice save, Herb. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Beautifu. I didn't know you were an AAPK memeber when you paid, I woulda tossed a little extra in the envelope.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

knice work Herb. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That’s a gorgeous looking knife now Herb. Great job on this.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Great restoral!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”